Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Québec, QC, Canada and am looking to replace my 2011 Clubman S this summer.

I have reduced my list to a fully-equipped VW GTI 2015 or a fully-equipped F56 MCS. Pricing is about the same once all options are added.

What will probably make the difference is the way all infotainment and electronic features work (I love gadgets!). It's very difficult to find reliable information on how the features work as the salesmen don't know a lot about them and info on the web is very difficult to find.

I have test-driven both cars and while they're different (of course), I like the way they handle and I wouldn't mind driving either of them. That's why electronic gadgets will probably make the difference in the end.

If anyone here in Canada has a F56 with some of the electronic features, I would love to talk to you on the phone. Just drop me a PM if you're interested in sharing some info with a fellow MINI owner. I can speak French or English.

Thank you! :)

Christian

·
Registered
158 Posts
Tricky one!if the price and spec is the same then the VW is good value. Here in the UK the same spec golf would be quite a bit more than the mini. It also has a lot more space if you ever need it. But the mini economy will always be better as the car is around 200kg lighter. This also makes the mini more agile.

The mini gadgets are pretty cool too can you get a HUD with the VW?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Difficult choice - I've moved over to mini following a succession of 6 VW GTi's - from Mrk 11 to Mrk V. I changed because I was tired of being labeled predicable ie not another black GTi !! I have to say the mini has more character and now with the vastly improved technology (gadgets) you certainly wouldn't be disappointed - IMHO !! Having said all that I loved every GTi I ever owned. Bet your saying to yourself 'that's no help at all' - lol !!

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I have a friend who owns a 2014 GTI, fully-equipped and he's a bit jealous of my fully-equipped F56 MCS. The Mini's interior, with all the led lighting and the huge screen is quite impressive. The HUD is awesome too.

When I was at the "salon de l'auto" a few months ago, the VW salesman owned a Mini himself and was so excited when I told him I was considering the new Mini.

When I was younger, I owned, modified and beaten two GTI and I still have much respect for those cars. On the other hand, would I buy something from VW, it would be the next Golf R.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
We traded a MK6 1.4TSi GT convertible for the MINI. I always thought that the car was very well made, but the tech was a little clunky.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a friend who owns a 2014 GTI, fully-equipped and he's a bit jealous of my fully-equipped F56 MCS. The Mini's interior, with all the led lighting and the huge screen is quite impressive. The HUD is awesome.
Speaking about the HUD, what do you see on it here in Canada besides the speed? I know speed limits are not recognized so I guess the navigation instructions appear on the HUD. Anything else? Radio stations? Music info?

And what about the navigation in the MINI for Quebec and Canada. Any good? How does it compare to Google Maps or Plans on the iPhone?

Thanks for your thoughts. I see those two cars are interesting for everyone. I owned 8 new VW cars in the past (I still own a Jetta Wagon TDI) so I know I wouldn't be disappointed by the GTI. I just smile every time I sit in my Clubman.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally decided to go with the MINI. I have signed the contract this morning with MINI Trois-Rivières for a Volcanic Orange 2014 MINI Cooper S Hardtop.

Included options are:

Black Stripes, Roof and Mirrors
6-Speed Manual Transmission

Fully Loaded Package
  • Integrated Visual Display
  • Dynamic Damper Control
  • Comfort Access
  • Auto Dimming Interior Mirror
  • Front Center Armrest
  • Rain Sensor with Auto Headlamps
  • Automatic Climate Control
  • Panorama Sunroof
  • Heated Front Seats
  • Front Fog Lights
  • Onboard Navigation
  • Bluetooth and USB Audio
  • MINI Connected
  • Wired Package
Style Package
  • Chrome Lined Interior
  • Chrome Lined Exterior
  • Interior Trim Piano Black
LED Lights Package
  • LED Headlights
  • LED Fog Lights
  • Rear Fog Lights
  • White Turn Signals
Visibility Package
  • MINI Heads-Up Display
  • Rear View Camera
Park Assistant Package
Carbon Black Punch Leather
17" Cosmos Spoke Silver
Electric Front Window Defroster
Storage Compartment Package
Harman Kardon Sound System
LED Adaptive Headlights

I should get the car somewhere in July. Can't wait!

Reactions: taktahara

·
Registered
148 Posts
Excellent choice and congratulations on the order. Perfect colour choice!! ;)

Lots of gadgets and tech there to keep you amused for hours on end :D

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
HUD: you see the speed and you also see the mp3 tracks name when you browse with the steering wheel controls. One of the very nice thing is seeing the navigation instructions: they are very nice and clear. I think you also see who's calling but not 100% sure about that.

NAV: I don't like it because it doesn't show traffic information. I live in Montreal so it's important for me. I still use my phone for navigation during traffic periods. On the other hand, when the road is clear and no traffic around, I like the HUD navigation so much that I use it as often as possible. A nice feature is that you can search your phone contacts to enter the destination.

Speaking about the HUD, what do you see on it here in Canada besides the speed? I know speed limits are not recognized so I guess the navigation instructions appear on the HUD. Anything else? Radio stations? Music info?

And what about the navigation in the MINI for Quebec and Canada. Any good? How does it compare to Google Maps or Plans on the iPhone?

Thanks for your thoughts. I see those two cars are interesting for everyone. I owned 8 new VW cars in the past (I still own a Jetta Wagon TDI) so I know I wouldn't be disappointed by the GTI. I just smile every time I sit in my Clubman.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great. Thanks for the info.

My dealer offered me today to order the 2015 version for the same price and the same options. Only difference is that I'll get it a month later. Good deal I think!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can't really say. I guess all the little things they got wrong in the first model-year will be fixed and the resale value of the car will be higher in 3 or 4 years.

If anyone has more info on the differences, that would be nice to read.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I finally decided to go with the MINI. I should get the car somewhere in July. Can't wait!
Congrats on the order. We actually had a Mini Cooper on order with a decent spec, but due to all of the delays in GB cancelled and bought a Golf GTi instead. Unlike you, we werent that bothered about all of the latest tech, it is my wife's car and she is a bit of a luddite!

Golf has what we needed and wanted (xenons, winter pack, performance pack, sat nav) and is a much more refined drive to the Mini. Less fun but more practical. And with 230PS, pretty nippy too.

We are very happy with the new car - even the better half who wouldnt even consider anything other than another Mini when we first started looking!

Ian

·
Registered
360 Posts
Congrats on the order. We actually had a Mini Cooper on order with a decent spec, but due to all of the delays in GB cancelled and bought a Golf GTi instead. Unlike you, we werent that bothered about all of the latest tech, it is my wife's car and she is a bit of a luddite!

Golf has what we needed and wanted (xenons, winter pack, performance pack, sat nav) and is a much more refined drive to the Mini. Less fun but more practical. And with 230PS, pretty nippy too.

We are very happy with the new car - even the better half who wouldnt even consider anything other than another Mini when we first started looking!

Ian

I'm quite surprised that you find the Golf much more refined than the F56, which itself is a much more refined proposition than the R56. I haven't driven the latest Golf so I can't really comment, but I would expect it to be a good car. :)

·
Premium Member
583 Posts

Ian
Mrs W initially wanted a Golf Gti, but ironically when we went to order they quoted 6 months wait for a car specced to order....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What's the difference with the 2015 version?
I got the exact pricing for the 2015 version today. With the options I chose, the 2015 version is actually $10 cheaper than the 2014 version. The options bundles are somewhat different and that's why it's almost the same but not quite at the end.

But for the North American market, they now have added a package with the following option that was only available in Europe before, as I understand.

5AS Camera Based Driver Assistance Systems option will include (for CA$1000):

• Adaptive Cruise Control – regulates speed as well as distance from vehicle ahead
  • High-Beam Assistance – turns high-beams off and on depending on approaching traffic
  • Road Sign Recognition – visual display of current speed limit based on sign recognition
  • Pedestrian Warning & Forward Collision Mitigation – audible and visual warning of potential collision

I'm really happy about the adaptive cruise control because I know how practical it is for having used it on another car. High-beam Assistance is also nice to have, as is the Pedestrian Warning.

If the Road Sign Recognition works in North America, that is great. But since our speed limit signs are not really standard across all provinces and states (they are somewhat the same but not quite), I'm wondering how good it is. In Europe, they're all the same with the speed limit in a red circle. Here, it's mostly a rectangular white sign with the speed limit in black, sometimes with different labeling and also sometimes with a minimum speed just below (here in Québec, that's what we have). How will the MINI recognize all those différences? Could it rely on the nav system instead?

So many questions...

·
Registered
734 Posts
I think it will cross reference with the satnav data to make sure the sign it has recognized is sensible.

So when can you get a 2015 model? Do they start selling them really early? Or is it more like one from the next ship full?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mrs W initially wanted a Golf Gti, but ironically when we went to order they quoted 6 months wait for a car specced to order....
waits seem to ge getting a bit shorter, but we were quite happy to take a stock car, as long as it was red, had the cloth interior (we wanted leather in the Mini but a Golf GTi has to be tartan inside!), sat nav and didnt have 19 inch wheels!

My Mrs W is scared by the increasing technology in all cars! Apart from the Electronic Parking Brake which she has now sussed, I doubt the sat nav or the fancy music will ever get used!

Ian

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
waits seem to ge getting a bit shorter, but we were quite happy to take a stock car, as long as it was red, had the cloth interior (we wanted leather in the Mini but a Golf GTi has to be tartan inside!), sat nav and didnt have 19 inch wheels!

My Mrs W is scared by the increasing technology in all cars! Apart from the Electronic Parking Brake which she has now sussed, I doubt the sat nav or the fancy music will ever get used!

Ian
Sadly our local dealer only had one in stock and it didn't have the NAV which we wanted. You are so right about the tartan though!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts