Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just picked up my JCW love it love it love it, had a look under the car and noticed a little rubber tube sticking out, anyone know what this is/does?

Hadn't seen this in any pics before, does it look ok?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Ok, now you made me crawl under my '15 JCW! I'll let you know when I change my oil & it's up on the lift, but from where it's located I'd guess it's a drain for water that gets trapped in the cowling at the base of the windshield. It's the only thing that protrudes below the covers under the car, so it must slow down the car! lol!

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Not seen this before, but could be the screen drain pipe as said, but on the R series it exited underneath but a lot smaller and they had a habit of blocking so maybe they are fitting a bigger pipe?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
This JCW is a September build so I assume MY17? maybe it's one of the changes...
No, it's on my 2015 June build JCW also. I just hadn't noticed it before now.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Cowling drains are usually rubber & drain into the front wheel wells, & you can see a metal pipe inside the rubber surround in this photo so it is more likely an engine vent of some kind.

Reactions: AlexF56JCW

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Showing the photos to a independent friend he thinks it is more likely the air con. He said run the car for awhile with the air con on then switch of and you should see a drip or so of water..

Can't be an engine breather as by law they have to vent back to the intake side..

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Showing the photos to a independent friend he thinks it is more likely the air con. He said run the car for awhile with the air con on then switch of and you should see a drip or so of water..

Can't be an engine breather as by law they have to vent back to the intake side..

You might be right Dave! I also thought of that, but I've hardly even used my a/c yet so I haven't noticed. I will certainly take a good "look-see" when I change the oil soon.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sent pics to my local dealer service centre, and the correct answer is ....

AC condensation drain pipe!

I'd say it's sticking out a few inches so it doesn't drain water on top of the bottom engine cover panel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.