Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! For anyone wondering what the cosmic does it saves you having to wax your car for up to 2 years.

It's just the same as the dealer paint protection they try to sell you, except you can buy a superior product for $90 and do it yourself.

Goes on just like a wax and buffs off after 20 min then you leave it for 24 hours to cure. It also protects against minor swirls and scratches as it forms a fairly hard skin, adds a nice gloss too.

·
Super Moderator
8,822 Posts
Glad someone else has seen the light and done it themselves; plenty of stuff available out there to diy and equally as good and as you say, not difficult-just labour intensive. Basically the dealers have to clean and valet the cars as part of the pdi-if we buy the treatments (around £200-£300 in our area) you're effectively paying them to do that ! Yes all very nice and shiney but it's not a black art , it is doable with a bit of time and effort. Fair doobes if like most round us, you don't want to look after the car! I am the only one out of our close of 11 houses who ever polishes any of their cars, and there are only 3 households including us who wash their own cars!
Even when we had a 'coating' on a car-once as it was a stocker and had been done, i applied wax on top (polishes take them off apparently but waxes on top are ok!).
Funny this time , with Emmett they didn't even try! They could see from my none treated (well i had) px that i didnt need it!

·
Registered
120 Posts
You got me curious about the "Goes on just like a wax". I applied other products like gtechniq csl and found that a perfect streak free finish is not that easy to achieve. Had to polish some parts again.

What about water behaviour?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
You got me curious about the "Goes on just like a wax". I applied other products like gtechniq csl and found that a perfect streak free finish is not that easy to achieve. Had to polish some parts again.

What about water behaviour?

Polish Angel products are awesome. It's like rubbing a cream on the car, comes off super easy even after 20 min left on. I did two coats in 1 day. Leave 2 hours in between each coat, then 24 hours after to cure before being exposed to water. Lasts 18-24 months.

You just need to use their final polish product (invincible) before hand as it contains an activating hardener for the cosmic sealant. Without it you won't get the 9H pencil strength.

9H pencil strength is the hardness achieved by certain sealants. It's the best you can hope for and only a few ceramic coatings offer it. It's an industry standard measurement - 9H.

Here it is, about $100 in Australia. http://www.polishangel.co.uk/products/glasscoat-cosmic-v1

And the polish/hardener - http://www.polishangel.co.uk/products/polishangel-glasscoat-invincible

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome results! If you have time, it would be great if you tell us the process in bullet points
  • Wash really well using a microfibre mit. Rinse.
  • While car is wet start claying. Using a clay bar and lubricant (they come as kits) go around the paint and apply a lot of lubricant and lightly rub the clay bar back and forth over the paint. Turn the clay bar in on it's self after each section. You will mar the paint with the clay bar, don't panic it polishes off very easy.
  • Wash again and rinse, dry using a quality microfibre towel.
  • Using a hand applicator (https://www.waxit.com.au/collection...ducts/concours-hand-polishing-pal-90mm-velcro) and a polishing pad to fit the applicator (https://www.waxit.com.au/collection...untry-ccs-white-polishing-foam-flat-pad-4-6-5) apply small amounts of polish angel invincible and in circular motions polish each section of paint going back and forth over the section until the product is well worked in. Then buff off using a microfibre cloth.
  • Once whole car has been polished, using the foam applicator that comes with Polish angel cosmic apply a very small amount of cosmic and very lightly apply in circular motions on each section of paint. Just like applying a wax.
  • Do this for 30 min then stop and start buffing off from where you started.
  • Apply 2 coats with 2 hours in between. Leave for 24 hours. Done.

You can apply both invincible and cosmic to vinyl bonnet stripes and chrome.

Note** This is for a brand new car with no paint defects, if you have swirls in your paint you will need to get these buffed out first before applying the cosmic otherwise you will lock in the swirls for 2 years. I took delivery of my Mini without any detailing by the dealership, straight off the boat into my garage. This way the swirls would be very minimal, if any.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.