Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im ready for giving the mini a machine polish and a glass coating, its with me for the year and is a good car to get back to machine polishing and my first go with the coating, gone for an enthusiast friendly one, Gyeon Prime.

Has anyone carried out correction work on the new mini, because I wont the car I didn't know when it was coming and it was prep'd, its not too bad condition but a few holograms say to me Mini have wazzed a rotary around it.

If anyone has what sort of paint readings did you get, mine seem quite low, also the roof is white and much thicker, I presume its painted and not wrapped??

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
Hi they paint the shell then paint the roof again in black or white, hence it is thicker. J

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi they paint the shell then paint the roof again in black or white, hence it is thicker. J
thanks, I brought it up on detailing world and they said same, the roofs are painted afterwards, wouldn't have minded all red, I wasn't sure at first but the white its grown on me, black roof with black wheels I thick would be very smart.

this was a reply on DW regarding thickness of paint

'Mini does have VERY low readings on the modern ones. I believe they have been approached a number of times on this subject and stated that their paint system is thin due to a new primer/base system. Instead of the base, colour, clear we are all used to. Last readings i saw were all in the 70's and some below'

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
Ah well looks nice to me! As good if not better finish on anycar I've seen. Certainly better than a friend's new bmw!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah well looks nice to me! As good if not better finish on anycar I've seen. Certainly better than a friend's new bmw!
ive got some pictures and done a right up of the polishing and applying the Gyeon Coating, which is a better section to post it in? pictures or washing and detailing?

·
Super Moderator
7,902 Posts
I reckon detailing best. Bet it looks nice?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Bit of a late post but all my thickness readings were around the 70-80 mark. The car has been machine polished twice now due to the dealer ruining it both times they washed it so although a thin paint there must be reasonable amount of clear coat :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys, I've got quick question about paint thickness on Mini.

As you've mentioned roof has 2nd layer because it's painted in white or black but what if roof is the same colour as body? Would it be painted second time with this colour too?

Thanks,
D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, quick question for one thing that confuses me for a while now...

If roof colour matches body colour, would it be painted 2nd time? Hence readings are higher on the roof.

I saw a good condition Mini in grey, readings are just fine everywhere but roof is about twice as much even it's grey too.

Thanks,
D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys, long time away but still mini-less :( finding the rules a bit tricky for the sales section. I dont know if im allowed to post to say that im selling a chipex kit an item on ebay that no longer required. Obviously dont know the price as if it makes a penny then ill sell it for that. Didnt see any other chipex kits on ebay when i looked several months back so hopefully a bargain for someone. Thanks.

Hope this is allowed (if not admins sorry and just delete it)

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Dont know if that will answer your question.

First impressions count, so one of the most important details is the look of a car, and of course its colour. The quality processes also ensure the painted finish is capable of protecting the vehicles from the environmental influences and corrosion.

During quality inspections at several points throughout the process, all imperfections and any dust particles are removed. A unique process of "feather-dusting" the car using female ostrich feathers to remove any remaining dust traces is final preparation process before the colour paint layer is applied.

The final colour application processes have advanced to an efficient, state-of-the art automated processes, which delivers precise transfer efficiency of the water based paint materials with minimum waste. Paint material and water recycling facilities also ensure we support the environment.

It takes approximately 10 hours for a body shell to pass through the process of applying the various paint layers, from its corrosion protection layer through to its glossy Clearcoat layer; of course there is still the option to have a separate contrast roof colour.

Plant Oxford was the first BMW Group plant to use the environmentally friendly Integrated Paint Process (IPP), which completely eliminates the primer coat application and oven stage. It also brings energy savings and a reduction in emissions in the paint shop of well over 10%. For the introduction of the new MINI, the paintshop now has a new seam seal line and a fully automated top coat spray booth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts