Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just done 200 miles in my car already but have only averaged 43mpg, despite trying my hardest. I know the 'claimed' average of 61.4mpg is unrealistic but in my 10 year old VW Polo 1.2, I manage at least 50mpg all the time.

Not really that fussed because I always have a smile on my face when I'm driving my Mini!

Does the economy get better after a while, appreciate I have only done 200 miles so far?

·
Super Moderator
7,891 Posts
I have just done 200 miles in my car already but have only averaged 43mpg, despite trying my hardest. I know the 'claimed' average of 61.4mpg is unrealistic but in my 10 year old VW Polo 1.2, I manage at least 50mpg all the time.

Not really that fussed because I always have a smile on my face when I'm driving my Mini!

Does the economy get better after a while, appreciate I have only done 200 miles so far?
Generally consensus seems to be that it does raise by 1or two mpg.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm ~1800 miles into ownership now, and I'm averaging a solid 38mpg in my MCS.

I've stopped making much effort to drive economically to be honest, I mean I don't go speeding around everywhere, but on my daily commute I don't dawdle on the motorway, unless the traffic / weather dictates, and as soon as I hit the B-roads on the way home it's all go.

I found that if I spent too much time worrying about MPG, I don't enjoy the car as much. In my old diesel cars I'd have the MPG readout on the screen and try to get it as high as possible, but those cars weren't fun. To me, the Mini is all about smiles per gallon, not miles.

The reduced economy over my previous cars is more than made up for by sheer driving fun, and as a petrolhead that's what matters most :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've just gone past the 1200 miles mark in my MCS and when I went to fill it it up with petrol this afternoon the onboard computer said I'd averaged 47.5 mpg for the last tank. That's about 4 to 5 mpg better than I was averaging in my 2004 Cooper over the same journeys.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies! I will see if the figures improve over time. Just thought things had improved since my VW Polo was built, 10 years ago.

·
Registered
890 Posts
My petrol Cooper has averaged 47 UK MPG over the last mainly urban 3500 miles according to the on board computer. My Scangauge makes it more like 45, which is more accurate as I calibrated it carefully.

I'm happy with those figures.

The colder weather hurts the mpg. I have noticed the engine takes a long time to warm up fully, and loses heat quickly when switched off, so expect much better figures when Winter is over.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Currently getting around 35mpg from my MCS, but thats doing mostly short urban trips to work with a heavy foot, need to give it some longer runs to really work it out!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
my MCS since new (4050 miles) is sitting at 40.3mpg average....I just leave one of the trips ticking away so see how it goes. Tank averages have been between 36-42 depending on who's been driving it!

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Ok, so I understand our gallons are different here in the US. But, I still think after my first two tanks I'm getting less. I've seen 30 mpg twice now (mostly city driving). Are there other reasons to lose two or three gallons in the US?

I was hoping for 32/33 mpg.

Anyway, it's the most fun I've had burning through (a really small?) tank of gas! :)

JP

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Super Moderator
7,891 Posts
And that may be the answer, fun= inversely proportional to mpg!

Reactions: quiller

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not impressed so far

Just completed 1400 miles in my petrol Cooper and it's averaging just 41 mpg. It travels 10 miles on motorway max speed 60mph in green mode and another 2 miles in town before being parked up for the day, same journey miles on the way home. The car it replaced was a VW Up which averaged 57mpg for the same distance.

Manufacturers figures are widely optimistic for both Mini and VW but still based on the above not impressed at all.:crying:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just completed 1400 miles in my petrol Cooper and it's averaging just 41 mpg. It travels 10 miles on motorway max speed 60mph in green mode and another 2 miles in town before being parked up for the day, same journey miles on the way home. The car it replaced was a VW Up which averaged 57mpg for the same distance.

Manufacturers figures are widely optimistic for both Mini and VW but still based on the above not impressed at all.:crying:
I've found myself in a similar situation. My 10 year old VW Polo does at least 50mpg without me even trying.

Oh well, at least I have a smile on my face when I'm in my Mini! :D

·
Registered
56 Posts

Even though I have less than 1000KM so far on my MCS, I haven't been getting great mileage.

I have been having fun though :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Also remember that new engines will use more fuel until you've run them for a while. My Skoda Superb I had earlier kept getting better economy as the miles piled up, even after 30 000miles

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 2008 (non-S) that gets 41 mpg with average speed 27.5 mph. Really want to trade it in for a 2015 (non-S) but I am worried that the mileage won't be nearly as good, and don't understand why the 2008 gets 40+ mpg; most of my driving is rural/suburban but not highway. Any comments welcomed, really want the new MINI, but not if the fuel economy is not as good.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts