Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I have a very early F56 one of the first customer cars delivered.

Just like most of you its had many faults and things replaced. Wings mirrors,Door cards, Full software update and so on.

After 2 years and 24k its finally decided it wants its first oil service !

Cars booked in for tomorrow and having the door jams sorted as well.

Is there any other work that I have forgotten to mention that might need sorting ?

I know it has another bit of recall work being done. Forgot what the guy said it was this time.

·
Registered
890 Posts
They seem to like to check your brake wear as well, whether or not the warning light has been on.

The rear pads appear to wear more quickly than expected, but they are thinner to start with which gives the impression of a quicker wear rate.

My first service is due next month.
I checked the brake pads last week when I put my non winter wheels back on, and there is still plenty of life left in them. Only 12,000 miles though!

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Have the service intervals change with the F56?

It was always 2 years or 20000 miles which came soonest or before if the system said so, ie a lot of stop/start driving could make it earlier! 24000 miles is a lot on the original oil!

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
They seem to like to check your brake wear as well, whether or not the warning light has been on.

The rear pads appear to wear more quickly than expected, but they are thinner to start with which gives the impression of a quicker wear rate.

My first service is due next month.
I checked the brake pads last week when I put my non winter wheels back on, and there is still plenty of life left in them. Only 12,000 miles though!
Someone on a different group said when his was in for a service the dealer rang to say the brakes needed doing! He foolishly said do them and got a bill for over £450 just for pads!! No discs. Talk about highway robbery!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have the service intervals change with the F56?

It was always 2 years or 20000 miles which came soonest or before if the system said so, ie a lot of stop/start driving could make it earlier! 24000 miles is a lot on the original oil!
Mine wants to do 2 years or 25k ! as shows this month and within 1000 miles !

Dread to think what the oil looks like !

·
Registered
890 Posts
The apparent premature wear rate, in particular of the rear pads, has been discussed on this forum.

Some first service owners have been advised they need renewed when perhaps not necessary but the service people are projecting that they will need renewed before the next inspection/service, therefore they should do it now.

That may be the case, but not for those prices, especially if there is still plenty of life in the pads.

It is a home job, or if not, a bread and butter job for a local independant, trustworthy, garage when the time comes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The apparent premature wear rate, in particular of the rear pads, has been discussed on this forum.

Some first service owners have been advised they need renewed when perhaps not necessary but the service people are projecting that they will need renewed before the next inspection/service, therefore they should do it now.

That may be the case, but not for those prices, especially if there is still plenty of life in the pads.

It is a home job, or if not, a bread and butter job for a local independant, trustworthy, garage when the time comes.
My old R50 never had new rears and did 60k !

I know my MINI centre quite well we have had cars from them since the R50 came out so they best not try it on !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All done, Door jams have to be booked again in to be sorted.

Brakes have plenty of mm left all round so all good. Nothing elect to report.

Dint know MINI have changed oil suppliers from castrol to shell

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
Crazy price for brake pads and it's really easy to do including the wear sensor which simply slots in; my r 56 was one of the simplest brake pad changes i've done. then reset the computer.

Yes shell are now preferred oil supplier ( from castrol then prior to that mobil i understand). it's all about the cash!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Crazy price for brake pads and it's really easy to do including the wear sensor which simply slots in; my r 56 was one of the simplest brake pad changes i've done. then reset the computer.

Yes shell are now preferred oil supplier ( from castrol then prior to that mobil i understand). it's all about the cash!
Only noticed as they had a display on the desk explaining that Shell use gas to create there oil and its much more environmentally friendly....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.