Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have recently purchased a F56 Cooper, it has spot lamps (halogen), I'd like to change the bulbs to something brighter when I collect on Wednesday.

Does anyone have any idea what bulb type these lamps use?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
They also do LED spotlamps, not sure if wiring is compatible with yours, worth a ask but they are expensive, haggle with the dealer as big profits on their side.

If you only want to change the bulbs I can't help sorry :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They also do LED spotlamps, not sure if wiring is compatible with yours, worth a ask but they are expensive, haggle with the dealer as big profits on their side.

If you only want to change the bulbs I can't help sorry :)

Yeah I've heard they do them too from the 7 dealers I've called to try and find out the bulbs :-(

Literally no one can tell me what bulbs the spot lamps take or even whether they can be changed. The system only shows that LED lights are available but these are clearly just regular spots fitted. It's all very frustrating lol, it seems to be the case of 'computer says no'

I may have to wait till I collect the car, but I wanted to have something ordered for replacement ahead of picking up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Not sure about the 3rd Gen cars, but I believe the halogen driving lights on the 2nd Gen were sealed beam units.
I read this on another forum, it was a Gen2 They were talking about but no idea if it works etc..

On the current-gen OEM Mini Driving Lights (63120417885) for the R60, the bulb is: 12V 55W H3

These are not monitored, so you will be able to run an LED without resistors. Currently, the highest-powered LED H3 is a 7w CREE. I run them in various applications - they look good, but aren't very bright compared to 85w H1/H3s.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are sealed from a video I found on you tube but can be opened with a special key... no idea whether a dealer would be willing to change the bulb for me, but one seems keen lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you can figure out how to replace the H3 bulb, be aware that a bulb higher wattage than the OEM 55 watt bulb will generate more heat. It can also fry your wiring. I did a 100 watt for 55 watt swap a number of years ago with my Passat that burned up wires!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.