Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the F56/F55 minis, when the "Fuel Reserve" message pops up (when on the last bar of the fuel gauge) should there also be an orange light on the dash display?

I was sure there used to be, my car went in and had a software update recently and since then I've not seen the yellow light on the dash which I was positive used to be there!

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
That only appears after some time driving; once you are on the very last brick on the guage, you eventually get a fuel reserve warning on the speedo digital display area but it is some time after-off top of my head about 30-40 miles left range!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
It comes on around 10 miles of range, it's annoying cause you constantly have to press the BC button to get rid of it... I KNOW I NEED TO FILL UP, I KNOW MY CARS LIMITS... 18 miles on "---" >:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, I guess the light just hadn't come on yet - just thought it strange as I was sure I have seen it on before. I don't normally run the fuel down so low so msybe I've not really noticed!
Have now filled up but will take more note next time...

·
Registered
495 Posts
why would you wait until you get a warning light that you are almost out of petro ?
it is NOT good for the car by running the petro this low.

http://www.clark.com/low-gas-tank-can-be-costly

Why you should keep your tank no less than 1/4 full

There are several reasons you shouldn't drive around on empty -- or close to empty.
First, the fuel guage isn't always accurate. In fact, how precise your car's gauge is relies on a variety of factors, including your driving style and your car's fuel economy. According to experts, you should consider it more as an estimate -- rather than an exact measurement -- of how far you'll make it before running out of gas.

Plus, allowing the level of gas in the tank to run low can damage your car.

According to Consumer Reports, the gas in your car "acts like a coolant for the electric fuel-pump motor, so when you run very low, this allows the pump to suck in air, which creates heat and can cause the fuel pump to wear prematurely and potentially fail."

And the repair could cost a couple hundred dollars -- more than what it would have cost you to fill up the tank. Also, "if there is dirt in the fuel tank, it could lead to blocking the fuel filter" -- leading to another expensive repair.

In addition to potentially costly repairs to your car, driving on a low tank can be dangerous. If the car suddenly stops running, you could be stranded in a deserted area, or in the middle of a busy highway. And with many cars, the airbags don't deploy if the car is turned off, putting you, and any passengers, in a more dangerous situation.

Here are some tips to avoid running out of gas:

• Keep your gas tank no less than ¼ full.
  • Fill up before heading out on a long trip or to work as you could get stuck in traffic and have a longer ride than intended.
  • Don’t rely on your car to tell you how many miles are left, as those range numbers can be deceiving and run down quickly, depending on how you drive.
  • We all want to save money at the pump, but instead of driving miles away to the gas station, use online tools or even smartphone apps to find the cheapest gas near your house.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.