Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 MC hardtop, US version, in Texas. Front license plates are required. Have only had the car for three days, so it will be two weeks or so before the plates come in.

Looking at the front, it looks as if one option will be to drill into the front bumper to mount the plate.

I have seen another option that calls for removing the plastic cover for the tow point and threading in an adapter there....(platypus is one brand, $80 or so)

For those who have cars where this is required, what did you do?

And for devices like the platypus, are there other options/brands?

Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
2015 MC hardtop, US version, in Texas. Front license plates are required. Have only had the car for three days, so it will be two weeks or so before the plates come in.

Looking at the front, it looks as if one option will be to drill into the front bumper to mount the plate.

I have seen another option that calls for removing the plastic cover for the tow point and threading in an adapter there....(platypus is one brand, $80 or so)

For those who have cars where this is required, what did you do?

And for devices like the platypus, are there other options/brands?

Bob

Mine 2015 hard top S had a license plate holder ready installed by dealer when I took a delivery. I don't know it is an option. Do everyone in US version have it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine does not have anything installed yet. There is some sort of bracket and attachment hardware, loose, in the boot, and the dealer said that when the plates come in they will install it.

Bob

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
My dealer (US) gave me an ugly black plastic adapter for the plate. I'm in AZ so I don't need it, fortunately.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Many dealers will keep the plastic mount floating around in the boot and let you choose whether you want it installed or not when you get your plates, some will pre-install them before delivery. If you don't want holes drilled into your bumper, make sure and ask your dealer what they do. It will really depend on the dealer and what your state's specific law are surrounding the front plate.

When I ordered my Countryman, I specifically told them not to install the front mount, even though front plates are required in my state. I originally used the Platypus, but didn't like the way it looked (I like my front nice and clean :) ). Now, I don't have any front plate at all and my front mount is still in my boot. Haven't gotten in trouble for it yet, after 4 years... ;)

Reactions: uke and MINIgirl

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just got the license plates installed by dealer over the holidays (have had the car less than 2 months). They used the black plastic thing and drilled it into the front.

I would have preferred not to have the license plate put on in the front, but it is required here in CA.

They asked me if I wanted to wait until I got pulled over before having the front license plate installed and I didn't want to do that so told them to go ahead and do it. The end result does not look bad at all.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thankfully my dealer did not install the front plate holder for me, so I don't have screw holes in my bumper. They made me sign something saying I was leaving without a front license plate, but no big deal. I plan on getting one from US Millworks and installing it in the two hook spot.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
In NJ we also require a front plate, I advised my dealer not to drill any holes. I have a platypus since June but have yet to install it.. Knock on wood

·
Registered
95 Posts
Havent gotten plates yet, but I have ordered a tow hole plate holder from Amazon for $38 USD (iJDMTOY brand).
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VQTLPMG[/ame]
No holes in my trim please!

·
Registered
52 Posts
In NJ we also require a front plate, I advised my dealer not to drill any holes. I have a platypus since June but have yet to install it.. Knock on wood
I live in California, where a front plate is required, but I've never used one in 7 years on the 2 Minis I've owned and never been stopped. It's not a problem in my local area, but I've been advised by my dealer to never drive in San Francisco, where they will stop and fine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Havent gotten plates yet, but I have ordered a tow hole plate holder from Amazon for $38 USD (iJDMTOY brand).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VQTLPMG
No holes in my trim please!
Well rats, apparently the tow bolt hole is larger on a 2015. Anyone want the one I have for their 2014 or less? It is pretty quality, I am sad it does not fit!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Anyone ever tried zip/flex ties to the lower grill? I want a decorative UK plate for my US mini for a rock band tribute but don't like the off center attachment and don't want to drill holes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm in MA and front plates are also required, however my MINI came with this gray license plate block thing pre-installed into the bumper. All I had to do was screw my plate into the gray holder...
This is exactly what I'm looking for. Could you please share the details of license plate frame/holder?

·
Registered
759 Posts
The front plate mount comes with the car. If it's not in the boot somewhere they may have forgotten it, go ask for one they should have one for you.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I bought from this place: http://usmillworks.com/mini.html

The design let me mount the plate at the position I wanted, in relation to the tow hook adapter.
This is the best quality mount I have found. It's more expensive than some, but it's the quality you're paying for. The backing plate is milled aluminum, not just a stamped part. Much sturdier. They also offer a Quick Release option that I ordered for my F56. I had one of these on my R56 for years and never had a complaint, so it was a no-brainer when I needed a new one for the F56.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Best to just move to a State that doesn't require a front plate! (or leave the dumb thing off) :D.....it's an old way of doing things anyway (carryover from Model T days!). It makes absolutely no sense having a front plate on a car unless radar guns can focus in on a car with a plate better! >:D Bug catchers and aero-destroyers is all they are! The Euro plates actually look the part on a MINI if you must run a plate, but the USA plates are just plain ugly wherever placed on the front, regardless of the colors/artwork even (which is a whole other discussion).

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
This is the best quality mount I have found. It's more expensive than some, but it's the quality you're paying for. The backing plate is milled aluminum, not just a stamped part. Much sturdier. They also offer a Quick Release option that I ordered for my F56. I had one of these on my R56 for years and never had a complaint, so it was a no-brainer when I needed a new one for the F56.
Seconded on the Millworks mount. I installed one for a buddy on his F56 a while ago and it's a lot more flexible in how it's mounted than the Platypus.

Reactions: deblue
1 - 20 of 22 Posts