Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So it's a week today I've had the car and I've got a few rattles, I know Mini's are known for them but should I be expecting them this early? I know I have the sports suspension and the roads aren't the best in the UK so should I take it in or is there no point as I'm delaying the inevitable?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Where in the cabin are they coming from? I've done just over 1,000 miles in my Cooper without a single rattle appearing.

·
Registered
198 Posts
There was a rattle in my F55 when I drove home from picking it up.

It's a stupid little thing that happens on the 5 door but not on the 3 door. When the front seat passenger takes their seat belt off it retracts ok but the buckle does not go flat against the B pillar so rattles when you drive, especially on the back lanes around here.

It's a simple fix, just run your fingers down the belt and it flips back into place. Passenger education might be a better fix but I know the response I'd get from 'er indoors!!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I found mine was noisy the other day, it was sub zero and after half an hour or so they had all gone, I put it down to different materials reacting different to the freezing temperature and when the car was nice and warm they all went!

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
My windows used to rustle in the f56; we have frames now of course, till i accidentally got poorboys vinyl and trim cleaner on them-worked a treat! i know you're supposed to use that gummipledge stuff but hey ho! Occasional rattle from door speaker pod too-so far the f54 is rattle free!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There was a rattle in my F55 when I drove home from picking it up.

It's a stupid little thing that happens on the 5 door but not on the 3 door. When the front seat passenger takes their seat belt off it retracts ok but the buckle does not go flat against the B pillar so rattles when you drive, especially on the back lanes around here.

It's a simple fix, just run your fingers down the belt and it flips back into place. Passenger education might be a better fix but I know the response I'd get from 'er indoors!!
Plugged the seat belt in this morning to see if that fixed it to no avail, i did get rid of one being the rear sea belt but the most annoying one sounds like the last tic tac in a empty bottle, it comes and goes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My windows used to rustle in the f56; we have frames now of course, till i accidentally got poorboys vinyl and trim cleaner on them-worked a treat! i know you're supposed to use that gummipledge stuff but hey ho! Occasional rattle from door speaker pod too-so far the f54 is rattle free!
Thats what the one by me sounds like, it sounds like the window is moving but even if I press it as hard as I can it still remains.

Ive given my pal a call and we are on a rattle hunt tonight. Especially for the tic tac one.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My JCW went in last week for various minor niggles including an annoying buzzing rattle from the front passenger dash area. The service guy was quite chuffed to say they'd found it and sorted it, apparently the cable from the window regulator in the door was insecure so they felt taped it and reclipped it in place. They also replaced the front scuttle at the bottom of the screen as it supposedly squeaked when wipers were in operation. Thanks very much guys................but the original buzzing is still there :))

Rather than take it in again I went on a mission and after various prodding and moving I found the fuse box cover in the glove box to be slightly bend in the top corner so it wasn't seating properly. A quick bend and push firmly in place it seems to of cured it.

Davy has a point about the temp, differing materials will act differently in these cold conditions so let it warm up properly and then go on the hunt.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
And remember sounds travel in cars. Our dacia duster developed a terrible rattle,sounded like a nut in a can(metal not snack or human variety),and sounded as if it were in the passenger side glove box. Turned out the sunvisor on the driver's side was out of its clip but touching! Sorted in seconds but i was not looking in the right place at all!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just popped out in my lunch and put a load of micro-filter clothes wedged in the parcel shelf and the under boot compartment cover to try and eliminate certain culprits, will report back later.

The rattles up front aren't bad it's just because it was as quiet as a mouse up till yesterday then 1 appeared then two more over the day. I'll find them, if not the car is booked in on the 17th.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
My 56 is going in now for the 5th time to fix the rattle from the hatch. The Dealer adjusts the hatch it works for 4 to 6 weeks and than we are back to square 1. Hey at least they got my favorite snacks now....:):)

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
They treat you lot too well over there; nice coffee in our mini dealership (and a teeny posey biccie ) but that is as far as it goes!

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Note that in cold weather too, especially if it freezes.. The rubber around the doors and window go a little brittle and will squeak and/or rattle as the window and door move when going over bumps, etc.

My car will be 1 year old on 10th December and it doesn't rattle or squeak, unless mentioned above. Also I have the seatbelt issue with my F56, when someones been in the passenger seat... Due to the seat being far back, it rattles against the B-pillar. My rear seat belts are fastened to eliminate those.

I used to think it rattled, but I have a garage opener on my visor and the circuit board rattles in that so I found my culprit!

If you empty your car of all belongings and drive with your keys in your pocket and it still rattles, take it back to MINI and ask a technician to come out with you and they'll sort it.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Small hold back type clips if i remember rightly the the belt slots in to but they can still touch the plastic trim;Brandon's solution is the most effective and best for the imo.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Wow Dave, they must be stingy round us; both soper mini, lincoln and sytner nottingham-nice coffee but that's it! Last visit i even noticed Soper Lincoln have stopped providing newspapers. Had to take my own reading material!

Reactions: Davyboy
1 - 20 of 32 Posts