Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Reliability: The F56 is a strong inline 4 motor that needs normal maintenance and it has great reliability. Most people get their oil changes at 6-7k miles, which is an awful idea. 3.5-4.5k miles is the prime time to change your oil. Engines naturally wear down and people seem to forget this. Also, your turbo will thank you. Trans fluid done every 20-30k miles and same with a coolant flush would be a good idea. (Remember, people tend to run these engines into the ground so, you need to put in the effort for maintenance.)

Performance: a normal cold air intake is also not going to help you get gains. An Eventuri racing cold air intake comes with a real hoodscoop with forced air induction. This will help you with actual gains. On top of that, a foot intercooler and an exhaust system. Don't forget to upgrade you spark plugs before you get the tune though. Ignition coils
aren't necessary. A GTS race chip would be a great choice and you won't have ECU issues from the tune. These upgrades only work if you get an actual tune though. Suspension could help with handling. But, a stage 2 clutch can be held off on for a little while. BMW has good manual transmissions that last forever and their inline 4 and inline 6 are notorious for being powerful and well built. The 1 series BMW is great. Just do research on your Minis. 15+ are great

·
Super Moderator
7,236 Posts
Have to say your oil regime is at odds with mini who in the UK say 18000miles or every two years BUT I agree and change ours every year or 6000miles. Oil looks ok on our roadster turbo at this. But if you want to do 3or 4k fine can't harm. Coolant also agree. Mini say filled for life but no way and I do mine every 4years.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I thought intercooler and exhaust will give most gains, I don’t think an Eventuri is worth the little bhp gains (price per hp ratio). CAI on these are more for sound if anything?

Your oil changes are a bit excessive, but then again I suppose you can’t do any harm with more frequent oil changes either, it’s your money at end of the day.

And yes I agree with Jeremy, coolant tends to break down after 4 years so doesn’t retain the same properties, so it’s wise to change after this. Despite BMW saying that it’s a lifetime thing (lol).

·
Super Moderator
7,236 Posts
If you ask Mini to do it as I di(v reasonable at£90 you'll have to force/persuade them!

Reactions: ventmore

·
Registered
505 Posts
That does seem reasonable......I know the guys quite well in the local dealer so I'll get them to tack it onto the next service. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have to say your oil regime is at odds with mini who in the UK say 18000miles or every two years BUT I agree and change ours every year or 6000miles. Oil looks ok on our roadster turbo at this. But if you want to do 3or 4k fine can't harm. Coolant also agree. Mini say filled for life but no way and I do mine every 4years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Please verify this information from other sources, my disclaimer.

I did a lot of research before buying my new to me 2017 Cooper stick December 2020 (it is 23 Feb 2021 now). For the 2014 and into 2015 the motors can have crank walk. Recommend 2016 forward. That said:

1. These motors (3 and 4 cylinder that stare the same one) motor mounts fail. Some at 30k (mine), some at 70k. I know several people that failed in the 50-70k range. An updated part number in 2015 does not seem to improve it.

2. Front control arms bushings get noisy and need replacement

From reading several sources tons of people say "reliable" or "problem free".There were two outliers that listed many issues. They are:

1) Replacement drivetrain due to jumping out of first gear
2) Door mirror (reflective mirror) fell out due to faulty clips, wouldn't clip in
3) Crackling speakers (not rectified due to no fault shown on computer)
4) Driver's door glass rattling
5) Paint rub from seals, they put silicone on
6) Registration plates kept falling off (their adhesive was shite)
7) Paint rub from seals (second time), replaced all seals with the notion they'd need to be replaced again due to MINI UK not having a method of fixing this issue.
8) Squeaking door armrest, they added silicone which stained my door card
9) Broken door trim, kept falling out probably due to replacement armrest being incorrectly installed
10) Door armrest extremely loose, almost falling off (literally) - they replaced the entire door card due to the armrest and subsequent staining
11) Seat back mechanisms replaced under a recall.

AND

1 seat covers badly fitted; replaced
2 exhaust silencer; from day one, replaced
3 rear shock absorbers; replaced
4 USB port; pins bent when putting flash drive in, replaced
5 electric folding mirror; make noise and had juddery mechanism, replaced
6 dash seemed to have a screw, or similar, rolling around
7 glass didn't stay in position; rattled and knocked. Four attempts to fix, including all parts replaced, failed to fix.
8 dealer and mini useless

JD Powers had MINI as 32out of 32 brand in terms of relibaly in the Gen 2 days. The 2019 JD Power Reliability rating, this covers the span of 3 years for cars 3 years older i.e. 2016, put the F56 as the most reliable sporty compact. Over all other brands. That clinched it for me. Subsequent years were not as high.

So, in summary objective and subjectively the car is reliable. Still expensive to fix when it breaks, but reliable.

