Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been having an issue while fueling my 2015 MINI Cooper S, where while fueling, the pump clicks off as if the tank were full even though it's nowhere near. So, I took my MINI into the dealership, where they examined it and told me that there is a service bulletin relating to this. The remedy is to completely replace the fuel tank with a newly designed one, however they're currently back ordered.

I'm wondering has anyone else had this issue, or heard of this service bulletin?

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I've not seen a bulletin, but I have noticed that the pump will click full when the tank will hold one to two gallons more. I just keep pumping 'til it clicks again. Not the first vehicle I've had that does this.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My trick is to put the nozzle in upside down.
Ditto.

My theory is that the breather hose from the tank is poorly situated so the air coming out of the tank (displaced by the fuel going in) triggers the auto-off in the pump nozzle. Twisting the nozzle to anything but down fixes the problem and 180 degrees is an easy alternative. Those of us old farts who have arthritis arriving also find it less effort to hold the nozzle trigger down this way, too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips, as it's pretty annoying taking 15 minutes or longer to fill the tank. As mines bad enough I barely get a tenth of a gallon in at a time before it'd click off. My service advisor told me that MINI just updated this bulletin with the fix being that new fuel tank, so maybe that's why more haven't heard about it yet.

·
Registered
199 Posts
What build dates are these problem tanks? My June 2015 build has no such problems.

Of course, it's worth mentioning that some cars you can't simply jam the nozzle into the filler tube as far as possible, you have to be more measured, and many cars can't have the refuelling nozzle on full-blast either.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
How do you know your tank isn't full? The lights on the instrument pod don't light up all the way to the top?

I haven't had any issues that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi,

I've been having an issue while fueling my 2015 MINI Cooper S, where while fueling, the pump clicks off as if the tank were full even though it's nowhere near. So, I took my MINI into the dealership, where they examined it and told me that there is a service bulletin relating to this. The remedy is to completely replace the fuel tank with a newly designed one, however they're currently back ordered.

I'm wondering has anyone else had this issue, or heard of this service bulletin?

Yep I've had this issue, I know what you mean about it seemingly clicking off every 5 seconds. I found it tends to click off when I fully depress the nozzle all the way, and if I press it about half way it's fine. But obviously takes longer to fill up (also not sure if doing this means that it doesn't click off when it's actually full).

Will try the nozzle upside down suggestion. Btw do you guys mean that the nozzle is completely 180 degrees upside down when filling?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ah and also I noticed the other day when it clicked off I pulled the nozzle out and could see the petrol in the filler. Thought I'd over filled it but it then went down into the tank.

Could maybe be that the fuel is going into the mini too quickly and the sensors are reading that it's full when it just needs a moment to go down into the actual tank? Bit of a design flaw if that's the case.

As a side note a friend of mine bought a new Toyota recently and the same problem happened to him.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How do you know your tank isn't full? The lights on the instrument pod don't light up all the way to the top?

I haven't had any issues that I'm aware of.
I just refueled yesterday as I only had a quarter tank left, and I could only get it to half a tank in 10 minutes. So, no it's not full.

I've tried the nozzle in at different depths, and all have the same issue. I can't actually even depress the handle halfway, and it still clicks off. I have issues at even a quarter or less handle depression. I also tried the nozzle at different angles and it didn't help.

My MINI is a Dec. 2014 build for those interested.

This is just a seriously annoying problem that I hope this new fuel tank fixes.

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
Some pump nozzles are too sensitive; turning them upside down usually cures this but if the tank neck is restrictive or the air vent isnt sufficient you are never going to fill it quickly which is areal pain. My cooper is absolutely fine, but sounds like the bigger tank of the s is very different!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I just refueled yesterday as I only had a quarter tank left, and I could only get it to half a tank in 10 minutes. So, no it's not full.

I've tried the nozzle in at different depths, and all have the same issue. I can't actually even depress the handle halfway, and it still clicks off. I have issues at even a quarter or less handle depression. I also tried the nozzle at different angles and it didn't help.

My MINI is a Dec. 2014 build for those interested.

This is just a seriously annoying problem that I hope this new fuel tank fixes.
Ok, thanks....that is definitely not working right then....mine must be fine...June '15 build date. I always put gas into my MINI slowly anyway becasue I don't want to spill any on the paint...slow is just fine with me...but if it clicked off constantly even then that would be annoying!

Wouldn't it be nice if we could get access to all the technical bulletins so owners could keep track of such issues?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just an update, I filled up today at a Shell garage. They seem to have thinner nozzles (probably just me imagining). I clicked after a few seconds again, but I twisted it about 45 degrees towards me. Was a bit easier to hold anyway, but didn't click off at all at full squeeze until it was actually full. So must be a problem with the sensor when the fuel pump is in at certain angles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Going through the same thing. Brand new 2015 MCS, check engine light @ 200 miles, dealer replaces sensor in fuel system. 600 Miles, check engine light back on, goes back to dealer. Talking to them about the car, I also asked them about fueling, because the last time (only time) I put fuel in it, it was impossible to fill it up, pump clicked off constantly without filling tank.

Long story short, the dealer is now replacing fuel tank under a service bulletin for a defective fuel tank, great first week.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Never had that issue with the JCW, and that gets filled up from reserve on a regular basis. In fact I only ever fill it once the light comes on. Agreed it does click the pump off once or twice but just wait a second or so and start again, but almost every car I've ever had has been similar.

I actually picked up a diesel nossle by mistake the other day, glad that it didn't fit in the filler or I could have been rather embarrased!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mine has been fine since I first mentioned it on here. I tend to have the nozzle horizontal and haven't had any clicking issues for ages. As I mentioned before, when it did have the clicking issue, when I pulled the nozzle out there was always a bit of fuel near the top of the filling reservoir, as if it was going in too quick and had overflowed slightly. This may have been the case and the nozzle then clicked off as it thought the tank was full? Tended to have the problem more at Tesco pumps, but have been filling up at shell for the past few months without any problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have experienced plenty of oversensitive fuel pumps, this was not what was going on, no matter how slow I tried to fill the car, the pump clicked off. After 15-20 clicks off, I gave up with only 3/4 of a tank full. The gas tank is being replaced as defective under this service bulletin, there is something wrong with the vent design that was causing this problem, and also causing the check engine light to come on. At least this is all what the dealer is telling me, I really have no idea what to think at this point. When I do finally get the car back, I will loose my mind if the check engine light comes back on again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Going through the same thing. Brand new 2015 MCS, check engine light @ 200 miles, dealer replaces sensor in fuel system. 600 Miles, check engine light back on, goes back to dealer. Talking to them about the car, I also asked them about fueling, because the last time (only time) I put fuel in it, it was impossible to fill it up, pump clicked off constantly without filling tank.

Long story short, the dealer is now replacing fuel tank under a service bulletin for a defective fuel tank, great first week.
Oh I hope that doesn't happen to me. I'd be mighty disappointed!
(2015 MCS being loaded onto car carrier at Southhampton TODAY!
Sorry bit excited )

·
Registered
136 Posts
Oh I hope that doesn't happen to me. I'd be mighty disappointed!
(2015 MCS being loaded onto car carrier at Southhampton TODAY!
Sorry bit excited )
ditto. here.

and mine (EB F55) is loaded onto a carrier today as well but will sail in a different direction. Ours could have been assembled back to back :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.