Mini Cooper Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, It’s been about a month since my friend Nick and I installed Forge's intake hard pipe. Here’s an update and quick product review.

Purchased From:
: Way Motor Works, they had it in-stock and on sale at the time.
- https://www.waymotorworks.com/forge-...-f57-mini.html

Product Quality:
: Excellent (y) I understand why this product is normally not in-stock or backordered.

Removal and Installation:
: Forge’s instructions were straightforward and easy to follow.
The only difficult part was removing the OEM pipe in one piece without removal of the NM Engineering strut brace.
- We found it was easier to separate the OEM part by removing the one time use clamp then pulling the pipe out from the left side of the engine bay.

For the installation we removed three out of the four bolts on the NM Engineering brace and tilting it upwards.
- The fourth bolt would not come out and did not want to take a chance with stripping it.

Nick is going to post a video to his YouTube channel “The MINI Vlog” in more detail about the installation process. I will update this thread with the link once it’s up. Also he's a member of this forum!
- https://m.youtube.com/c/TheMINIVlog

Review:
: I’ve done about three hundred miles since installation. I can say that throttle response feels quicker and smoother especially in Sport mode. Inside the cabin you can hear the engine/turbo a little more but, I did not purchase this product for noise.
- I have Active Sound Design disabled via BimmerCode and the OEM engine air filter installed

: I love how this product cleans up the rear of the engine bay and it doesn’t scream aftermarket other than the silicon hose with their name on it

: Only downside is the silicone hose is thicker and with the strut brace installed you cannot easily change the engine air filter without removing the entire air filter assembly.
- It’s not a dealbreaker for me but just wanted to mention it in case any forum members had that question

: I haven’t really noticed the pipe getting hot but it does get warm. I feel and could be wrong but the plastic pipe felt hotter at times.

Gas Mileage:
: Before, 25-28mpg. I have the NM Engineering power module installed and set to low. Mixed driving conditions (street/highway and in Sport mode)
: After, 33.3mpg on the last drive which included heavy stop and go traffic on the highway in Sport mode and same low setting for the power module.

Overall I’m very happy with this product and it’s quality. Sure the installation could have been simpler by removing the heat shield, wipers and cowlings but we did not want to go down that rabbit hole.
Vehicle Motor vehicle White Hood Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Trunk Automotive exterior

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Speedometer Steering part

Motor On :cool:, Rich

·
Registered
2019 A94 F56 JCW AUTO
148 Posts
Wow, this is a great review! Is the pipe "illegal" in California?
I want to install on my Mini but I'm really concerned about the smog check, which I will be in due next year.

Reactions: RichsMINI

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@in_wonee, thanks :)
@tvpostsound mentioned that over in the NAM forums regarding the smog test.

I checked Forge's website and it doesn't say anything about "off-road use only" or "emissions". I'm wondering if their US office would have the answer?

Their contact information is Forge Motorsport US – (407)-447-5363 / [email protected].

I may even call tomorrow just to ask :unsure:
If I get any additional information I will update you,

Rich

·
Registered
2019 A94 F56 JCW AUTO
148 Posts
@in_wonee, I contacted Forge and was told their products are not "EPA certified" and "not sure" it would pass CA emissions. Rich
Thank you so much for your help! Now, I gotta hold on the purchasing until my smog check is completed...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts