Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a "how to" on installing front brakes on 2015 F56 S..
Thanks---:)

·
Super Moderator
8,012 Posts
If it;s anything like the r 56 there are some good youtube vids but essentially undo bolt on sliding pin at bottom of calliper, swing calliper up out of the way (if not enough room take both bolts out and remove calliper completely) pull out the pads , pull out the sensor and trace back the wiring and unplug (only one side)replace witha teeny bit copper grease on the backs push the piston back-block of wood and a g clamp does it for me-garage recommended you undo the bleed nipple and let the fluid out to do this then nip it up rather than push old fluid back into the pipe (top up fluid then), pop the new pads in and redo the bolt. push the new sensor into the appropriate pad and reconnect-bit fiddly that .
Then on the r series you had to reset the pad wear sensor on the computer-not sure about our lovely f series. It is a really easy job! Have a go!

·
Registered
87 Posts
They are pretty much just like Gen 1 and Gen 2 MINIs brakes. Two bolts and the caliper is off. Had the wheels off today and did a pad inspection. You need a pretty thin 17mm combination wrench to hold the carrier pin when removing the caliper bolts. A Park Tool SCW-17 Cone Wrench works great, but I have an old Sears Economy Line (not Craftsman) 17mm combination wrench that fits. The front caliper bolts are 13mm, the rears are 14mm. The bolt that holds the rotor on the hub is a 6mm allen head. Like the older Gens, you'll need a reset tool to wind the piston back down into the caliper.

Trying to decide if I want to let the pads go until I get the brake service light, or change them earlier so I can save the $30 for the new sensor. Either way it is probably a wash dollar-wise.

·
Super Moderator
8,012 Posts
Rotors are held on by torx not allen (made that error once and rounded out the head on my motorbike) .in theory you should be able tl just undo the bottom bolt and swing the calliper up.but it may be easier to do both.

Sub guy I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU DONT SKIMP. ALWAYS REPLACE THE SENSOR as it sits in the slot in the pad and wears with the pad. Only way to avoid the wear of the sensor is change the pads VERYearly ir before the sensor makes contact with the disc and that would be very very early and that would seem a waste.

Reactions: AarnMunro

·
Registered
87 Posts
Interesting - my rotor bolts are clearly allen head. There must be more than one type...

I have never had much luck using the "one bolt" method to inspect my brakes because every car I have ever owned leaves a 3-4mm ridge along the outer edge of the rotor, where even if I did get it off, they never go back on very well. I just remove both and be done with it.

At 57K miles, I still have about 3mm before the sensors even begin to make contact, so it will be awhile. My car is a mostly highway miles car. Didn't really think about it before, but these sensors must be "fail open", where a break in the wire would not give a worn brake indication. That said, probably best to replace every once in awhile anyway due to age. Clearly, if there is any rotor wear to the sensor, it should be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
8,012 Posts
Now youve got me doubting myself. Next timemywheels are off i'll check! Bit odd to have different regions but mines a cooper. May be different? What do others have?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.