Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have been reading this forum now for a couple of months trying to decide how to build the best Mini Cooper for me. But, also confirming the reliability of the, now BMW, Mini.
The last Mini I owned was in 1991, a lovely red (starting to go pink due to wear) S reg (WRC 137S), sad that I remember the Registration number.
I have no recollection of the spec except I changed so much on it (bucket seats, steering wheel, large rear wheels with spacers, engine, gear box... the list goes on) but the one thing that sticks with me is how many times it broke down. In the end I drove it to a garage, with the radiator emptying itself on the forecourt, and bought a new car. I didn't even look back......actually that's not true, I looked to see how much of the radiator had emptied....as I remember it was quite a puddle.
So now, having just turned 40, decided that I've had enough of boring cars and want something fun and fast to drive. I don't like the Fiesta's, Astra's, Golfs etc.... looked at the BMW Z4, but can't get the kids in. So hello Mini :D

So to my spec.

Must haves are:
VO
Chilli Pack
Heated front seats
Heated front screen
HUD
VDC (Variable damper control)
LED Headlights
JCW Steering wheel

Undecided / Not sure:
Vis boost or Media Pack
Cooper S or SD.
The last one is the biggest decision for me. Do I want a great sounding exhaust in sport or better fuel economy?
My heart says S, my head says SD.
I think the daily commute could eventually make me dislike the S due to my heavy foot (70 miles a day) and as far as I can see there is not much difference from 0-62MPH, 6.8 or 7.2.

I have a few questions for the new SD owners;
Did you have this dilemma?
Does the exhaust give any sporty sound?
What would you think your MPG will average out to be?
How quick does it feel?
How noisy is the Diesel Engine?

Going back to my Title, I have a few things that need paying off before I can order the Mini and this will take me another 10 months.
My good lady has pointed out I'm going to send myself crazy by the time I actually order the car. Sytners in Nottingham already know me by my first name ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Hi scoop I bought mine from sytner Nottingham. They are totally brilliant. I think you have to test drive both versions as only you can decide but with that sort of daily mileage diesel makes sense.with your media pack I don't think you can have the hud without.unless they changed it decision is made there for you! Happy buying! J

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a 5 door SD on the way (soon...let it be soon!) and a 30 min test drive sold it for me.

I tried both the S and the SD and while the S was definitely an ASBO of a beast :) the SD wasn't enough less of one to make me regret getting the added fuel economy.

I would say go drive both of them and see how much of a smile gets left pasted on your face lol

·
Registered
307 Posts
Scoop
Welcome to the forum
So many questions to answer, but between a Cooper S or Diesel, for me was a no brainer.

I went for a VO Cooper S as I wanted a nippy little car and the sounds that it produces in sport mode. Namely the exhaust pop in Sport mode.
It's a each to his own, some like the economy of the diesel, but for me it's too heavy any engine in the Mini, drive it quickly and it under steers due to the extra weight of the Diesel engine.. This probably wouldn't trouble most, but it does me..
The Cooper is supposed to be quite nice as well, so don't discount that. Try and drive them all, and then make your own mind up..
Like I say, I chose the Cooper S, and now has a Remus Cat Back system that sounds brilliant.
Happy Hunting..

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Didn't say but I've gone from an r56 cooper s (184bhp) to a Cooper petrol. Not missed the power yet. The 1.5 turbo is a feisty great sounding little beast and what I saved I added in options!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forgot to mention that I test drove the Cooper S a couple of months ago and loved it. Was incredibly surprised how quiet it was inside. In fact it was so quiet, even in sport mode, that I couldn't hear the exhaust. It was at this point the Mrs pointed out I would be buying the S for everyone else to hear. So why not consider the SD. The quietness also makes it feel like the car isn't going that fast.
The salesman informed me they were getting an SD in October and to come back for a test drive. I popped in a few weeks ago but didn't have time to drive it, only listen to what it sounded like. All I could hear was a noisy Diesel engine, nothing interesting.
I will drive them both before making my decision but will research the crap out of it before I buy :nerd:.

I have not considered the Cooper purely down to speed. I want a 0-60mph in sub 7 sec car. I'm aware there isn't a great deal between them all.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
890 Posts
As Jeremy says, don't discount the Cooper. It is said to be a very well balanced car, handling wise due to its lighter engine and my goodness it sounds good when you unleash it!

I also could add lots of extras for the money saved, and the Cooper is certainly fast enough for me and the economy is a major bonus.

I don't think I can remember owning a car that is so satisfying to drive that easily leaves tailgaters miles behind when they eventually need to be shown who's boss.

Lacks the Kudos of the S badge though!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Didn't say but I've gone from an r56 cooper s (184bhp) to a Cooper petrol. Not missed the power yet. The 1.5 turbo is a feisty great sounding little beast and what I saved I added in options!!!!
Jeremy, it's so encouraging to heat that. Everything I've read about the new 3-cyl engine has been good. It'll be the most powerful engine I've ever driven and I am keen to have a play.

Derek

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
I'm sure you won't be disappointed Derek I just love the mix of refinement the porsche like throb and the economy. Superb car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Build Spec has changed slightly; http://my.mini.co.uk/j6w4g4b3
  • F56 Cooper S
  • Chilli Red with Sports Int/ext pack
  • Cloth/Leatherette, black pearl carbon black
  • Heated Seats
  • Heated Screen
  • HUD
  • VDC
Trying to keep it below £25k. So the choice is:

• LED lights OR Panoramic roof.
    This choice is for something I don't have or an improvement to something that comes as standard (lights).
  • Visual Boost with Harmon Kardon OR Media Pack.
    Not a music nut, but appreciate a decent sound system. To be honest, after a while I probably wouldn't notice the difference. But if i had the Media pack, the resale value would increase.

Anyway, another couple of months to refine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
  • F56 Cooper S
  • Heated Seats
  • Heated Screen
  • HUD
  • VDC

This choice is for something I don't have or an improvement to something that comes as standard (lights).
    Not a music nut, but appreciate a decent sound system. To be honest, after a while I probably wouldn't notice the difference. But if i had the Media pack, the resale value would increase.

Based upon the cooper i have, the LED lights are fantastic and well worth it, love the light panoramic roofs bring but my uncle had a Picasso ten years ago but it seemed noisy in the rain.

Media XL is also very nice and so easy to use compared to the Sony system on my ford, The ford has voice recognition but only for somethings for example you cant program the sat nav in the ford but the mini you can do on the go via voice, little things like that did make me appreciate the thought that went into the system

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Text message from my dealer this afternoon:

Mini started production in the body shop.
Will update you again next week, have a nice weekend.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
283 Posts
You need to test drive the S and the SD. Even then its sometimes difficult to tell unless its an extended test drive. I has a SD for 2 day as a loan car It wasn't noisy but it wasn't as quiet as my Cooper D which is very quiet. I haven't driven the Cooper s but for others comments it sounds very sporty.
What would put me off the Cooper S is the fuel consumption (compared to the D) and whether the crankshaft end float some on here have experienced fault has been sorted.

Of the extras I wold have the sunroof over the LED lights which didn't seem that bright on the car I tried.
I think you can have HUD with visual boost which is now standard on the Chili pack
The media pack is too dear at £1175 though you will get the use of it and some back on resale.
I would love Harmon Kardon and would sacrifice heated seats and screen for it.

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Funny, how we all differ the only option I def wouldn't have would be the roof.I'd never open it due to climate control and I don't feel the interior needs to be lighter.the leds never cease to put a grin on my face tough. So pretty .

·
Registered
283 Posts
Funny, how we all differ the only option I def wouldn't have would be the roof.I'd never open it due to climate control and I don't feel the interior needs to be lighter.the leds never cease to put a grin on my face tough. So pretty .

Hi Jeremy

I think we have got used to sealing ourselves in air conditioned cars. I remember buying new BMWs and Audis in the late 90's and neither had air con but had sunroofs.
I actually use my air con very little, and only for a few summer months but I would love to be able to open a sunroof or use the tilt feature for some fresh air even in the winter.
But as you say we all have different priorities and we have a long list of options which is great to personalise your car with.

I agree the LEDs look pretty, but do you find them bright at night because the car I tried with LED headlights seem surprisingly dim to me.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Hi Jeremy

I think we have got used to sealing ourselves in air conditioned cars. I remember buying new BMWs and Audis in the late 90's and neither had air con but had sunroofs. I actually use my air con very little, and only for a few summer months but I would love to be able to open a sunroof or use the tilt feature for some fresh air even in the winter. But as you say we all have different priorities and we have a long list of options which is great to personalise your car with.

