Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that made the differences between cars clearer. So a few years ago I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to track cars closely as they age.

We've been providing reliability stats for a while for the R MINIs, and I'd like to do the same for the F56. Just a matter of getting enough owners involved.

Participants report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, following the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the F56, for free. I'll share results for the F56 in this thread after each update.

http://www.truedelta.com/join

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 3500 miles in 3 months on my cooper S. The only notable thing mine has had was the battery stopped charging for a very short time. Just long enough to need a jump. The dealership charged it up for 16 hours and it's never repeated the problem.

The car no longer drains battery while it's turned off and I've never had a problem since.

They claim it was from my radar detector. To this day I do not remove it from the car overnight and the Mini does not power the device while the ecu is asleep.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My F56 Mini Cooper S died on the highway at 3300 km (2050 miles). I was lucky to exit an off ramp and stop the car safely despite the seized steering and brakes. Dealer said "most likely the alternator died" and had no replacement parts because it's a "new" model. The wait time to order the part was unknown. I was happy to get rid of the car.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Like many other f56 mcs had engine failure due to play on the crankshaft at 2500 miles only fix total engine and gearbox replacement . Rejected the car and am about to order the f56 jcw if you are intrested on feedback from that car am willing to join when it arrives

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To get the F56 started in the survey I have combined the 2014s and 2015s, as I often do when a new model launches late in a model year. For both years together we have 29 signed up so far. A good start, but more would be better.

Like many other f56 mcs had engine failure due to play on the crankshaft at 2500 miles only fix total engine and gearbox replacement . Rejected the car and am about to order the f56 jcw if you are intrested on feedback from that car am willing to join when it arrives
Please do. Realize, though, that we only count problems that appear after someone joins, so to track the new car from the start it's necessary to join before you pick it up.

·
Registered
111 Posts
To get the F56 started in the survey I have combined the 2014s and 2015s, as I often do when a new model launches late in a model year. For both years together we have 29 signed up so far. A good start, but more would be better
Interesting - I hadn't heard of truedelta before. Anyway, I signed up. And here's hoping that few MINI F55/F56 owners will suffer from any problems...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, guys.

TrueDelta's reliability stats for the Hardtop now cover the year ending June 30, 2015. (Others are over a year behind, and so report how these cars were doing when a year younger.) Repair trips per 100 cars:

2014-2015 Hardtop: 31, moderate -- decent start for the F56

For the descriptions of all reported repairs, results for other models, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Mini Hardtop reliability ratings and comparisons

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I am a member of true delta. I get an Email once in the while to take a short survey to find out if my Mini was in the shop or not and what was needed. I like delta because you give feedback by owners of the car and it is somewhat more realistic and up to date.

·
Registered
42 Posts
mine has been a horror

2015 cooper s 6sp, sport pack, built in late 2014. i have owned for 5 weeks, started making a horrible sound from engine, dealer replaced transmission, got it back friday last week, noise returned sat morning. dealer picked up car on Sunday, was running like crap, even backfired. may need new engine at 600 miles. I have told dealer that i want my money back. i should hear what is going to happen today or tomorrow.

I cannot express my disappointment with this. i loved the car but i have had 4 loaners in 4\5 weeks. my 25 and 30 year old bmw's have never needed this kind of work. BMW told the dealer to replace the tranny when they should know about the 2014\2015 6spd issues and how it damages the engine.

I am hoping the dealer does the right thing and takes the car back...

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Atlanta, I agree with you it will leave a bitter taste in your Mouth about the Brand. Hopefully the Dealer will do the correct thing and get it all sorted out for you. I would be upset too the joy of getting a new car and than that. A good Dealer will do the right thing if not get Mini USA into the game. Keep us posted and good luck. Hope you will stick with the Mini Brand.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Atlanta, I agree with you it will leave a bitter taste in your Mouth about the Brand. Hopefully the Dealer will do the correct thing and get it all sorted out for you. I would be upset too the joy of getting a new car and than that. A good Dealer will do the right thing if not get Mini USA into the game. Keep us posted and good luck. Hope you will stick with the Mini Brand.
yeah, this is my first brand new car since 2002, i wanted something new to drive to my new job to not put miles on my vintage rides...

i think the dealer will take care of me.. they are a new shop and have a good rep here in the atl.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We've updated our reliability stats for the Hardtop to include owner experiences through September 30, 2015. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2014-2015 Hardtop: 23, low (which is good)

For the details, including repair descriptions, and to sign up to help improve this information (more participants = more precise stats):

MINI reliability ratings and comparisons

·
Registered
890 Posts
Could they not differentiate between the various "hardtop" models?

The S model has had a hard time with reliability, but the Cooper seems to be relatively OK.

I don't know about the Mini One, no-one has complained about it as far as I know!

And then there are the Diesels, with their own issues, or not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We've updated our reliability stats for the MINI Hardtop to include owner experiences through the end of 2015, about eight months ahead of other sources. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year--lower is better:

2014-2015 Hardtop: 41, moderate

For the repairs behind these stats, reliability information on other models, and to sign up to help improve this information:

MINI reliability ratings and comparisons

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We've updated our reliability stats for the standard-sized Minis to include owner experiences through June 30, 2016. Reliability information elsewhere is based on a survey conducted in April 2015--well over a year ago.

In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year (lower is better):

2014-2015 Hardtop: 40, high

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2014-2015 Hardtop: 75, 3

Additional participants needed to also cover the 2016 and 2017.

For the repairs behind these stats, reliability information on other models, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Mini reliability ratings and comparisons

1 - 20 of 22 Posts