Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over on Facebook a Mini One owner has reported that her clutch started sticking. Been in to the dealers and told she needs a new engine due to excessive end play with the crankshaft.

And there we all were, imagining the problem only affected the Cooper S...

·
Registered
7 Posts
As I said in the clutch sticking thread, had my engine replaced last week..... Mini One 10200 miles. Axial crankshaft play.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This is probably the first thing that has worried me about the F56. Needing engine replacements is definitely not a good thing and there does seem to be a good number of people with this issue (Although its hard to say). Has anybody noticed any trend in terms of build dates? I've noticed a lot of late/2014 models/early 2015 models. Does anybody know if there has been any re-design?

My understanding is that the engine in this gen MINI is also in other BMWs. Are any BMWs facing this same problem?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Those are good questions JP, certainly about the BMWs that use the same engine.
Perhaps it is only manuals that develop the crankshaft problem, due to clutch activation loading, so if many BMWs including the i8, which has the 1.5 engine are automatic, then the frequency of the problem will be less than in Minis which are more likely to be manuals, perhaps?

So far, I have only heard of it in MCS cars of both 2014 and I believe 2015, and the sole 1.2 "one" of 2014 of which there may be more but not reported on the forums.

If the 1.5 engines begin to have the same issues, BMW will have major difficulty.

VW may not be alone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts