Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone driving the 1.5l Cooper in Australia checked their fuel economy.

I've used 98 RON in the last 3 tanks and haven't been able to get below 7l/100km, with 3500km now on the odometer, with approximately a 50/50 split of city and highway driving. I've driven with a mix of green, normal and sport modes and in both auto and manual modes. Getting into it in sport and manual where appropriate and 95 kph on cruise on the M1 from Brisbane to the Gold Coast

It seems to run on an oily rag on the motorways then drinks fuel like a yobba drinks beer at an Ashes Test, around town.

What fuel are you using and what has been the experience of other Australian owners?

Nidge.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Twadds, quick update, after nearly a year and 15000km's I can say the fuel economy is like Jekyll and Hyde. Around town, if see 7l/100km I think it's Christmas average is most probably closer to 9l/100km. I will be fair to BMW and admit to driving it mostly in manual and in sports mode and I am a big user of engine braking. I love the noise the engine makes skipping a gear when down shifting.

On the highway it's a different story. We have done two road trips, Brisbane-Canberra return and Brisbane-Airlee Beach return. Averaged, 5.2 and 5.4l/100km's respectively. On the Airlee Beach trip, managed to drive 835km and still had 3 litres left in the 40 litre tank. If I drove conservatively and in green mode I believe I would see 6l/100km or less around town, sort of defeats the purpose of buying a sports oriented car. If you are chasing excellent fuel economy buy a Prius or Volt, Minis are too much fun to make fuel a major concern.

Nidge,

· Registered
100 Posts
Thanks Nidge,

Yeah I'm not overly fussed about running a green car. I'd be happy with 8l/100km around town though. Much better than my v6 commodore. Having said that I did have a LPG tank on that in addition to the petrol.

· Registered
8 Posts
I think I get around 8L around town; 5000km on the odometer and running 98RON fuel in Auto; I don't have any green or sport modes on my car.

Due to how difficult it is to reset the fuel economy meter, I often forget to do it at each refill, only resetting the trip meter.

· Registered
407 Posts
Twadds, quick update, after nearly a year and 15000km's I can say the fuel economy is like Jekyll and Hyde. Around town, if see 7l/100km I think it's Christmas average is most probably closer to 9l/100km. I will be fair to BMW and admit to driving it mostly in manual and in sports mode and I am a big user of engine braking. I love the noise the engine makes skipping a gear when down shifting.

On the highway it's a different story. We have done two road trips, Brisbane-Canberra return and Brisbane-Airlee Beach return. Averaged, 5.2 and 5.4l/100km's respectively. On the Airlee Beach trip, managed to drive 835km and still had 3 litres left in the 40 litre tank. If I drove conservatively and in green mode I believe I would see 6l/100km or less around town, sort of defeats the purpose of buying a sports oriented car. If you are chasing excellent fuel economy buy a Prius or Volt, Minis are too much fun to make fuel a major concern.

Nidge,

I consistently get around 6.5 5.7l/100km (and I do partake in spirited and regular driving)

But if you can save a little gas, which means you save a little money, you can afford more beer, vegemite, and food!

Man I love me some vegemite!

· Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
I don't prefer the bi-product of beer all that much, prefer the beer more so.

As for economy, after 3000km, I'm averaging about 6.1 from the JCW. this is a mix of Green,Mid and Sport, I travel about 90km each day mostly with speeds of 80km/h or more. Usually green mode mostly on the way to work and sport/mid on the way home.
Coming from a very fast motorbike, i'm not just after high speed driving but definitely go looking for it every now and then.

· Registered
407 Posts
Vegemite!
I was many times in Sydney and Melbourne (Victoria, the place to be)...but really, I cannot try to taste that...that...that... "delicatessen".
Expecially during breakfast!
:D
It is definitely an acquired taste! I love the taste of the yeast at the bottom of a glass of beer. It's so unique it just is hard to describe. The vegemite is definitely best on toast with butter.

But again it's an acquired taste. It's always funny to see everyone else's reaction to it. >:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.