Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My JCW is due end of October and I know I will get the hard sell on all sorts of insurance cover in the next few weeks.

I always refuse the tyre, wheel, coating, etc but usually take the Gap insurance due to worry over some idiot writing my pride and joy off whilst I owe money on it.

Last time gap insurance cost me £500 from my dealer and afterwards on this site I read some of your guys followed alternative routes at considerable price reductions.

Don't want to overpay again so any advice on where to look or which companies will give me good cover for a reasionable price?

Best wishes

·
Registered
844 Posts
I've never had it but remember that your insurance should replace a car written of in the first year.

Some insurance companies only give a basic model in return I hear.

I have read in places that gap can be bought for about £200, so well worth shopping around.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Just push back hard on the dealer.

Just be careful, there are 2 types of Gap insurance, and one is full invoice value, the other is new for old. The latter means just that, the prices may have gone up, but you get an identical replacement.

Insurance companies are NOT bound to replace you with a new car in the first 12 months. The moment you take a car out of the showroom it loses about 20% of its value, gap insurance makes up the difference.

You can shop online for providers of Gap insurance, do a Google....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm a big fan of gap insurance... thinking being that if I'm going to write off the car it's going to be a proper accident and the insurance company will only pay for the repair costs rather than meeting the actual value of the car on its depreciation curve at that particular point in the lease

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi,
My JCW is due end of October and I know I will get the hard sell on all sorts of insurance cover in the next few weeks.

I always refuse the tyre, wheel, coating, etc but usually take the Gap insurance due to worry over some idiot writing my pride and joy off whilst I owe money on it.

Last time gap insurance cost me £500 from my dealer and afterwards on this site I read some of your guys followed alternative routes at considerable price reductions.

Don't want to overpay again so any advice on where to look or which companies will give me good cover for a reasionable price?

Best wishes
Hi matey, have a look online for a company called ALA. I got my gap insurance from them both with my previous Mini and my present one. If in doubt give them a call, I found them really helpful and at a very good price compared to the dealer. No I don't work for them in case you are wondering;)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Interesting that insurance companies will not automatically give you a new car within 12 months. I thought that this was a standard part of their cover?

Is it worth (or perhaps it makes even more sense) getting gap if your car is on a pcp deal?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Another question.

At what point does gap insurance pay out? Is it only after your accident insurance company says your car is a write off? That means if it is badly damaged but your insurance company says it's fixable it won't pay?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I have Gap Insurance on all our cars. My 1st Abarth was hit with 4k on the clock and the insurance company totaled it out and paid for it. Gap is the best way to get a new car and start fresh.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I was £249 from ALA for Vehicle Replacement Plus, to cover four years. I have a Cooper S ....maybe JCW might be a bit more expensive?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Mini insurance provide gap cover for the first year
Is it for return to invoice or 'book' price?
Always best to check these things.

Vehicle Replacement Plus - that I took - covers the identical car again so should it be written off in 3 years time I get the exact spec again regardless of how much the price has gone up. Some might only give you what you initially paid - not enough to get the exact same car again.....

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi everyone,
I never thought that Gap insurance had so many variables.
I simply thought it covered the shortfall between the cars value at time of write against what outstanding finance was owed.

Lots to think about, it would also appear dealers are onto a nice little earner here."....

Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
If you are buying new, Gap is a necessity unless you're rolling in money. I always take gap on my cars after my Focus ST was written off. Back to invoice is what I have this time round.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Another question.

At what point does gap insurance pay out? Is it only after your accident insurance company says your car is a write off? That means if it is badly damaged but your insurance company says it's fixable it won't pay?
I took the Mini gap insurance (i know >:D). When I was asking in the dealership about it, they said to ring the gap insurance when you have an accident, and then they'll sort out the claim for you. Apparently it's easier that way?

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
Agreed; gap ins only pays out for a write off as far as i can see and the newer the car the less likely to be a write off! They seem to invent insurance for everything these days! Its the safe but not necessarily the cost effective way! as they say, some you win........................

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.