Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

Looking for opinions on anyone who has changed their wheels to 18"s from 17" regarding how the car rides and handles.
I tempted to change my 17"s on my cooper s with standard suspension but don't want the ride to be too hard & crashy.

Look forward to what you think

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I'll venture a guess here that 18" wheels with non runflats will ride as smooth or smoother than 17" wheels with runflats. Of course your type of suspension will also matter.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Our MCSD has 17's on standard tyres/suspension so not run flats, and it rides much smoother than the loan JCW I have which has the 18" cup spoke alloys with run flats (Dunlop sport maxx) and standard JCW suspension. I would consider changing the run flats for standard tyres to improve the ride if it were mine, but the other thing you should consider is that run flats also numb the steering feel so don't get them if you have a choice.
Other threads have discussed changing the 18" run flats for standard tyres (Michelin pilot super sports) and this gives some feel back but they will not be as comfortable as 17's and there is a risk that standard 18" tyres might also numb the steering, being that bit firmer than 17's.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I've never had runflats before my Pirelli P7's on my JCW. But, I've had & been in cars with much stiffer riding setups than my stock JCW...and it is far from a stiff uncomfortable ride quality. Honestly, I think it's perfect for me & I'm no spring chicken! LOL! I may even not like a softer ride if I eventually get non runflats. The only thing negative I've noticed about the summer P7's is they tend to lack grip under throttle at times. The stock F56 JCW is an awesome car imo! So, if it can get even better with coilover suspension & non runflats I have that to look forward to! ;-)

Reactions: KYDan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll venture a guess here that 18" wheels with non runflats will ride as smooth or smoother than 17" wheels with runflats. Of course your type of suspension will also matter.
Sorry forgot to mention my current setup is on 17s on standard non run flat tyres (Michelins I believe).
I'm probably leaning to going 17s again on Michelins (non runflat) as I don't have the adaptive suspension and ride is very good at the moment for a mini.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Sorry forgot to mention my current setup is on 17s on standard non run flat tyres (Michelins I believe).
I'm probably leaning to going 17s again on Michelins (non runflat) as I don't have the adaptive suspension and ride is very good at the moment for a mini.
Much wider selection of tires for the 17" wheel.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s on my 2012 R56 JCW and it made the ride immensely better than the run flats and the handling also improved, particularly on rough roads. The ride in the F56 JCW with the 18" wheels with run flats is only slightly rougher than the R with the Michelins. This may simply be my perception, but my copilot thinks the same thing and her butt sensometer is better than mine! I was going to put the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on this mini, but as time goes by I am thinking the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ may suit my driving style better and they are an all season tire. In the interim I am sticking with the run flats until they are toast, which won't be that long with my driving style. MOTD is time is almost here, bring on the twisties!

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Our MCSD has 17's on standard tyres/suspension so not run flats, and it rides much smoother than the loan JCW I have which has the 18" cup spoke alloys with run flats (Dunlop sport maxx) and standard JCW suspension. I would consider changing the run flats for standard tyres to improve the ride if it were mine, but the other thing you should consider is that run flats also numb the steering feel so don't get them if you have a choice.
Other threads have discussed changing the 18" run flats for standard tyres (Michelin pilot super sports) and this gives some feel back but they will not be as comfortable as 17's and there is a risk that standard 18" tyres might also numb the steering, being that bit firmer than 17's.
If my steering is numb and the feedback poor with my 18's and runflats, God knows what a JCW on 17's and supersports must be like !!!

I have driven both, neither are crashy. My wife's R56 One is no softer either. All 3 door Mini's have a fairly stiff ride and the runflats make it a bit harder, but I driven a lot worse.

To the OP, just get a test drive and find out for yourself, its the only way. What's fine for me may be to harsh for somebody else.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just had a loan Cooper with 18" wheels and adaptive suspension for a couple of days and the ride was choppy even on A roads when in sport mode so much so I only used mid mode (not sure if the tyres were run flats). I'm not sure if you could configure the adaptive suspension so that it was softer in sport mode but I would definitely do that if possible.

I have black Victory spokes on my Cooper D with Michelin Green X non runflats and the ride and handling is superb. Personally I wouldn't go bigger than 17". In my opinion 18" wheels don't look any better and the bigger you go, the more susceptible the rims are to damage which is even harder to repair on the diamond cut 18" rims of which two were already damaged on the 2000 mile loan car I had.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If my steering is numb and the feedback poor with my 18's and runflats, God knows what a JCW on 17's and supersports must be like !!!

I have driven both, neither are crashy. My wife's R56 One is no softer either. All 3 door Mini's have a fairly stiff ride and the runflats make it a bit harder, but I driven a lot worse.
I guess this is all subjective but I have driven 17" non-RF and compared them directly with 18" RF, albeit with firmer suspension too and my feel of what the tyres are doing agrees with other threads on this subject. So changing 18" RF's to non-RF is a step towards a softer setup and according to others, not me, makes the car handle how it should have.
Whatever the OP decides I'm not hearing many in favor of keeping the RF if they had a choice.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yes, runcraps are just that. I have replaced them with some sort of performance tire on all of my sports cars over the years.
In my experience having to replace runflats with normal tyres is more down to poor suspension design than the shortcomings of the runflats.

I replaced the runflats on my previous R56 with 17" wheels and even then the ride was terrible with the suspension bottoming out.

My wife however has a new BMW 2 series with 18" wheels and runflats and the ride is excellent (though Im not convinced they are the quietest tyre).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I run 18" with run flats and would love to change to standard tyres as I find the ride rough at best, but I won't for the additional road noise. I would ideally like to continue with the 18" with standard tyres and see how I get on, but I couldn't do another 10,000 miles with the cabin noise being so unbearable. When the time comes I'll change to 17" with run flats so I can actually hear the stero.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.