Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have had my MCS for around 2 months now and is 10 months old and 5k on the clock. It was an ex demo/main dealer staff car. I was enquiring at my local service centre which is a long way from where I bought the car as to the history mainly re the crank shaft bearing recall. They said that it was recalled back in Sept 2015 and all it needed was 2 bolts. They also said that it needed a software update due to airbags.

So it goes in on Monday and I asked how long it will take as I could wait while it was done and the said that it can take 20 minutes but it can take a couple of days. So I will have a courtesy car .

All seems a bit flaky ,I used to work in IT and did system S/W upgrades all the time and although a few didn't go as per the book this Mini update does seem a bit of a lottery.

Also confused re the 2 bolts required on the crank shaft recall, what ,how and why. Does anybody know?

This will be my first experience of Mini service so will be interesting to see how they perform.

I will update later in the week:)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Just guessing, but if they did the bearing recall in September, that involves changing the centre main bearing shell, if the wrong one had been fitted and inspecting for wear or damage.

If there is wear or damage the engine is changed. If not than the shell is changed and the sump cover is replaced and the engine should be fine.

It used to be the case that good practice was to change big end and main bearing housing bolts if they were removed, due to possible stretching and future unreliability, so maybe the two bolts they replaced are the two main bearing housing bolts?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mines also in for a software update on Tuesday. Being a software engineer, I asked her what was included in the update, she said control module. Anyone know what the updates actually update?
I would imagine that although the update is for an Airbag issue they will update all s/w to the latest release.

Control module covers a multitude of possibilities . Hope the new s/w is fully tested !!:eek:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Software update carried out and all seems OK

I also asked about the 2 bolts that were changed on an earlier post that was due to the crankshaft bearing recall.
It turns out that a crankshaft bearing was changed and two new bolts were used .

There was no damage and they inferred that the bearing was changed to prevent future possible early wear.

So all seems OK. Early days but I hope to keep the car and I will take out additional warranty when the current 3 years expires.
I assume that is is a long term fix and should see the life time of the engine out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.