Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi has anyone done this. My wife paid for an exec tour for my 50 th while I await my vo cooper. Wow. Money well spent.the factory is a revelation. And the guides are delightful plus theres a small exhibition and a very well stocked shop. I'd advise ANY car fan to see it .then you'll buy a mini!
Quality control its amazing and the assembly just superb. The door adjustment guys are wizards!
As you can tell I loved it and would go again tomorrow. If you can, do go.

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
340 Posts
I did it a couple of weeks ago for the 2nd time.

We did the 6pm tour and the robots weren't working due to a burst water main, so we got to spend more time on the factory floor.

Then they closed the main entrance doors, so we got to go out via upstairs where the car bodies go up on the hoist.

On the way out we got to see other areas too, like where they assemble the dash boards!

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow that sounds a good one. I will definitely go again!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had my visit yesterday

Booked a solo visit which i think was worth it as we spent over three hours in the factory and went "off piste" a number of times - apparently this cannot be done with a large group.

I had John as a host, the guy used to work in the factory; is now retired and does this twice a week for fun. He was very knowledgable and entertaining - an asset to the process without a doubt.

Hoped to see my car at some point as it was scheduled for build this week. They took the details and established that my car was actually built last Friday and is now on its way to the dealer.

The tour was very interesting, we managed to visit every area except the paint shop which is off limits for visitors (hermetically sealed apparently!). interesting fact, from start to finish of production, all cars take 22 hours which includes around 10.5 hours in the paint shop.

I would recommend it to all - my dealer is now arranging to take his staff on the tour.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
So, I'm guessing both solo visits and exec tours are more than the regular £15 for a group tour. How much?

Oli

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would have loved to be in your shoes, Jeremy as my MINI is a week 35 build and currently in production. Albeit a long shot, it would be amazing to do the tour and see your own car being built!

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes , just missed it; mind you it is a bit of a needle in a haystack; with 900 cars a day being churned out our guide Tony told us in 6 years of guiding only one future owner had seen hers being made-even better was that she had come all the way from Australia to see the factory! Amazing visit nevertheless-and I just pretended mine was one of the literally hundreds of body panels
I saw waiting to be welded up!
Please everyone, if you are a mini fan, go! I shall be recommending my dealer do the same jiffer; in fact I think BMW should make it the law-if you work for mini in any way you should do the factory tour-just fills you with pride for the quality product you are driving/about to drive!
JUST CANT WAIT, insurance arranged number plate chosen, 6 MORE SLEEPS-mind you I am not sleeping now!

Reactions: bjblyth

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes , just missed it; mind you it is a bit of a needle in a haystack; with 900 cars a day being churned out our guide Tony told us in 6 years of guiding only one future owner had seen hers being made-even better was that she had come all the way from Australia to see the factory!
On our visit someone did indeed see their car on the production line!
They went racing around with the tour guide and they found it! It was just at the stage when the wheels were about to be fitted and the car touched ground for the first time. Needless to say they were over the moon!
It made us all smile, we were all pleased for them.

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow how amazing. That would be something very special!

·
Registered
99 Posts
The tour was epic! Me and the missus went sadly a week after our was made but absolutely loved the tour!

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you love Mini I think you've got to see them being made! There is loads of information that you can glean about the car just by watching them make it. The cars are made in the order that they are ordered, which means that in December (where others have on the site suggested that cars are arriving 3-4 weeks after ordering) they have been running with a low order book. Expect a few deals appearing in 2016 me thinks.

I was there on the day that a Clubman 4 wheel drive went through for a test assembly. I'd say that model is no more than weeks away now and, since it shares platform with the F56, that could be four wheel drive for performance versions?

Many of the costly options are virtually free to Mini. Every car takes the same time to assemble (apart from painted roofs and stripes which do take longer), so when you pay for extras (and we all do, an average £3000ish apparently), the only costs to Mini are the bills from the supplier for the parts.

As a result Cowley is conspicuously profitable for a high volume small car plant. I suspect that Seat accountants would cut limbs off to earn four figure profits on Ibizas for example.

That is in the end part of the genius of the Mini brand. Go see it, its a wonderful experience...

In fact that's the business model

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Did the tour just before we got our new R56 S had booked tour for wife as her car was due to be built about the time of visit, all travel plans made and was lucky I checked my emails before drove to plant was cancelled within 8 hours of visit no apology at all.
When I put a strong email to say how disappointed we was as sons birthday trip as well they could not even reply to me so escalated it 3 emails later not one response very disappointed with the booking team was furious with lack of interest in my concerns .
Be warned it seems they often cancel last minute

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's a real shame Derek.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I went with a group tour last year, as said, amazing and deffo go if you get chance.

Sorry you had a poor experience Derek. That lack of care and communication seems to be at odds to the whole ethos of Mini. Hope they don't make a habit of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts