Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've had my Mini One for a year and a half now, it's a 64 plate. It has been in the garage twice now. The first time was because it needed an engine reset (or something). To start off with, the car reported a fault with the battery twice and then once when I turned it on, it was really sluggish and not right. That resolved after turning it off and on again. So they reset the engine computer (or something).
Then, about 2 months ago, I noticed that the car creaked when it went over speed-bumps when the car was angled to the left. It also does it when I'm going round a sharp left hand bend.
The guys at the MINI garage couldn't find anything wrong initially so I went out on a test drive with one of them and managed to re-create the noise. They then replaced the rear shock absorbers. I finally picked my car up on Tuesday after nearly a week. It still creaks. And then today, it came up with a fault about the headlights (headlight aim failure). I left it for a few hours, turned it on again and the fault has gone.
Has anyone else had similar issues with their car or any creaking they've noticed? I feel like I'm going mad but I'm also really disappointed with Mini. I didn't buy a new car to have all of these issues.

Thanks
Clare

·
Super Moderator
8,744 Posts
You've not had too many if you read Donna's woes, but rear shocks are a known issue! Not sure why a simple 2 hour replacement job would take so long but ........
Many of us have had other cars with lots of faults from brand new! i've been lucky so far ( 2 years old in Sept) but i would assume really that from the small number of niggles here the car is pretty reliable.

What sort of a creak is it; the frameless windows can creak-a bit of silicon lube sorts that apparently though it is weather dependent! Good luck!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Never use silicone on your mini seals. This is the cause for a lot of creaks. Just clean your rubbers and check again. Bmw uses a silicone remover to disable creaks and also gummi pflege helps a lot.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Actually window creak is not due to the rubber. It's because the glass moves out of its specified setting. As soon as the glass position is reset it's silent. This doesn't last long, however, because mini managed design a system that lets the glass shift.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not the windows creaking. It reminds me of my old KA when the bushes had gone. It's back in the garage now so they can investigate the creaking and the new fault that happened over the weekend. I turned it on and it sounded like it wasn't firing on all cylinders. I turned it off and turned it on again and it was fine. I really want to love my car but I don't trust it :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
I put my mini in on Monday as was told it was a copper ring under steering wheel needing greased ( service department guy ) . Got my car delivered back to my work and was told car needs to go back in as parts on order .
I'm glad I read the posts and expected replacement parts and not grease.
Don't care so much it's just inconvenient going and picking up the service loan car which is a cool paceman but not as nippy as my mini one.
Will post on how I get on and timescale

·
Super Moderator
8,744 Posts
Actually window creak is not due to the rubber. It's because the glass moves out of its specified setting. As soon as the glass position is reset it's silent. This doesn't last long, however, because mini managed design a system that lets the glass shift.
I can't see how this comment can be accurate. My windows drop to open and pop up snug to the rubber frame. An accidental wipe with poor boys trim restorer has got rid of the creak!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.