Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having intermittent popping noise when going over slight bumps, or big dips in the road.

Basically any kind of weight transfer to the front end makes this noise.

The noise is pretty loud and sounds more like a banging noise coming from the front end.

What could this be?

I've heard it could be the sway bar end links?

Anyone experience this?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yep mine does it too...been to the dealer about it and apparently there is a "notice" on the control arms but it is currently pending a redesign...the dealer said it's not a safety concern just more annoying than anything but until mini creates a redesigned part we will have to wait...

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep mine does it too...been to the dealer about it and apparently there is a "notice" on the control arms but it is currently pending a redesign...the dealer said it's not a safety concern just more annoying than anything but until mini creates a redesigned part we will have to wait...

Could you describe your noise?

Mine isn't always there. It comes and goes. And its on both sides of the front.

Mine is very noticeable when its cold outside. It just started doing this maybe a month ago.

:(

·
Registered
768 Posts
I just had my 2015 MCS fixed in September. On mine they replaced front control arms and after a noise was still present on the test drive they installed new wishbones and set the alignment. All good now. Take it in, I don't have it with me but there is a bulletin for it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
How long did they have the car?
They had it two days because the needed permission from MINI to replace the wishbones under warranty. If it was only the lower control arms as it was originally thought to be then it would have been one day. I had a loaner car so it wasn't a big deal.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just had my 2015 MCS fixed in September. On mine they replaced front control arms and after a noise was still present on the test drive they installed new wishbones and set the alignment. All good now. Take it in, I don't have it with me but there is a bulletin for it.
Could you send me a picture of the bulletin when you get a chance? Or did the dealer not give it to you?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Could you send me a picture of the bulletin when you get a chance? Or did the dealer not give it to you?
I don't have a copy of the bulletin but on my receipt it lists the bulletin numbers. I can post them tonight when I get home.
In my case it wasn't a screw, my control arm bushings were blown out, they showed them to me. My car sounded like the front end was coming apart driving over any speed bump or driveway at any speed, didn't matter if the wheels were turned or straight. They replaced the bushings first and then ended up replacing the lower control arms and then the wishbones.

I have the tech notes, I'll try to post a picture of it after work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have a copy of the bulletin but on my receipt it lists the bulletin numbers. I can post them tonight when I get home.
In my case it wasn't a screw, my control arm bushings were blown out, they showed them to me. My car sounded like the front end was coming apart driving over any speed bump or driveway at any speed, didn't matter if the wheels were turned or straight. They replaced the bushings first and then ended up replacing the lower control arms and then the wishbones.

Please do send all of that information. I have an appointment on thursday. I want to bring them everything I can so they will actually take a good look at the car. This noise is insane and my warranty is close to being over with.

·
Registered
226 Posts

Please do! I'd be interested to see exactly what it was...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Same here from the beginning of my ownership (F55, Nov 2015 build). I recently handed my car in for troubleshooting and repair, and so far, they have replaced the control arm bushing but that did not cure the problem, they admitted. They ordered struts and I am waiting for them to call me for another visit. I have mentioned about the threads on the internet but they response was "yeah, everything on the internet is true..". I wish I could hand the TSB number to them.

The other day, when I was at the traffic lights, sitting still, and turned the steering wheel left and right, there was this rolling noise. It sounded like a golf ball was rolling around in the glove box. I emailed my SA about it and the response was "ok, it could be something to do with the front suspension".

My car makes a lot of noise when it is cold. Front end, Rear end, Windows, Bent on the dashboard, Seat belt housing, you name it.

I just open the flap in my JCW exhaust, switch the mode to Sports and forget all about the 'unexpected noise' :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Please do! I'd be interested to see exactly what it was...

OK, here are both pages from my service receipt with the codes. The difference is your screen shot references SI M31-01-14. Mine was fixed under SI M31-02-14 and SI M31-03-15. These are the notes from the tech, your dealer should be able to take these and get everything that they need.

Text Font

Text Font Paper

Reactions: hotrunner

·
Registered
226 Posts
OK, here are both pages from my service receipt with the codes. The difference is your screen shot references SI M31-01-14. Mine was fixed under SI M31-02-14 and SI M31-03-15. These are the notes from the tech, your dealer should be able to take these and get everything that they need.

View attachment 47289

View attachment 47297
Amazing thanks! I will let you know how it works out!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.