·
Super Moderator
7,236 Posts
Yes think you probably listed every fault people have had on here. Getting all of them is unlikely and bad luck. Some have been fixed free and only applied to a small batch of cars.

Reactions: cargusjoh

·
Registered
35 Posts
In the grand scheme of things these cars seem pretty reliable and don’t appear to be ticking time bombs.

Maybe it’s my perception, but most (not all), of the list seems to be minor things that don’t really affect the day to day driving. If it does it’s still cheap to replace and fix (relatively), bar the drivetrain; long story, had an X1 with same issue about 4 years ago with it popping out of gear or refusing to go in, chain was rattling, handed it back, worst car I’ve had or driven..

Also most of these issues, if not all appear to be resolved within the warranty time period. It would be a different story say if we are expecting the chain or engine to go at around 70k-100k miles (certain other BMW engines!).

Good maintenance is key to keeping a long lasting mechanicals at the end of the day. Everything else we don’t really have much control over, and it’s pot luck.

Another thing I would add is the carbon build up on valves.
My car has only done 30k miles, so I don’t think it’s much of an issue just now. But I know it’s very common for direct injection engines to have carbon build up, so perhaps it’s a good idea to have a walnut blast after 5 years if you’re really OCD about maintenance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I do enjoy the Mini and think it is a great car, thats why I am on to my third. My first Mini was a pimlico which had electrical issues and the inside lights would just turn on for no reason and Mini could never get to the bottom of it. I then changed it for a Mini roadster which had clutch problems from the start, it was new when I bought it, and after lots of hassle, the Mini dealer that I bought it from took it back and I was given a full refund because they could not fix it. I then changed it for a new F56.

The last time I visited Mini, the person on the desk asked if I wanted a print out of the work that had been done to the car. I have never been offered that before. It was about 3 years old at the time. I know I have had to visit the garage quite a few times for different things but they joked that they hadn't seen as many things done to a car, the print out is like a book. These are just some of the things it has had done.
  • Remove/replace and install the radio remote control receiver because of permanent malfunction
  • Replace the outside left door handle support including lock barrel
  • Replace front drivers seat, replace seat frame + bowden cable + seat rail + seat mechanism
  • Replace central instrument including ring cover LED
  • Roof Lining material/moulded roof lining loose. Remove and replace trim panel for left and right front roof pillar
  • Remove and install/replace control unit for steering column switch cluster SZL including coil spring assembly
  • Washer fluid reservoir/windscreen washer system loose. Replace the washer fluid reservoir for the window washer system
  • Install edge protector on door aperture inside front doors. (After repairing paintwork)
  • Replace steering wheel because of horn operation and steering wheel stiff to move
  • Replace all glow plugs due to permanent failure
This was all before the warranty ended and when the car had about 24k miles

I had a Mini dash cam fit front and back and had to be refunded through my credit card as it failed.

I have had to have a replacement EGR valve and the exhaust pressure pipe blocked with carbon and had to be fixed. I do interim oil and filter changes too. I was then told by some Mini garages that my car might need to be recalled because of an EGR cooler recall but to find out I would have to pay a diagnostic fees.

I think the F56 is a step up from the previous versions of the Mini, I just wish it was more reliable and put together a bit better. It just makes me wonder what is going to go next, although the car has had so many parts replaced, it is nearly brand new!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It
I thought intercooler and exhaust will give most gains, I don’t think an Eventuri is worth the little bhp gains (price per hp ratio). CAI on these are more for sound if anything?

Your oil changes are a bit excessive, but then again I suppose you can’t do any harm with more frequent oil changes either, it’s your money at end of the day.

And yes I agree with Jeremy, coolant tends to break down after 4 years so doesn’t retain the same properties, so it’s wise to change after this. Despite BMW saying that it’s a lifetime thing (lol).
I was giving a simple example. Exhaust doesn't give gains, but forced air induction through their system does. Intercooler is for longevity so yes. Great idea. But, the more you drive your vehicle the more frequent flushes for fluids are needed. Also, metal shavings cause we know that oil isn't going to be good for 7k miles. We have fun in minis. Love your thought and input!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do enjoy the Mini and think it is a great car, thats why I am on to my third. My first Mini was a pimlico which had electrical issues and the inside lights would just turn on for no reason and Mini could never get to the bottom of it. I then changed it for a Mini roadster which had clutch problems from the start, it was new when I bought it, and after lots of hassle, the Mini dealer that I bought it from took it back and I was given a full refund because they could not fix it. I then changed it for a new F56.

The last time I visited Mini, the person on the desk asked if I wanted a print out of the work that had been done to the car. I have never been offered that before. It was about 3 years old at the time. I know I have had to visit the garage quite a few times for different things but they joked that they hadn't seen as many things done to a car, the print out is like a book. These are just some of the things it has had done.
  • Remove/replace and install the radio remote control receiver because of permanent malfunction
  • Replace the outside left door handle support including lock barrel
  • Replace front drivers seat, replace seat frame + bowden cable + seat rail + seat mechanism
  • Replace central instrument including ring cover LED
  • Roof Lining material/moulded roof lining loose. Remove and replace trim panel for left and right front roof pillar
  • Remove and install/replace control unit for steering column switch cluster SZL including coil spring assembly
  • Washer fluid reservoir/windscreen washer system loose. Replace the washer fluid reservoir for the window washer system
  • Install edge protector on door aperture inside front doors. (After repairing paintwork)
  • Replace steering wheel because of horn operation and steering wheel stiff to move
  • Replace all glow plugs due to permanent failure
This was all before the warranty ended and when the car had about 24k miles

I had a Mini dash cam fit front and back and had to be refunded through my credit card as it failed.

I have had to have a replacement EGR valve and the exhaust pressure pipe blocked with carbon and had to be fixed. I do interim oil and filter changes too. I was then told by some Mini garages that my car might need to be recalled because of an EGR cooler recall but to find out I would have to pay a diagnostic fees.

I think the F56 is a step up from the previous versions of the Mini, I just wish it was more reliable and put together a bit better. It just makes me wonder what is going to go next, although the car has had so many parts replaced, it is nearly brand new!
Thanks for the input man! I haven't had as many issues tbh. I am a bit of a wrencher myself, so I keep everything well maintained. Maybe environment and conditions gave change to your car. So far, I've experienced nothing major. Just needed to clean my brakes off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please verify this information from other sources, my disclaimer.

I did a lot of research before buying my new to me 2017 Cooper stick December 2020 (it is 23 Feb 2021 now). For the 2014 and into 2015 the motors can have crank walk. Recommend 2016 forward. That said:

1. These motors (3 and 4 cylinder that stare the same one) motor mounts fail. Some at 30k (mine), some at 70k. I know several people that failed in the 50-70k range. An updated part number in 2015 does not seem to improve it.

2. Front control arms bushings get noisy and need replacement

From reading several sources tons of people say "reliable" or "problem free".There were two outliers that listed many issues. They are:

1) Replacement drivetrain due to jumping out of first gear
2) Door mirror (reflective mirror) fell out due to faulty clips, wouldn't clip in
3) Crackling speakers (not rectified due to no fault shown on computer)
4) Driver's door glass rattling
5) Paint rub from seals, they put silicone on
6) Registration plates kept falling off (their adhesive was shite)
7) Paint rub from seals (second time), replaced all seals with the notion they'd need to be replaced again due to MINI UK not having a method of fixing this issue.
8) Squeaking door armrest, they added silicone which stained my door card
9) Broken door trim, kept falling out probably due to replacement armrest being incorrectly installed
10) Door armrest extremely loose, almost falling off (literally) - they replaced the entire door card due to the armrest and subsequent staining
11) Seat back mechanisms replaced under a recall.

AND

1 seat covers badly fitted; replaced
2 exhaust silencer; from day one, replaced
3 rear shock absorbers; replaced
4 USB port; pins bent when putting flash drive in, replaced
5 electric folding mirror; make noise and had juddery mechanism, replaced
6 dash seemed to have a screw, or similar, rolling around
7 glass didn't stay in position; rattled and knocked. Four attempts to fix, including all parts replaced, failed to fix.
8 dealer and mini useless

JD Powers had MINI as 32out of 32 brand in terms of relibaly in the Gen 2 days. The 2019 JD Power Reliability rating, this covers the span of 3 years for cars 3 years older i.e. 2016, put the F56 as the most reliable sporty compact. Over all other brands. That clinched it for me. Subsequent years were not as high.

So, in summary objective and subjectively the car is reliable. Still expensive to fix when it breaks, but reliable.
Tbh, you listed way more problems from actual recalls. Your sources must be off by quite a bit. Engine mounts haven't been a problem with my 2015. But, maybe taking care of your vehicle a little more might help. :) Also, I'm more about performance and maintanance. It's an engine and transmission that lasts forever. Everything else can be easily avoided by normal lubrication and regular cleaning. If you have any questions I can give you tips.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re oil change intervals, I had a 2004 Volvo V70R (turbo 5), and was active in the online community. There were at least 7 people the did blackstone oil analysis at 7K miles and the oils showed fine, no need to replace. So I do think synthetics can last at least 7k. But 10 and 15k no way. Had anyone done Blackstone analysis on MINI oils? If so what miles and results?
EDIT TO ADD LINK Blackstone Laboratories

1 - 16 of 16 Posts