Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, instead of posting more on a thread I created a while ago I thought it would be better to create a new one because of a surprising update to the car.

Here's the original thread which explains the intermittent issues I was having with my bluetooth:
http://www.minif56.com/forum/409-electronics-audio/18850-flaky-bluetooth-confused.html

So my Mini has been with MINI in Aberdeen for 24 hours and have picked it up today. I spoke to one of the technicians and he mentioned that they had had a small amount (two or three) cars with the same issue of the bluetooth not connecting. I was mindful enough to record this on my phone the last time it had happened to me which was helpful. There was no quibble or blaming the phone rather than the head unit. John, the technician explained that on the F56 the bluetooth isn't a separate module - it's all part of the head unit, but he checked and there was a software update available.

I also happened to mention that my car suffered very slightly from occasionally lurching forward from start (it's an auto cooper BTW).

What I didn't mention was that I was slightly concerned that my fuel consumption was lower than what people were getting here - approx. 36mpg in varied driving conditions. I put this down to a little spirited driving, possibly the auto not being as efficient and the fact I'm on 15" steel rims for the winter... with winter tyres.

So, picked it up. John mentioned that whilst testing the same thing happened to him (so definitely not an issue with my phone) and that after the software update things seemed to me much more stable - ie. it didn't flake out. He also mentioned that they test drove it and didn't experience any lurching at junctions.

The curious thing is that after doing another 60 miles or so, my petrol consumption has increased dramatically from 36mpg to 44mpg, and that's with a mix of driving conditions AND a fair bit of sport mode! I've not noticed any performance hit at all - in fact most of the 60miles I've just done were down country roads.

All in I'm happy. The software update seems to have helped in a few ways.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Are these software levels and fixes published? , I'd like to know if my software level has that fix included.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something else to mention as well. During my conversation with John, he mentioned that they're all new to this - the head unit being a completely new piece of kit - I'm not seeing this as being in any way inefficient, but an honest response to such a new machine and technology. He mentioned that the greatest issues they had were with the apple iPhone as apple keep updating the software which Mini/BMW then have to respond to in terms of car/head unit updates. I'm using a windows phone, and although I don't therefore have access to mini connected, I've not noticed any issues or problems whatsoever relating to the software of the phone itself.
He also mentioned however, that software updates are only performed on cars where an issue has been raised. ie. just because your car is in for a service or say, a mechanical issue, it doesn't necessarily mean they will update the system software - he did suggest if you were really wanting to update the software without any reason then you may have to pay for it. This doesn't surprise me too much as updating takes time and Mini probably run on the mantra 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', but it may be worth an ask to check if you're running the latest software should you happen to be taking the car in anyway.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are these software levels and fixes published? , I'd like to know if my software level has that fix included.
I really don't know PTet - however, I seem to remember that someone on this forum posted a link to a BMW idrive webpage that showed the latest updates. I'll have a look for it. This isn't the update from the Mini website which doesn't seem to have been updated for a long time(!)

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Thanks, Sunster.

This gives me hope.

I believe I have the juddering/lurching issue in my MCS-A.

I've been driving with the Auto Stop/Start for a week and, unless it's my imagination, it is much better. In another thread a user mentioned a tech note (dealing with the idle, I believe) that I plan to share with the dealer when I take it in. Now I can reference your conversation.

My car has 3,600 miles on it, now. I want to really break it in before dropping it off.

Happy New Year! :)

JP

Reactions: Sunster

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the follow up, sunster!

As my Cooper SD is being affected by the same strange BT issue I'd be very curious to learn which head unit you have installed:
Is it the Visual Boost (which I have) or Navigation XL? And if it's the Visual Boost could you please check which SW version you're now on?
Mine is on Media: MV-010.012.001, Telephone: TV-010.012.001 and I'm still facing the issue from time to time..

Thanks a bunch, have a brilliant 2015 and best greetings from Germany!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the follow up, sunster!

As my Cooper SD is being affected by the same strange BT issue I'd be very curious to learn which head unit you have installed:
Is it the Visual Boost (which I have) or Navigation XL? And if it's the Visual Boost could you please check which SW version you're now on?
Mine is on Media: MV-010.012.001, Telephone: TV-010.012.001 and I'm still facing the issue from time to time..

Thanks a bunch, have a brilliant 2015 and best greetings from Germany!
Hi there mobile navigator, I'm away on business until the third but will check on my return. Incidentally, I have the visual boost radio, the same as you I think. When I can get into the car I will note down the software versions and get back to you.

Wishing you, and everyone else, the best mini adventures for 2015.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Folks,

so, just got the software update versions for you:

Media: MV-100.011.001
Phone: TV-100.011.001

as you can see, it seems to be a big update (if the numbers are anything to go by).

Would be interesting to see what versions other people have on the site.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How can I check the software version if I have a basic radio? I didn't want to spend $500 to upgrade the visuals. My 2015 F56 was built 9/2014, and when I checked with the dealer couple days ago, they said there's no update for mine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How can I check the software version if I have a basic radio? I didn't want to spend $500 to upgrade the visuals. My 2015 F56 was built 9/2014, and when I checked with the dealer couple days ago, they said there's no update for mine.
I wish I can delete my previous post. Anyways, you can check the software version of the ECU by using E-SYS coding software.

There are two versions that I know of, one is from July 2014, and the latests is from November 2014. My car has production date September 2014, so it has the July 2014 software in it. Dealer will not update the software unless there's a recall or service bulletin related to the software for my car. I read it really takes up to 4 hours to flash all the ECUs. Mine has 12 ECUs, and it's pretty much basic F56 with only Automatic gear and Sports package.

The version numbers shown in those infotainment systems are just for the software that is loaded in that and it's not related to the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for linking me here Sunster!
Unfortunately I am running the Nov software as I bought the car at the beginning of Dec :(!

Still having the issues, but it is going back to the dealer for 2 days for more 'checks' on the 27th.

Will report any findings! :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for linking me here Sunster!
Unfortunately I am running the Nov software as I bought the car at the beginning of Dec :(!

Still having the issues, but it is going back to the dealer for 2 days for more 'checks' on the 27th.

Will report any findings! :)
I'm not sure if your issues are the same as mine with the bluetooth, but something I found was really really helpful was to use my phone to video the centre screen when it stopped functioning. I showed this to the guy doing the service so he had a better idea than me just explaining it. In the end, he told me that because of the video he tried using his phone and managed to replicate the issues, thus taking my phone out of the equation entirely. There was never an issue with them challenging me, but sometimes the service departments of car garages can be less than forthcoming in going that bit further into investigating intermittent problems.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Folks,

so, just got the software update versions for you:

as you can see, it seems to be a big update (if the numbers are anything to go by).

Would be interesting to see what versions other people have on the site.
I have the same numbers (as above) and still have the problem every now and then, so firmware update is not the solution!! The difference must be on a chipset change from some point in production and on.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm not sure if your issues are the same as mine with the bluetooth, but something I found was really really helpful was to use my phone to video the centre screen when it stopped functioning. I showed this to the guy doing the service so he had a better idea than me just explaining it. In the end, he told me that because of the video he tried using his phone and managed to replicate the issues, thus taking my phone out of the equation entirely. There was never an issue with them challenging me, but sometimes the service departments of car garages can be less than forthcoming in going that bit further into investigating intermittent problems.
So, you mean its not caused by the phone, right? can we have this in writing please, because same issue here, and they try to put it on the iPhone iOS version 8.x

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, you mean its not caused by the phone, right? can we have this in writing please, because same issue here, and they try to put it on the iPhone iOS version 8.x
Well, all I can say is that for me the issue arose BEFORE I could pair the phone (I use a windows 8 phone) - and this happened when picking up the car so was witnessed by the manager - who tried pairing his Apple phone and a colleague's android phone.

When I took it in to be looked at (at a different Mini garage) I showed them the movies I'd taken. Whilst there the service technician had the same issue on his android phone - this was without me being present or my own phone being in the vicinity of the vehicle.

Now - this is not to say there isn't still a possible fault, though I have yet to see it and I have handed that particular car over to my Mum. I now have a MCSD, this time with media XL and I have yet to have this issue at all.

I suggest you try and borrow an android or windows phone and see if you can recreate the issue... and if you can, video it. The key here is that it doesn't just affect the pairing of a phone, but if you try and access the system handbook it won't do this either and that has nothing to do with your phone.

Good luck!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well, all I can say is that for me the issue arose BEFORE I could pair the phone (I use a windows 8 phone) - and this happened when picking up the car so was witnessed by the manager - who tried pairing his Apple phone and a colleague's android phone.

When I took it in to be looked at (at a different Mini garage) I showed them the movies I'd taken. Whilst there the service technician had the same issue on his android phone - this was without me being present or my own phone being in the vicinity of the vehicle.

Now - this is not to say there isn't still a possible fault, though I have yet to see it and I have handed that particular car over to my Mum. I now have a MCSD, this time with media XL and I have yet to have this issue at all.

I suggest you try and borrow an android or windows phone and see if you can recreate the issue... and if you can, video it. The key here is that it doesn't just affect the pairing of a phone, but if you try and access the system handbook it won't do this either and that has nothing to do with your phone.

Good luck!
Thx, already have taken video and fwded it to my service.. And it does affect the handbook which freezes, and stays that way... Still no reply from service though

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thx, already have taken video and fwded it to my service.. And it does affect the handbook which freezes, and stays that way... Still no reply from service though
Stick with it.

Given the proof, they need to give you a factual explanation of why this isn't working. You can, if you haven't already done so, cite other people who have had this issue - just print out various comments from the threads on this site. If you have no answer back then I would take it a step further and insist that BMW respond.
Personally I would do so by issuing a formal letter firstly to the dealership stating that in light of the evidence presented they have 28 days to respond (get the letter sent by signed for post or go to the dealership and get them to countersign a copy), if they don't respond say that your letter will be forwarded to BMW. I don't know what the exact procedure is for this, though am sure someone on this forum could give advice.

After having said all of that, you're dealership is probably in the dark about the intricacies of the system and inevitably it will be BMW who will need to give them the information they require so, as frustrating as these things can be, always be firm but polite as it usually helps to keep the dealer on your side.

Reactions: Dimitri
1 - 20 of 167 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.