Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered through another thread while talking with forum user OliverFrance that if you know your VIN, you can find out how many cars are ahead of you in line to be built! :)

All you need to do is take the last 7 digits of your VIN and subtract one, ignoring the first two characters and look up the details of that VIN on bimmer.work. If the car has not finished production yet, the "Production Date" field will be 0001-01-01. If it has finished production, the "Production Date" field will be the actual date the car was built. If you keep repeating this process until you find a car that was built, you know how many cars area head of you in line.

For example if your VIN is 2B63809 you would take 63809 and subtract 1 to get 63808 and enter 2B63808 into the bimmer.work VIN decoder and keep repeating until you find the last car built.

I went one step ahead of this and counted how many cars were built each day going back about 10 days and did a linear regression to try to predict at the average rate of production, when should my car be ready. While Mini gives me an estimated completion date of 6/1, my method gives me 6/28. While it obviously isn't perfect, it's pretty fun to know how many cars are being finished each day of each style of Mini and it's a fun way to pass the time (for me at last). :)

One caveat - it seems that this method gives me only the type of car that I ordered. For example, I ordered an F55 with a manual gearbox so all of the cars I get my subtracting digits are F55 manuals. So right now I know that there are 15 F55 manuals in line to be built ahead of my car, but I don't know how many other cars might be queued up.

Anyways, I thought this was pretty cool. Here's what I put together and I'll continue to update it until my car is produced.

https://www.icloud.com/numbers/000RnPsgxwfzwJ6R5cPI3yQLg#Mini_Cooper_F55_Tracker

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some questions I still have: Does Bimmer.Work update once per day or periodically throughout the day?

How many other types of Minis are being completed each day? Since I don't know what a F56 VIN looks like I can't look it up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.