Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone who had SatNav in their R56 tried the SN in the F56? I'd love to know how it compares.

Thanks
SM

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've had sat nav in my previous R56 and in my current F56 MCS. The current system is far superior - the main improvement is that it will now accept a 6 digit postcode which will then allow you to select the road or street and even a specific house number. It also has lane recognition on the motorways and guides you over to the left (uk) with a mile to go to the junction. Whilst driving last week, I also got a red triangle hazard warning, alerting me to dangerous driving conditions. This was whilst traveling on the motorway. The warning wasn't too specific but did give junction numbers and count down to hazard. It appeared that the hazard was strong winds over a high level bridge - as I said not too specific but gave you a pre warning. Made even more special if used in conjunction with HUD . Still playing with it so will update after a couple of weeks of use.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I certainly like Tom Tom, primarily for its traffic live update feature which will give you alternative routes if your designated route has congestion, plus I also have the speed cameras function on mine. The down side is that with Tom Tom you have to pay an annual subscription for these features. I was lucky in that my car (x demo) came with sat nav. I think the bottom line will depend on how much you rely on sat nav on a day to day basis, if you already own a sat nav device and whether you can justify its cost. That said, it really is a nice option to have.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My partner has the full business Sat Nav in their BMW 5 series - fully up to date etc and the MINI system is based on the same thing - I find it awful - it's slow and has often taken me on the most bizarre routes - praise the lord for TomTom on my iPhone - way cheaper too lol

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
When there is traffic ahead, I use Google Maps (or Waze app) and when the road is clear, I use Mini's SatNav because of the HUD coolness factor.

·
Registered
110 Posts
When there is traffic ahead, I use Google Maps (or Waze app) and when the road is clear, I use Mini's SatNav because of the HUD coolness factor.
Me too. Plus, I hate things being stuck to the each or the windscreen. The integrated sat Nav rocks and is worth every penny. Especially if mated to the HUD.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I am quite impressed by the traffic information and re routing on the F56 nav. It certainly seems better than the nav in my 1 series.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I've read in the android manual that it can offer you alternative routes which you can select from.

Can you set waypoints to steer it a particular way?

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I don't have traffic information here in Canada. I wonder if it's possible to activate it ..

Do you know how it works? Does it use Internet (through Mini Connected?) or radio frequencies?

I am quite impressed by the traffic information and re routing on the F56 nav. It certainly seems better than the nav in my 1 series.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I don't have traffic information here in Canada. I wonder if it's possible to activate it ..

Do you know how it works? Does it use Internet (through Mini Connected?) or radio frequencies?
In the UK it is TMC which is carried on radio frequencies. I know BMW uses RTTI as well, but that needs the car to have its own mobile connection and as far as I know the MINI does not have its own sim card.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I had a loan car with media XL and HUD for 2 days recently and the system did seem very good especially with directons in the HUD in front of you but its £1175 plus £375 for the HUD.
Got back into my own car with Sat n on my phone and a brodit mount and it wasn't as good, but then it cost nothing.

Cant understand where they get some of the prices for extras from. Another example is anthracite headlining which is exactly the same material as satellite grey but £120 extra!

·
Registered
478 Posts
My F55 has media XL, and its does something I haven't seen in a Sat Nav for over 10 years. Where I live there are a lot of unmade roads, some just about passible with a off road car, most totally impassible in the 40 years I have lived in the area. The media XL package with the latest map update tried to take you down these roads. This stopped happening 10 years ago with TomTom, Garmin, VW, and Land Rovers sat navs. Thankfully I know these road, but media XL would fail to find my home address.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do You know how to make a space on the touch pad? is it possible?
Thanks!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Do You know how to make a space on the touch pad? is it possible?
From the manual:
▷ To enter a blank space, slide to the right in the center of the touchpad.
▷ To enter a hyphen, slide to the right in the upper area of the touchpad.
▷ To enter an underscore, slide to the right in the lower area of the touchpad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts