Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, as the title implies I owned an R53 in the past. Considering an F56 and just checking things out here. I will become much more interested if I see others out there modding their cars especially in regard to boosting hp and torque numbers. I've recently seen some tuners claiming 300 hp with a tune and limited mods. Curious to see where the stock limits are and what can be done to fortify and push beyond that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

· Registered
38 Posts
I think the limiter on the JCW is its FWD. With tuning chips you can get close to 300 hp/ft-lbs and I think that even that would result in a lot of wasted wheelspin at times.
The car is already pretty fun stock. I get third gear tire chirps under acceleration and at highway speeds it pulls strong without downshifting. The rest of the car is light years beyond the R53. I had one as well as four R56's. Time marches on and the F56 is the best iteration of modern MINI yet.
I often wonder about arbritrary horsepower levels though. Mercedes is getting 375hp from a 2litre on their CLA/GLA's but those are AWD. I think most brands tune conservatively both for longterm longevity and to leave some room for future power bumps.

· Registered
87 Posts
Seems there are a lot of tuning kits and chips out there (Schnitzer, MG Performance, Seletron (Chipbox), TMC Motorsport, Burger Tuning, Racechip.eu, Remus, B&B Automobiltechnik) that seem to do a good work. Also in US (NM Engineering).

I would not go too far with torque increase, the auto transmission range is 450 Nm and the stock engine power is 320Nm. So in theory there is a safety of approx. 40% for maximum values, I would definitely not exceed the 400Nm threshold.

Sure thing, the stock car is fun, sure thing the engine is quite underrated and you could easily squeeze out a 10% to 20% more power for normal use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.