Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've driven the wife's Ford Kuga a few times this week and noticed that it has almost zero free play in the gear stick. This got my OCD to wondering whether my MINI has a little too much.

Here's a couple of links to videos......does this seem like too much free play?

Neutral

In gear

·
Registered
2020 Mini Cooper Oxford edition. Starlight blue with black top, black mirror caps and black wheels.
52 Posts
Honestly that play seems normal to me for a manual transmission, but I have never driven a manual f56. Do the cars you are comparing have similar age and mileage? Is the Mini Cooper driven harder? As that can contribute to wear in the shift bushings. And lastly have you checked to make sure the gearshift in the Cooper is “secured”? When I got my first pickup, a 2003 five speed ranger (so not the most precise transmission), the gearshift had about an inch to two inches of side to side play when in gear. One day driving home I went for fifth gear and the stick actually popped of of the transmission! After I reassembled the thing it had a much tighter shift pattern and it has held to this day. So maybe check for a loose connection on yours if it gets worse overtime.
As a side note, next time you try to measure a shifter’s throws have a tape measure or something in place so we can get a more precise idea of how much it is moving.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks @Chase1032...you're probably right and it's just normal.

It's been that way since I got it and I didn't think anything of it as all my cars have had some play. It wasn't until I noticed the wife's car had almost no play that I started to question it.

My MCS is a 66 plate with 32k miles on. I don't abuse the gearbox but it was 2 years old with 18k miles on when I bought it, so I don't know how it was treated for the first couple of years.

The wife's car is a 15 plate Ford Kuga with 43k miles on. Definitely an apples to oranges comparison but it just got me wondering. I wouldn't even think about comparing it to my other car......it's a Citroen C3 Picasso with 110k miles on and the gear stick positioning and setup means there's a good bit of free play in that one even from new.

I'll bet that wasn't a fun moment when the stick popped off. I haven't checked to see if mine's loose at all, but I'll take a look if it does get any worse. As I said though, it's been like that since I got it, and I know the dealer has had it apart at some point to fit the new driving mode switch so if it was loose, they should've caught it.

I agree, it would've been better with a tape measure or something in the shot but I just took some quick videos before setting off to work. :)

Edit: Side to side movement is around 1/4 of an inch which is a lot less than I thought it would've been.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ford have a reputation for really good gearboxes that goes back decades. Having come from a Volvo with a Ford engine/gearbox, I have found the Mini one took some getting used to. I like it now but somehow the Ford unit was more precise.

·
Registered
2020 Mini Cooper Oxford edition. Starlight blue with black top, black mirror caps and black wheels.
52 Posts
Ford have a reputation for really good gearboxes that goes back decades. Having come from a Volvo with a Ford engine/gearbox, I have found the Mini one took some getting used to. I like it now but somehow the Ford unit was more precise.
My M5ODR1 and the Ford Mustang’s MT-82 would like to disagree with you. Maybe it is different overseas but the only decent Ford shifter I’ve messed with was in the Focus and fiesta ST.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks @Chase1032...you're probably right and it's just normal.

It's been that way since I got it and I didn't think anything of it as all my cars have had some play. It wasn't until I noticed the wife's car had almost no play that I started to question it.

My MCS is a 66 plate with 32k miles on. I don't abuse the gearbox but it was 2 years old with 18k miles on when I bought it, so I don't know how it was treated for the first couple of years.

The wife's car is a 15 plate Ford Kuga with 43k miles on. Definitely an apples to oranges comparison but it just got me wondering. I wouldn't even think about comparing it to my other car......it's a Citroen C3 Picasso with 110k miles on and the gear stick positioning and setup means there's a good bit of free play in that one even from new.

I'll bet that wasn't a fun moment when the stick popped off. I haven't checked to see if mine's loose at all, but I'll take a look if it does get any worse. As I said though, it's been like that since I got it, and I know the dealer has had it apart at some point to fit the new driving mode switch so if it was loose, they should've caught it.

I agree, it would've been better with a tape measure or something in the shot but I just took some quick videos before setting off to work. :)

Edit: Side to side movement is around 1/4 of an inch which is a lot less than I thought it would've been.
I would call that an acceptable amount of play honestly. The shifter falling off actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise, I thought I had broken a fork or something at first(I was 15 and did not know anything about cars back then) so finding out it was a loose bolt was a pleasant surprise. You could always go to a dealer and try out the transmission on a new Cooper to see how much play they have vs yours btw.

Edit: double quoted

·
Registered
130 Posts
My M5ODR1 and the Ford Mustang’s MT-82 would like to disagree with you. Maybe it is different overseas but the only decent Ford shifter I’ve messed with was in the Focus and fiesta ST.
My Volvo was based on the Focus so was probably the same box.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That amount of play doesn’t seem out of line honestly. The gear lever popping off wasn’t that eventful, the truck was stuck in fifth gear so I had to have a friend

I would call that an acceptable amount of play honestly. The shifter falling off actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise, I thought I had broken a fork or something at first(I was 15 and did not know anything about cars back then) so finding out it was a loose bolt was a pleasant surprise. You could always go to a dealer and try out the transmission on a new Cooper to see how much play they have vs yours btw.
I agree that it seems acceptable now I've actually measured it......it just feels like more movement than there actually is. :)

Under normal circumstances I would've just dropped into the dealers and played with a couple of showroom cars but that's just not possible at the moment with the current restrictions.

Good to hear the shifter falling off was a non-event and actual turned out to be a good thing. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree that it seems acceptable now I've actually measured it......it just feels like more movement than there actually is. :)

Under normal circumstances I would've just dropped into the dealers and played with a couple of showroom cars but that's just not possible at the moment with the current restrictions.

Good to hear the shifter falling off was a non-event and actual turned out to be a good thing. :)
Thanks, it is crazy how different things are over there. car shopping is practically unchanged here in Kansas for the most part. I did not realize things were so strict overseas

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, it is crazy how different things are over there. car shopping is practically unchanged here in Kansas for the most part. I did not realize things were so strict overseas
Yep...they're reluctant to even let you into a showroom at the moment, let alone jump in the cars to have a quick waggle of the shifter. :D

Plans have been announced tonight for a phased easing of the restrictions so fingers crossed. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
My JCW (2016) and Cooper S (2014) before that both have far more play than I like :confused: But my son’s 2018 Cooper has vet little despite more miles on it - I wonder if there’s been an upgrade from Mini between those years, maybe as part of LC?

Or maybe he’s gentler on the shifting than I am...........:devilish:

Benno

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks @Benno2000...that's good to know.

Maybe there has been an upgrade at some point......glad I couldn't get into a showroom now because, if they have had a silent upgrade, testing against a newer model would've probably sent my OCD into overdrive. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks @Benno2000...that's good to know.

Maybe there has been an upgrade at some point......glad I couldn't get into a showroom now because, if they have had a silent upgrade, testing against a newer model would've probably sent my OCD into overdrive. :)
Had a quick look at RealOem.....

Mine is Oct ‘15 production date.

Benno

1 - 14 of 14 Posts