Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am very new to minis and also driving so I’m not sure if this is normal or not.

I just bought a 2009 mini and she seems to drive fine.

it’s been very cold here the last few mornings around -3 , I’ve found when I start the car she revs herself for around 45 seconds and then she drops back to normal range.

is this normal ?
Thanks in advance!

· Registered
47 Posts
Hi there,

I am very new to minis and also driving so I’m not sure if this is normal or not.

I just bought a 2009 mini and she seems to drive fine.

it’s been very cold here the last few mornings around -3 , I’ve found when I start the car she revs herself for around 45 seconds and then she drops back to normal range.

is this normal ?
Thanks in advance!
it is normal if the RPMs don't climb too high. My experience over the years is they should stay under 2K though initially RPMs might approach 2K.

But right after the initial spike the RPMs will come down to ~1K and can remain elevated a minute or so until the O2 sensors and converter are hot enough to work as they should. At this time the engine controller will switch to closed loop mode which is the mode in which it can use the O2 sensor signals to more precisely fuel the engine.

My SOP is to let the cold engine run at its fast idle until the RPMs drop to near normal hot idle level. At this point I know the engine controller is in closed loop mode.

By waiting my experience is the engine is more tractable. But most of my cars have been equipped with manual transmissions. My current MINI is fitted with a 7-speed Sport dual clutch transmission (automatic for short...) and is not too bad if I decide to move off sooner. But I just kind of like to wait until the engine RPMs drop a bit. Old habits die hard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts