Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have a 20 month old F55 MCS and I have noticed that the black panel that sits below the chrome front grill has stated to go faded and milky. All the other similar black panels and item are fine. It looks like the sun has affected it.

I am in the U.K. So the sun is never that strong and the car has only done 8k miles . Car is kept very clean and very regularly washed.

Anybody else had a similar problem

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have never heard of similar problems.
Before the expiration of the 24-month warranty, you assess the problem by MINI dealer and replace foul.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
768 Posts
The same thing happened to mine. The dealer replaced in under warranty.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mine too has faded and I have spoken to the dealer about it. They have already done about 4 so far and this is in Northern Ireland where good sunny days are normally counted on one hand during the year. I am going to getinen done when it goes in for its next service.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Sorry, but you you can put one photo to better understand your situation ? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Sorry, but you you can put one photo to better understand your situation ? Thanks a lot.
This is what mine looked like. It started fading right under the S, and then in a couple of there places but under the S was the worst and easiest to see.

Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
136 Posts
This is what mine looked like. It started fading right under the S, and then in a couple of there places but under the S was the worst and easiest to see.

View attachment 47578
Thanks for the photo. Mine looks pretty much the same because of dirt on it. I think. Maybe not, I should wash and see it. (wait, its in 30's here...).

·
Registered
586 Posts

View attachment 47578
Thanks very much for the photographic evidence.;)

I hope that in my JCW is to come (in production at Oxford today 14/12/2016) does not happen, but I will be vigilant. :eek:

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
DR that is how my whole wheel arches and the rest of the plastic pieces start to look including the molding on the top of the roof. I guess them recycled BMW plastic parts do not hold up well.:D:D

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Have you used any tar remover/iron products etc on it recently? These make the plastics particulary milky (as Evlkarl mentioned). Get some trim rejuvenator on it and see how it comes out. Be prepared for sore fingers after coating the grill :)
If you have no joy with that, consider asking the dealers opinion......

·
Registered
768 Posts
Have you used any tar remover/iron products etc on it recently? These make the plastics particulary milky (as Evlkarl mentioned). Get some trim rejuvenator on it and see how it comes out. Be prepared for sore fingers after coating the grill :)
If you have no joy with that, consider asking the dealers opinion......
In my case I had not used any tar removers or iron products. I've only seen a couple of cars have this and my service advisor said that some have it and some don't and there didn't seem to be any contributing factors.

DR that is how my whole wheel arches and the rest of the plastic pieces start to look including the molding on the top of the roof. I guess them recycled BMW plastic parts do not hold up well.:D:D
Yeah, it is weird. The front pedestrian bumper almost looks like a manufacturing defect. My arches and trim still look new and I use UV protectant on those. Seems like it just luck of the draw what will fade. I can say that in our climate the BMW/MINI rubber and trim tends to crack and age quicker from sun damage. Walk past any in a car park and the rubber bits and trim all seem to crack in about the same spots.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My Mini has not had any products applied to it except Autoglym Resin polish. It looks definitely like it's sun affected . This lower panel on the grill is the only affected panel.

I will contact my local dealership . It's due it's two year service in March anyway . Just wanted to get a feeling if it's a general problem. The affected area on the panel is most of the surface and I think it's getting worse.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.