Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a nightmare... in a week my car will be 3 months old and has 2,000 miles on her, mostly from commuting to dealers to repair damages at the hands of the selling dealership.

We are getting close to home now (cut window moldings and scratched pillars replaced, a torn door seal replaced, and denting in both quarter panels and the bonnet have been finally successfully addressed).

BUT...

When I picked up my car yesterday I was told "No washing with soap for 30 days, rinsing is okay but only air drying (a problem in a hard water community not to forget bug splatter on a 250 mile return commute), and dusting is okay but no rubbing (the car was already loaded with "lot dust"). I was also advised "only the specific dent areas were painted and feathered into the existing finish."

Hence, I didn't notice the multiple bonnet swirls until I was cleaning the windows under fluorescent light in my garage last night. GASP! Obviously, I'm not dusting or rinsing anything until I hear back from my new service manager to whom I've already sent the attached photos.

If anyone has any input on what the next step might be or what realistic expectations I should have, please let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
They look like polish marks, are they on the same spots as the dents were? If yes, it's just crappy work by the repair men. I would never accept this "repair".

·
Registered
998 Posts
i would tell them that they have had their chance, and you will be taking it to an independent bodyshop and presenting them with the bill. do this in writing

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I also had Buffer Burns/ Circles when I picked up my Mini with 6 Miles on the Clock. Refused delivery told the Manager they need to send the Detailer back to Buffer School and fix it. The had a Professional redoing the Car and it turned out mint. Sad Part there was another Mini next to mine for Delivery and the Detailer screwed up that Car too. By the Life of me I can not understand why Dealers think they must buff they heck out of a Car with a brand new Paint Job.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update...

Thanks for the feedback, everybody.

I just spoke with my new service manager (who was not present when I picked up my car on a Saturday). He assures me those unsightly swirls on the bonnet are an example of poor buffing before waxing and can be removed in about four hours without the need for any repainting. Whew!

The bad news is I have to make another 500 mile round trip and wait for it. After that (and installation of a back ordered rear headrest replacement a few months down the road), I should be good to roll in my well sealed and dent free shiny new car.

The truth is I should never have accepted the car from the abusive selling dealer in the first place but, as we all know, once we fall in love... another car just never feels the same.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They look like polish marks, are they on the same spots as the dents were? If yes, it's just crappy work by the repair men. I would never accept this "repair".

Actually, they weren't. The dent on the bonnet was next to the MINI badge, apparently caused by the selling dealer's inappropriate closing the day I refused their first repair (after they replaced cut window moldings and damaged both quarter panels in the process). Why they ever even opened the bonnet is still beyond me.

Trust I am doing everything possible to avoid that selling dealership which includes cancelling and replacing their extended MINI tire warranty contract and asking MINI corporate to underwrite long distance road service in case a mechanical emergency arises.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i would tell them that they have had their chance, and you will be taking it to an independent bodyshop and presenting them with the bill. do this in writing

I considered that option but MINI corporate is underwriting ALL of these repairs caused by the selling dealer and I don't want to burn a bridge with a dealer who has been most helpful to date. If you had seen what they started with, you would be amazed at the body work despite the "lackluster" buffing job hidden under Saturday's wind driven dust.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
... Sad Part there was another Mini next to mine for Delivery and the Detailer screwed up that Car too. ...

After more trips to dealers than I ever thought possible with a brand new car, I completely agree with you. Maybe it's my age or work ethic but I expect premium service and results, especially through BMW/MINI. Alas, it's become a "buyer beware" world no matter where we go. Thank the goddesses above, MINI corporate came to my rescue.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Glad things worked out for you. This thread makes me worry though as I wait for my Midnight Black Metallic JCW....as you know black "shows everything"! I'd better alert my MA that I don't want some bonehead detailing the car, because I WILL be inspecting it thoroughly upon the initial pick-up!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Glad things worked out for you. This thread makes me worry though as I wait for my Midnight Black Metallic JCW....as you know black "shows everything"! I'd better alert my MA that I don't want some bonehead detailing the car, because I WILL be inspecting it thoroughly upon the initial pick-up!

Sending the good juju to you, 02fanatic! Just be on the alert to check things normally taken for granted... like all of the upholstery, face gauges, exterior trim and seals. And then, take some time to break in that new black beauty. May she reward you with years of trouble free performance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update...

On her 3rd month birthday, Cruella DeGrille is finally ready to show her face without shame. (All cut window moldings, torn seals, scratched pillars, and denting caused by a careless selling dealer are now history thanks to MINI corporate and the skillful Sandia MINI team.)

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Beautiful .shame on that dealer.
Thank you, Jeremy!

The dealer in question has no respect... for their consumers nor their cars. But through the graces of MINI corporate, I found a terrific care resource albeit a distance from me. It's worth the drive, especially since they were able to work miracles.

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
They might find they get your loyalty next service or car.!!! We told our local dealer why we'd bought a car elsewhere in a nice way! It was a minor thing . They messed up on some stripes for wife's roads ter but meant I just popped in to a dealer further away. Once in the deal offered was so Good I couldn't resist it. She even gave me a test drive to do some shopping I said I had to do as an excuse to defer my decision!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They might find they get your loyalty next service or car.!!!

Not a chance. It took six weeks for the selling dealer to even attempt to make things right and when they did, they managed to devalue my brand new car by $8,350. Heaven knows what their mechanical services would create but they'll never get the opportunity.

I also sustained berating from their general manager for "being so picky and buying a black car" and, worst of the worst, was his threatening statement "If you don't like what we've repaired already, you'll like any future repairs even less."

That series of events did it for me and almost killed my love for Cruella in the process. BUT... MINI corporate came to the rescue and turned our lives around by underwriting all repairs as a "goodwill" effort at a quality dealership.

Trust me, not all BMW/MINI dealerships are created equal. And not all of them deserve a second chance, especially when run by a rogue general manager hiding behind the "independently owned and operated" curtain.

At last, Cruella and I are rolling on... with grace and dignity intact.:D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Trust me, not all BMW/MINI dealerships are created equal. And not all of them deserve a second chance, especially when run by a rogue general manager hiding behind the "independently owned and operated" curtain.
Very true. I'm glad that mine is owned by and adjacent to BMW, Jaguar, and Land Rover brands. All the managers are accustomed to pleasing people with much more expensive cars and high expectations of being treated right.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very true. I'm glad that mine is owned by and adjacent to BMW, Jaguar, and Land Rover brands. All the managers are accustomed to pleasing people with much more expensive cars and high expectations of being treated right.

Let me just say it was an interesting lesson in management dynamics opened by a wily (the kindest word I can apply) general manager, continued through the helpful hands of MINI corporate, and closed by a general manager who offers respect and ethical practices (what anyone deserves, no matter the brand).

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Glad to hear it all worked out for you and Kudos to the Dealer that stepped up to make it right. I think the Dealer deserves to be named here on this Forum so other Members can give him some Business in the Future.:)

The Car looks fantastic IMHO.:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Glad to hear it all worked out for you and Kudos to the Dealer that stepped up to make it right. I think the Dealer deserves to be named here on this Forum so other Members can give him some Business in the Future.:) The Car looks fantastic IMHO.:)

Thanks, Evlkarl...

You must have been distracted by Cruella's pristine beauty since I did mention the skillful folks at Sandia MINI in my "update.":laugh:

In any case, good news is always worth repeating and if you're ever in Albuquerque, New Mexico you would be most welcome there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.