Mini Cooper Forum banner

F56 MCS Hesitation at even throttle

12K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Robby Vrs 
#1 ·
Hello!

I have a manual 2015 MCS with the JCW exhaust and tune. I have since I bought the car noticed that a strange behaviour when in MID mode, driving at even speed down any road. Between 1500-2000rpm mainly on 6th gear (around 90kph) the car jerks back and forth, much like when you're in too low revs on a manual gearbox (below or close to idle) though not as fiercely, and as soon as you give it a little more gas it smoothes out. In SPORT I can't produce the same behaviour. It has a frequency of about 5-10 Hz, and it's very easily felt even by a passenger.

As you may expect, the shop wasn't able to replicate the issue. I've been googling for days without much luck. Do you guys have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Cressell

#2 ·
Although not a Mini and also not petrol I had exactly this issue in an E46 320d, I'd be driving and at 1500 rpm the car would feel like it's misfiring slightly whilst driving at a steady speed, also felt quite easily by a passenger. I managed to solve this by taking the inlet manifold off and cleaning it as well as the EGR valve. What mileage is your car on and if it's outside of Mini servicing etc when was it last done? I would also consider a 'carbon clean' service or possibly trying injector cleaner with good fuel on your next fill up to see if anything changes

#4 ·
Thank you for your reply!

It has gone about 35k miles by now, and had a service at the MINI dealers in July (full checkup). I suppose they don't actually drive the car during those though.

Mine is a JCW and on 39,000 and hasn't done anything similar. Is yours auto or manual, if its auto does it feel as though it could be a gearbox malfunction of some sort? Also worth checking with Mini whether your fuel filter was changed on the last service. Has it started following their service?

#5 ·
It's a manual. Unfortunately, it has probably been going on since I bought the car in April, though I didn't think much of it until lately.. I'll check if it was replaced!

Managed to reproduce the issue when running in sport mode as well, so not restricted to driving modes... Very harsh in 4th gear around 1900rpm..

#6 ·
It's a manual. Unfortunately, it has probably been going on since I bought the car in April, though I didn't think much of it until lately.. I'll check if it was replaced!

Managed to reproduce the issue when running in sport mode as well, so not restricted to driving modes... Very harsh in 4th gear around 1900rpm..
I actually tried replicating this on my way home the other night and although I don't get any judder the engine note does change substantially when at about 1900-2000 rpm. If it's still under warranty it's definitely worth getting one of the Mini tech guys from your local dealer to witness the issue with you driving.

#9 ·
It sounds like you’re in too high a gear for the speed. 90kph is roughly 55mph, in my 2015 MCS at that speed I would be in 5th gear and shift into 6th around 65-70 mph. 1500-2000 rpm sounds too low for around town driving in 6th gear.
In the speedometer there is the window that recommends shifting and downshifting, what’s the car telling you when it happens? If it is telling you to drop to 5th then you probably are in too high a gear.

#10 ·
The recommendation is far much earlier than the symptom.

Anyhow! Problem solved, the chief mechanic got in touch with someone who'd solved the problem. Required two re-programmings and a few checks, about €800 and three days later the symptoms are gone. Purely software related, if anyone ever encounters something similar.

Case closed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.