Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's happened - i have my 1st rattle :(

It seems to be coming from the dash but i can't pinpoint it. I removed the central display and put some felt strips where i though it might be but it didn't make any difference.
All screws i could see have been tightened, pressing on trims makes no difference (rattles only on bumpy, poor roads) so other than sticking a few cans of expanding foam behind the dash (only kidding) i'm out of ideas where to look

Has anyone else had a similar rattle and found the cause?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Why are all mini owners (including me) so ocd i hate it so bad when i get rattles. On my f54 it comes from the roof / panoramic roof i wanna cry didnt find it yet...

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why are all mini owners (including me) so ocd i hate it so bad when i get rattles. On my f54 it comes from the roof / panoramic roof i wanna cry didnt find it yet...
Glad it's not just me being picky :)

I've traded in a few cars in the past with rattles and creaks i couldn't cure - hope the Mini isn't going to join them ...................

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mini.... it rattles. Sorry dude my F55 had some bad rattles, one behind the back small window, i couldnt fix.... this F54 also somewhere i cannot reach. My bloody 2010 polo didnt rattle in the 8 years i had the car.. hopefully i can fix the rattle in my f54 tho

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well it's happened - i have my 1st rattle :(

It seems to be coming from the dash but i can't pinpoint it. I removed the central display and put some felt strips where i though it might be but it didn't make any difference.
All screws i could see have been tightened, pressing on trims makes no difference (rattles only on bumpy, poor roads) so other than sticking a few cans of expanding foam behind the dash (only kidding) i'm out of ideas where to look

Has anyone else had a similar rattle and found the cause?
Hey Robby,
Check your sunroof shield in the back, maybe the roll came loose.
I hat the same, getting nuts from the sound.
I ordered a repair kit at the dealer and till today no sound

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
My Mini has two rattles that come and go from time to time.

The one I get the most comes from the right door's side-panel (probably the speaker). But I refuse to fix it because I don't want to disassemble the panel (not even under warranty did I let the dealer do it). Different OCD :ROFLMAO:

The other one comes from where the "secret compartment" used to be (this one comes only on very few occasions).

Rattles are annoying indeed!! I know it's not very helpful, but in my experience, all cars have some sort of rattle, even M-B whose quality and attention to detail is supposed to be high :p

Hope you can find it. But don't give up on your Mini!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
My last JCW was terrible, fixed a few along the way like from drivers side air vent, round the central display etc.

I had one coming from where the seat belt attached and despite trying all sorts never got the the bottom of it, was particularly annoying too being right next to your ear. Always had a creaking coming from the boot area as well, tried all sorts, some fixed it for a while but it always returned.

New Cooper is better, I put a lot that down to the softer springs and non run flats but i do get the occasional one from the glass roof and the odd creak from the dash although that seems to be happening less. The windows on the cooper don't seem to squeak as much on the rubber seals as much as the JCW ones did either. I used to carry a bottle of gummi pflege around with me it used to squeak that much.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The handle on my central armrest rattles often. Pushing on it fixes it temporarily. I do have a slight rattle from behind the dash that comes and goes which seems to be around the area of the USB socket. Can’t seem to find out what that one is. Also have one that comes from the glovebox sometimes but it’s definitely not the contents.

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Robby,
Check your sunroof shield in the back, maybe the roll came loose.
I hat the same, getting nuts from the sound.
I ordered a repair kit at the dealer and till today no sound

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
No sunroof so roof is rattle free :)

The annoying rattle is from the central display area, i know when i removed the display to check behind there is a metal module - might have to recheck that's fully secure at the weekend.

I do get a slight noise (creak/buzz) from the drivers door/ pillar area every now and then but learnt to ignore that - can't keep ignoring if they keep multiplying though :)

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The handle on my central armrest rattles often. Pushing on it fixes it temporarily. I do have a slight rattle from behind the dash that comes and goes which seems to be around the area of the USB socket. Can’t seem to find out what that one is. Also have one that comes from the glovebox sometimes but it’s definitely not the contents.
Hmm - i thought my rattle was from the glovebox, tried with no contents and still the same, tried with lid down still the same?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hmm - i thought my rattle was from the glovebox, tried with no contents and still the same, tried with lid down still the same?
Had my 2019 F54 since March and on the test drive I picked up a rattle from the dash, seemed to be behind the speedo and as your first post, it rattles only on bumpy, poor roads. I noted this with the dealer to resolve, and they have now tried 2 times and can't find the reason. It's now booked in on Monday to have the dash replaced under warranty. If I can find out any further details after they've replaced it, I'll let you know(y)

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had my 2019 F54 since March and on the test drive I picked up a rattle from the dash, seemed to be behind the speedo and as your first post, it rattles only on bumpy, poor roads. I noted this with the dealer to resolve, and they have now tried 2 times and can't find the reason. It's now booked in on Monday to have the dash replaced under warranty. If I can find out any further details after they've replaced it, I'll let you know(y)
wow they're replacing the dash? or removing it to find the rattle?
It would be great if you could let us know if they find the cause (hope it doesn't need a new dash) and i'll have another look this weekend. (y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep the whole dash, I thought they’d have been able to find the rattle, the mechanic says he’s added foam in various places but it’s still there and they proposed to change it, which I’m really pleased about.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
We have a similar rattle in our f54 jcw but only with 19" wheels on , not with the winters which are 17" . I would rather put up with it than the dealer put a new dash in or even remove the dash for a look-not that i don't trust them!!!

Reactions: vicvo and ventmore
1 - 20 of 23 Posts