Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I鈥檝e just collected my shiny new mini one classic 2021 model (not sure if this is still f55, the numbers confuse me). Unfortunately I collected it on the wettest, cold, misty day 馃槳 when driving home as the weather changed for the worse! I went to put both lots of fog lights on, only to find it鈥檚 only got rear fogs! Why have they done this? I was so pleased with what had seemed a massive upgrade by BMW and so shocked to find it hasn鈥檛 got them. Looks like there was room to fit them. Does anyone know if they can be retrofit. It seems like the car has the switch/button but obviously nothing happens when it鈥檚 pressed.

Super Moderator
No space for them as the LCI has a slot. They are supposedly built in to the new better headlights aren't they?

Registered
My 2020 Cooper is the first car I have ever owned with front fog lights and they are rather good at filling in the dark bits immediately in front of the car and to the side. I am not sure how they would work as well in the main headlamp unit as they would be much higher off the ground. Has anyone else had any experience of this?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have used the front fog lights on my previous car. When I only had the headlights on Saturday coming back from the garage I noticed a real difference in lack of vision. I live close to Yorkshire and have sometimes travelled on the moors roads at night when the fog comes down. I don鈥檛 think I would be as comfortable doing that in this new car

Registered
I drive around 13,000 miles in a year and I genuinely can't remember the last time I had to use fog lights i.e when visibility was reduced to less than 100 metres. Maybe I've just been lucky and avoided the conditions where they are needed?
So, based solely on my personal experience, I wonder whether they still serve a purpose anyhow and I don't miss having them.,
I also doubt, now that most cars have daytime running lights, that there's still a demand for them, by poseurs, as a 'look at my car' accessory! I'd happily vote for the removal of rear fogs if it meant I didn't have to follow some numpty for miles and being dazzled just because there was a drop of rain on their windscreen 3 days ago.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know the sort of person you mean! When you are up in the moors and you can鈥檛 see your bonnet, I鈥檝e been glad of fog lights. I can鈥檛 understand why they would remove something from a car, seems a backward step and a bit odd. Maybe the car designer lives in a town or city with street lighting, so didn鈥檛 think anyone needed them anymore!

Registered
There is a good reason that fog lights are in the lower end of the bumper and the reason is the much lower beam angle. This lwide ow-angle beam minimizes the glare from rain, fog and gives you an enhanced "anaglyph" image of the road. LCI led fog lights also produces a really good amount of near-end light which fills the gap between car and mail light beam. It is disappointing that this is not an option anymore on LCI2. (cost-cutting?)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts