Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking to buy the rear brake caliper tool to reset (rotate) the caliper piston. Promini makes one that says it is for F56 (Part # 143293) but when you look at the list of applicable models, it says "2007-2014 F56". I question this applicability list because obviously the F56 didn't come out until 2014.

There are other set available that have multiple discs of different sizes to fit a range of vehicles, such as the Neiko 20733A, but it does not have a fitment list.

Can someone who has actually done a rear brake job on an F56 tell me what set they have used? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
You can carefully get a pair of thin nose good quality pliers onto the piston and turn it to screw it in but being careful not to slip and damage the boot or draper do a very cheap cube with differently spaced blobs on it if you're in UK that attaches to a square socket drive . Very simple. You could probably make your own?

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can carefully get a pair of thin nose good quality pliers onto the piston and turn it to screw it in but being careful not to slip and damage the boot or draper do a very cheap cube with differently spaced blobs on it if you're in UK that attaches to a square socket drive . Very simple. You could probably make your own?
Oh boy be very very careful if you try this, unless you like the idea of buying new calipers.

The tool is not expensive, will never wear out, works on the front brakes too and makes retracting the pistons a piece of cake (you can even impress all your friends)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/oem-disc-brake-tool-11-pcs-1250001p.html#srp

·
Registered
20 Posts
Harbor Freight has the same caliper kit for $29.95 :)

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
I have never damaged the caliper using the pliers but you could damage the dust boot around the piston if you slipped..you do need to be careful and the tool or a tool is a much better bet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Before i tackle the front brakes do they need the piston reset tool the same as the back or can I get away with pushing them back in?

·
Registered
436 Posts
did anyone in the UK get one of these from somewhere??

im looking at doing it.. and yes i can use plier but u rather a tool for the sake of £20

·
Super Moderator
7,898 Posts
Plenty about-eurocarparts do them for less that £20 or do an ebay search-just a winder with pegs that engage in the caliper or i bought a block with pegs on that a socket spanner fits in -draper.

·
Registered
68 Posts
how about this on amazon

[ame]https://www.amazon.co.uk/FreeTec-22pcs-Heavy-Caliper-Replacement/dp/B075S7BQMK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1524662984&sr=8-7&keywords=brake+piston+wind+back+tool[/ame]

there are loads of copies of this 22 piece some for double the price.

this one was the cheapest i saw

regards peter

·
Registered
34 Posts
Halfords sell something, its in the shape of a cube and is £7. Its all i used, there is a hole in the centre for a half inch drive, it did the job for me. It might be a bit more of a struggle if the calipers are stiff though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts