Mini Cooper Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is a nightmare... in a week my car will be 3 months old and has 2,000 miles on her, mostly from commuting to dealers to repair damages at the hands of the selling dealership.

We are getting close to home now (cut window moldings and scratched pillars replaced, a torn door seal replaced, and denting in both quarter panels and the bonnet have been finally successfully addressed).

BUT...

When I picked up my car yesterday I was told "No washing with soap for 30 days, rinsing is okay but only air drying (a problem in a hard water community not to forget bug splatter on a 250 mile return commute), and dusting is okay but no rubbing (the car was already loaded with "lot dust"). I was also advised "only the specific dent areas were painted and feathered into the existing finish."

Hence, I didn't notice the multiple bonnet swirls until I was cleaning the windows under fluorescent light in my garage last night. GASP! Obviously, I'm not dusting or rinsing anything until I hear back from my new service manager to whom I've already sent the attached photos.

If anyone has any input on what the next step might be or what realistic expectations I should have, please let me know.
I would take it back to the dealer and speak to the owner or general Manager. From your photo the paint does not have the gloss finish it should and you should not see swirl marks. Years ago I had a new Corvette that came from the factory with a crappy paint job and I went all the way up the ladder to a Sr. VP at GM. They re-painted the entire car and added to several layers of clear at no charge which made it glow. Good Luck !!

·
Registered
117 Posts
those are definitely bad swirl marks from the buffing machine. any good auto detailer would cringe if they saw that. you have every right to take something like that back to get it corrected, or if you just don't trust them, you can just bite the bullet and pay to get it fixed by any good detailer. i'm currently waiting on getting my recently purchased 2017 mini back (a second time) from getting the hood and doors repainted due to some bad chip marks that the previous owner tried to touch up. i have the midnight black so the first time, i picked it up, it looked great, but the metallic flakes they used in the formula were too coarse so it looked too "glittery" in the sunlight. i also noticed some bad swirl buffer marks everywhere (see photo of the door). i brought it back and they are currently re-painting and hopefully do a better job polishing. as for matching the metallic paint, they did some research and finally assured me that they have corrected the formula so that the metallic flakes will match the factory "finer" flakes. hopefully will be able to pick it up today.

Attachments

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.