I agree the LEDs look pretty, but do you find them bright at night because the car I tried with LED headlights seem surprisingly dim to me.
Having a S/R or no S/R is also an opinion based on how we drive our cars. I agree with you about BMW's (80's & 90's for sure imo), but those S/R's are not panoramic (they are solid and insulated) - they simply have two functions...slide back for a totally open sunroof roof or tilt up the back for ventilation. I do not see the MINI S/R as a comparable to those....the panoramic style is what I really don't care for.

I much prefer a solid color roof on a MINI....Now, if MINI offered the same kind of S/R as BMW I might have gone for that. It's just a personal thing, and Jeremy & I agree on no S/R...others love them. I didn't go for it somewhat due to cost (and BMW doesn't charge extra for a S/R...I actually think they charge more for a "delete S/R"), but I prefer less things to go wrong, leak - plug drain tubes, etc. :)

Just my $.02 worth.

Reactions: opal

·
Registered
283 Posts
Having a S/R or no S/R is also an opinion based on how we drive our cars. I agree with you about BMW's (80's & 90's for sure imo), but those S/R's are not panoramic (they are solid and insulated) - they simply have two functions...slide back for a totally open sunroof roof or tilt up the back for ventilation. I do not see the MINI S/R as a comparable to those....the panoramic style is what I really don't care for.

I much prefer a solid color roof on a MINI....Now, if MINI offered the same kind of S/R as BMW I might have gone for that. It's just a personal thing, and Jeremy & I agree on no S/R...others love them. I didn't go for it somewhat due to cost (and BMW doesn't charge extra for a S/R...I actually think they charge more for a "delete S/R"), but I prefer less things to go wrong, leak - plug drain tubes, etc. :)

Just my $.02 worth.

In the UK sunroofs have always been quite an expensive extra or in BMWs case part of a SE pack. Sunroofs have also evolved from the manual solid metal type which then became electric and then glass before the current fashion of panoramic glass sunroofs.
I cant think of any cars that have the 'old' type of solid sliding roof....though I'm sure someone can!
Agree its a personal thing but in the UK I think the price for the sunroof option at £600 is reasonable in relation to the price of other extras, I paid more than that for a sunroof on my new BMW in 1995!
Also a sunroof may get more use in the UK where we want to make the most of the sun when it appears rather than shelter from its beating rays as in Arizona!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just to add that in the UK many top of the range cars Mercs, BMWS and Range Rovers etc have panoramic roofs as standard or at least an option. My Merc SL roof which has a metal folding hardtop has a panoramic glass roof (A £1500 option when new) and its isn't any noisier when it rains than a solid roof.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Living in Arizona a Sunroof only makes Sense from the middle of Dec. till the 1st of Feb..:D I remember when I had my SLK I barely opened the Roof because it is just too hot during the summer months even at night we had temps in the past of 94 to over 100 and with the Heat of the Streets you can get a Moon burn real easy.:eek: When I took the Test Drive in early April I drove a Mini with a Sunroof the Car heated up really fast I felt like I was sitting in deep Fryer rolling down the Road. :(

I love the airy feeling of a Sunroof or putting the Top down but AZ is just not the right Place for it.IMHO.

·
Registered
81 Posts
  • F56 Cooper S
  • Heated Seats
  • Heated Screen
  • HUD
  • VDC

We have the LED. roof, media, chilli pack and a few other bits. We dont have an S - the Mini was bought as a runaround for my wife and the Cooper is more than fast enough. In fact, in many ways i enjoy driving it more than my Golf GTi....

Heated seats would have been nice, wasnt bothered about the HUD or the heated screen as car rarely goes out first thing / at night and the wife never looks at the dials anyway....

Posh sound systems are wasted in a car - worst possible space to reproduce sound! I have BOSE at home but the standard kit does fine in the car.....

If the sport kit had been available when we bought I may have had that but it does add a chunk to the price and not sure that it will be recovered in resale....

We got ours down to about £20k after discount....

KR
Ian

1 - 20 of 20 Posts