Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Group,

I would like to know a little more about these lights as far as where the wires are run, where the switch is located and what the switch looks like. This is for USA Owners, since I believe there are differences in the install between countries.

I was only recently informed by my dealer that the install here in the US (as an accessory) is $1,589 (which was much more than the previous estimate when I placed my order). So, I'm in a bit of a panic...my little guy is at the port and will have the LED rally lights installed any time now.

It's a bit late, but I still may have time to delete them if I feel too uncomfortable with the set-up.

Anyone with the LED lights with any photos of the install, wiring, and especially the switch location and what it looks like would be immensely appreciated.

It's truly a shame that MINI doesn't provide such information to buyers, but I've not seen anything....just the Advertisement.

Thanks for any help,

John

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will take a pic of the switch today for you.

I really appreciate that! My MA tells me there is a button/switch on the steering column. I was told the dealer will install them instead of at the port.....this will expedite my car's delivery, which I won't argue with! My MA's description makes me feel a little better, but seeing the real deal is better.

Are you pleased with the way the install went overall? No loose wires, etc....all nice and tidy?

·
Registered
457 Posts
John these pics should put your mind at rest - switch install looks very tidy.
I know mine was done in UK but can guarantee there are no untidy wires. You can't even see them coming out behind the lights.
The only way I knew they had been fitting them was when I opened the glovebox and found a wire hanging down and with the light unit lying loose inside!!!

Have you queried the installation price? Must charge fantastic labour rates in US!!
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for taking the time to take the pics Starlily...MUCH appreciated! That does help ease my mind.

John these pics should put your mind at rest - switch install looks very tidy.

I know mine was done in UK but can guarantee there are no untidy wires. You can't even see them coming out behind the lights.

The only way I knew they had been fitting them was when I opened the glovebox and found a wire hanging down and with the light unit lying loose inside!!!

Have you queried the installation price? Must charge fantastic labour rates in US!!
Good luck.
Yes indeed.....I just hope it goes smoothly...I'm kinda freaked about a mechanic digging around in my brand new MINI! I'm not even having the paint detailed, as I prefer to do it myself...an all black car can show swirls like nobody's business after all!

I am not going to crow about the increased cost anymore...I've made my point with the dealer. I'd hope there will be a free set of floor mats or something for the surprise increase of $554 for installing the LED rally lights. I was told that MINI Corporate had estimated 3-4 hrs for the install, and they realized that was not enough labor time...it was more like 5-6 hours. They said it's alot of work. So, I guess for a couple extra hours that's about $277/Hr.....darn good money!

Seriously, I think the main problem is the LED's cost more than the halogens, and they just aren't up to speed on their charges for the LED rally lights. $1,589 still a hefty price installed though imo.

So, next week the car should be at the dealer....we'll see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts