Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MINI COOPER AND MINI COOPER S RECALLED TO FIX TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/20...problems.shtml

December 27, 2014 — The MINI Cooper Hardtop has traveled rough roads the past few months with the announcement 1,928 model year 2014-2015 MINI Cooper and MINI Cooper S Hardtop 2-door cars have transmission problems.

This recall follows the December 16 recall of about 850 model year 2015 MINI Cooper 2-door Hardtops to fix problems with the seats. In November, the 2014 MINI Cooper Hardtop 2-door was recalled because the spare tire could separate from the car.

Then in October 2014, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said BMW would be forced to lower its miles per gallon values on the 2014 MINI Cooper.

BMW now says if the 2014-2015 MINI Cooper or MINI Cooper S Hardtop 2-door has been in a service department, the dealers might have mistakenly reprogrammed the transmission control units. The automaker says the transmission control unit might have software problems that can cause a driver to believe the car is in "park" when it's not. The car could roll down the street because the transmission really wasn't in park.

MINI Cooper says the recall will start February 1, 2015. The automaker says the problem can be fixed by reprogramming the transmission control module with the correct software.

Owners of the 2014-2015 MINI Cooper and MINI Cooper S Hardtop 2-door cars can contact the automaker at 866-825-1525.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I presume this is no longer a problem for cars that are being shipped? My Cooper S finished production 12/10/14, and is currently on a ship making it's way across the pond. Will this still affect me? Or, if it is affected, will it be fixed at the VDC before making it's way to my dealer?

EDIT: Just looked into it further, is it just for vehicles manufactured January 6, 2014, to October 17, 2014?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Just for automatics, nothing to do with the jumping out of gear in manual boxes apparently.
That seems to be dealt with on a car by car basis.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Do some not think of it as an emergency brake only, and just use "park" to hold the car when parked? Bit risky, I would have thought. (Hence the recall, I suppose.)
Back in the day when I learned how to drive They always told us to set the parking brake and not rely upon the transmission to hold the car in place. Apparently there were enough failures of the pawl that engages the shaft inside the transmission to hold it fixed in place to warrant such advice.

So I always set the parking brake firmly, even when the car is an automatic. I just yelled at my kids a couple of weeks back, in fact, regaling them with old-fogey exhortations that largely swooped over their heads. Darn kids these days.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just for automatics, nothing to do with the jumping out of gear in manual boxes apparently.
That seems to be dealt with on a car by car basis.
An italian owner has the same problem.
The workshop will change the strings of the gear.

·
Registered
24 Posts
"What is this handbrake you speak of?" Says most automatic customers. :p
When I park, I like to engage the handbrake before placing the auto-tranny in Park. That way the automatic transmission has no load to contend with (unless the handbrake is slipping). Automatics sometimes get stuck in Park when the incline is steep. It's also good to exercise the handbrake, otherwise it may not release when it is actually used someday. Kudos to MINI for fitting an audible handbrake warning in case you start to drive away with the handbrake on! I once drove my MGB with the handbrake partially engaged and smoked the rear brakes.

Bobby D.

·
Registered
254 Posts
When I park, I like to engage the handbrake before placing the auto-tranny in Park. That way the automatic transmission has no load to contend with (unless the handbrake is slipping). Automatics sometimes get stuck in Park when the incline is steep. It's also good to exercise the handbrake, otherwise it may not release when it is actually used someday. Kudos to MINI for fitting an audible handbrake warning in case you start to drive away with the handbrake on! I once drove my MGB with the handbrake partially engaged and smoked the rear brakes.

Bobby D.
I've strangely only ever driven cars with automatic handbrakes (except when passing my test). As you may know with those you just drive away and they turn off, and when you turn off the vehicle it turns it it on.

I'm going to have to train myself to be very aware of the handbrake... :|

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've strangely only ever driven cars with automatic handbrakes (except when passing my test). As you may know with those you just drive away and they turn off, and when you turn off the vehicle it turns it it on.

I'm going to have to train myself to be very aware of the handbrake... :|
Me too, the last 5 years I've been driving with an electric h/b - as you say you just drive off and it disengages automatically, when I get my new mini I hope I won't be driving arouind with the handbrake still on :eek:

·
Registered
4,861 Posts

ronton 2-Pk. Aircraft Wheel Chocks — Small Size, Ribbed Rubber

Just put those in the Trunk and you do not have to mess with a Hand Brake:D They are also pretty handy for shopping carts no chance the shopping cart will roll and scratch your paint while you load up the trunk.;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts