Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
very subtle changes from R56 to F56, I like them quite alot

the front end is much better with a nice full mouth, as well as the rear fascia.... well done MINI...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Very good changes, still rather have the older tail light design as it seems to suit the overall vehicles design much better to me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
im so surprised when i see negative comments, I guess the mini team cant please everyone, personally i like all the Minis, im looking forward to not have back ache in the new one at the end of a long ride as I hear its more comfortable but more reserved, lets compare them to rollercoasters where the old ones, like the wooden structures from old, scary and rickety never knowing iif your gonna get off alive where as the new ones are seamless maybe a little more predictable but at the same time has the fun factor :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Very similar, but it's quite apparent when parked side by side how much larger (longer) the F56 is. And that's not a bad thing either IMO.

·
Registered
280 Posts
very subtle changes from R56 to F56, I like them quite alot

the front end is much better with a nice full mouth, as well as the rear fascia.... well done MINI...
What year model is shown?

·
Registered
F57 Sidewalk Edition Cooper S
46 Posts
I also prefer the new one, by the way the fuel cap has been changed , now is in the other side (passenger).

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
Yes and they have swapped the cruise controls.

·
Registered
96 Posts
And also the controls on the other side of the steering wheel have now all rotated 90 degrees for some strange reason

·
Registered
3 Posts
Most impressive with the f56 is how it now truly feels like a luxurious and sporty smallish car. My other cars are a BMW 640D M-Sport (for the long cruises) and a proper race car (for the track). I am finding that the new MINI is at a perfect intersection between the two other cars. It has the luxurious finish akin to the BMW and handling on B-roads closer in feel to the race car. I have the adjustable chassis option on the f56 and it is well worth it.

Now, the achievement of blending luxury and sport with such success is a true feat of design and engineering. Hats off! I cannot think of many other cars that did it so well. With current trends for oversizing (including the MINI) most sport cars (e.g. New 911 and all competitors in this segment) have outgrown their function and the required stiff suspension to keep the added girth in check makes them utterly uncomfortable and near undeivable on all but the smoothest and widest of roads--what is their proportion in the UK? Being 6 foot 4, it is hard for me to find a small car sufficiently spacious and comfortable inside. But the MINI is that small car. I drove it from Scotland to Provence and back this Summer.

I could have bought instead a Porsche 997, which I seriously considered, but it is not sufficiently nimble on small roads and driving fun comes only at license-withdrawing speeds. The f56 S is that good!

·
Registered
41 Posts
When I first saw the new MINI's it wasn't love at first sight. I was like what happened to the pug-nose-like bonnet. This thing looks like some kind of weird fish, especially with the led headlights that look like some kind of weird eyeballs. But it grew on me like some kind of fungus. :D

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Well said gentlemen. Spoken like a true group of fanboys. But, after all it's an F56 site. While I'm growing to like my 2015 more all the time, I by no means think everything is superior to the R56. My R56 gave me 130K relatively trouble free miles. That's 210K kilometers. They changed a few things that IMO didn't need changing, like the window switches and why on earth change the gas filler to the other side? Made for an embarrassing moment at the gas pumps the day I took delivery. And, as much as I'm growing fonder of the F, I just can't get this picture out of my mind when I see it from the front.

·
Registered
375 Posts
The F56 is not perfect but name one car that is.

I had to get used to the large tail lights and prefer the slimmer ones of the older model but that's just details. And for the fuel cap? Finally is on the correct side, at least for those with the steering wheel on the correct side ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
I much prefer the window switches. Fuel filer cap. Who cares!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi,
The fuel filler cap is now as it should be.
As a UK driver I now get out of my car at the pumps and its there on the correct side, passengers don't tend to fill cars up with fuel ........

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've moved from R56 to F56. I read a number of press reviews starting that the front of the car is ugly, personally I think it's fine. At the end of the day is down to personal choice.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
...why on earth change the gas filler to the other side? Made for an embarrassing moment at the gas pumps the day I took delivery...
Because that's the BMW way! I don't think it has anything to do with which side the driver is. Most, if not all, Bimmers have the filler cap on the "right side". A MINI is still a MINI, but it "is" a member of the BMW family after all....not a bad thing whatsoever imo.

John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.