Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Just wondering about 3rd GEN Cooper S models. As in my case, I own 2016 MCS Hardtop 4dr with <25K miles on it + factory warranty still active almost throughout this year. I take a good care of it with proper maintenance and even lube some moving parts such as door hinges, bonnet/boot locks and so on.

If any one that had their car for some time would comment about the likelihood of issues that could arise when the car hits "this many miles" or is there a safe mileage or age of the car where it would be good to sell the car before it starts to drain the wallet.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I’m in a 2016 JCW, 62,000kms, and it hasn’t missed a beat. I’ll happily keep it for many more years yet, and I normally switch every 3-4 years. Other than routine maintenance, tyres, brakes etc, it’s been great.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've got a late 2015 MCS hardtop with ~65000 miles on it and haven't really had any issues yet, the only thing I've fixed is damage from hitting a badger, and the steering wheels horn contacts corroded (common issue for early f56's, google it for more info) so I took the airbag off and cleaned them and now its fine.

·
Super Moderator
6,827 Posts
Bit like asking how long a piece of string is-the longer you own it and the more miles you do the more likely things will go wrong! Alternator 100k miles and maybe water pump=think timing chains 130k ish, radiator maybe around this point, battery-say every 6 years depending on quality-shocks will be tired at 100k too! Rule of thumb from past experience only!!! and of course if you look after it well and are lucky-electrics etc are an unknown. Wear and tear items excluded eg brakes-discs/pads!

·
Registered
89 Posts
2014 MCS with Tuning Kit (manual).

68,000 miles.

• Replaced windscreen washer pump twice (at about 25,000 and 55,000)
  • USB socket playing up
  • Horn contacts fixed but now getting funny again
Going in for major service this month so will update if anything pops up.

·
Registered
608 Posts
This thread reminds me of the time (1980) when my late dad bought a brand new Austin Maxi.

It broke down on the 3 mile journey home from the dealer, thanks to a Joe Lucas (aka the Prince Of Darkness) coil failure.

Coil failure - the cause of so many breakdowns back in the day....and a few pregnancies too, I'd guess. ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bit like asking how long a piece of string is-the longer you own it and the more miles you do the more likely things will go wrong! Alternator 100k miles and maybe water pump=think timing chains 130k ish, radiator maybe around this point, battery-say every 6 years depending on quality-shocks will be tired at 100k too! Rule of thumb from past experience only!!! and of course if you look after it well and are lucky-electrics etc are an unknown. Wear and tear items excluded eg brakes-discs/pads!
I do understand if you keep car long enough, things might/will break. I have heard few stories from my local colleagues and friends who owned German car which were BMW and Audi. Many of them reported that their cars were pretty much trouble free(minor stuff only) for the first 60 to 70K and then things started to go out one by one. So most of them got rid of their vehicles by 80 to 90K as it wouldn't be financially good thing to keep fixing stuff.

Quick summary of few of my previous vehicles:

-Owned 1995 Corolla which I bought in 2000 (bought it from auction which had been in a collision with another vehicle). It has 50K on it when I bough it. Kept it only for 3 years as I wanted something better. I did have to repair starter once, so no big deal and my local mechanic did it.
-Bought pretty much new 2004 Corolla S, kept it for 3 years, so no issues at all. Just wanted something a bit faster and nicer.
-Had 2003 Acura TL loaded which I too bough used in 2006 which had around 70K on it(highway miles). Kept it for 3 years and sold when car had 96K on it. I had to replace front brakes and rotors. Also Acura had couple of recalls performed which were free.
-Bought new Toyota/Scion xD in 2008 and modded it a bit throughout its life. Kept it for around 8 years and sold it when it had 56K miles. 1 recall was performed and 1 time early in the first 3 years water pump was leaking, so Toyota replaced under warranty.

This is my first MINI and first used German car and I do appreciate this little and yet fun to drive car :), I just don't want major issues early in its life which could indicate the build quality issues.

I bought it with less than 20K miles and within the year I drove about 5K, which is not much. No track or driving hard from the stop light. Only occasional fun on the twisty roads and highways :) With that said, the MINI did the following in my 1 year of ownership:

-Replaced lower control arms. When I came to the dealer with this issue, the service advisor told me that he "believes "these were already replaced on the vehicle a year or so ago. Possible when another owner had it. Don't know for sure if lower control arms were replaced once or twice.
-Front upper strut mount made some rubber-rubbing noise, so dealer replaced struts and upper mounts.
-The recent issue was with clunk/thump noise in the back...tech replaced rear shock but though it didn't help and put back my original shocks but for the sake of diagnosis tightened the center nut on the shock rod. Which did make the noise go away. Don't know if it was temp or permanent fix.

All these things were covered under warranty and if this car won't have major issues in the next 5 years, I would keep it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m in a 2016 JCW, 62,000kms, and it hasn’t missed a beat. I’ll happily keep it for many more years yet, and I normally switch every 3-4 years. Other than routine maintenance, tyres, brakes etc, it’s been great.
I too used to keep cars for 3 or so years but my last Scion xD was with me for 8 until I sold it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got a late 2015 MCS hardtop with ~65000 miles on it and haven't really had any issues yet, the only thing I've fixed is damage from hitting a badger, and the steering wheels horn contacts corroded (common issue for early f56's, google it for more info) so I took the airbag off and cleaned them and now its fine.
Right, there were some service bulletin info about that horn contacts. I also read about front strut mounts issues, the rear shocks issue and lower control arms needing replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You may not realise it, but even (ought to know) comments like yours here is really helpful to noobs like myself.
At least I have idea somewhat. Thanks mate! ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts