Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

just got my car back from a couple of days at the dealers, 1.5 petrol cooper 14 plate with 23k.

I had it serviced just after Christmas and mentioned this noise I'm getting, which I would describe as a low pitched whining, most noticeable in the lower gears and when you're cruising through town ie under no load. It's loud enough that I hear that, and not the engine in these conditions.

At that time they said there was nothing wrong but to keep an eye on it, so I put it back in at the weekend.

This time I took a techy out for a drive, and we replicated the noise, and he said Mini know about it, and mentioned a service bulletin although I forgot to get the details. We then took a used car from the lot (13k) and it made the same noise, although not as loud.

Outcome "they all do it..."

So, how many of you have this issue?

My car definitely didn't do it when it was new, the cars I test drove didn't do it otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. I accepted his "they all do it" but the more I think about it the less happy I am about that, it's no excuse.

Not a happy bunny:(

· Registered
1,654 Posts
Oh no :(
I'm just getting so exasperated with it all :( ...you know that, don't ya!
I have a meeting with the 'high heedyin" tomorrow afternoon to discuss my options regards "getting out of the car". I really don't know what to do.
If they offer me like-for-like, I feel I can't really refuse but I have lost faith. I really like driving the MINI but.......

(excited about a JC Peugeot francise however...... I defo want a closer look at this http://www.peugeot.co.uk/showroom/208/gti-by-peugeot-sport/ ...Steve reckons the reviews say it's much improved to the GTI)

I'll keep you up-to-speed Mike and you might want to take my lead?

· Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck tomorrow.

It's difficult to know what to advise without knowing what they're going to offer. Like for like? Same spec/better spec, same payments, term? JCW for a few quid more? Could you for example go variable dampers which don't seem to be affected with the shocks issue? Whatever's on offer be sure to take some time to decide what you do.

I didn't know JC were getting Pug too, but I think I'm too old for that colour scheme and I should get a more door for my next car :)

Shame they couldn't get Ford, then we might get a Ford Store and I wouldn't have to go 100 miles to buy an RS >:D

· Registered
1,081 Posts
Not good to hear Mike and the stance it's a characteristic of the car for me I have heard before on our R56 S that we had loads of problems with when new 17 to be precise , clutches drive shafts engine top end , had regional top engineer try to tell me the screech from the clutch was how I was driving complete BS
I was told other did the same that does not mean it should be like that but they anint found a fix for it yet so told to fog people off, its just the motor industry at it best, good luck with the RS know that does sound fantastic tell me about it?

Donna been a few on here got upgrade to JCW because of the issues, you would love the JCW if you have the will and belief it will be a good one, be very firm with your demands within reason, I had a right battle with the R56 S and in the end I dropped in into JC's left them the keys and gave them a list and said I don't want the car back till it is fit for purpose.
1h 30 min later as me dropping the car off was not agreed I got a call from the BMW service manager that I knew apologising and saying they checked the car and had found more than was on my list and they sent out a 1 series on transporter for me full of fuel for two weeks till all work done and extended the warranty for a year and filled the tank on mini, never had an issue after that or any corporate BS from them

· Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jump ship and go 'Arnold' instead!

Arnold haven't got Ford Store status, so they won't get to sell them. Macrae and Dick in Inverness is the preferred option, and I believe you can order through Elgin, but my money tree isn't bearing any fruit yet...

Cheers Derek, I'd like to see if anybody else is getting the same before I go back. I should have taken a brand new one out too, but had to get back to work... speaking of which ;)

· Registered
1,654 Posts
Thanks for the words of encouragement Derek. I just don't know if I have faith in the MINI anymore. If they were to offer a JCW for the kinda money I'm paying I would be tempted (but that's unlikely..... would you let me buy a white silver one????!!!) I fancy WS as a replacement anyway. Dearly love VO but (jinxed???).....

We'll see what is offered tomorrow. Like you said with your R56, I just want everything fixed and a further year warranty. But it's unfair to expect the dealer to have a crystal ball. I'm 99% convinced I'll be back next winter complaining about shocks, again.

Tired of the whole thing. I just want to enjoy my car.

Reactions: derekh929

· Registered
1,654 Posts
Arnold haven't got Ford Store status, so they won't get to sell them. Macrae and Dick in Inverness is the preferred option, and I believe you can order through Elgin, but my money tree isn't bearing any fruit yet...

Cheers Derek, I'd like to see if anybody else is getting the same before I go back. I should have taken a brand new one out too, but had to get back to work... speaking of which ;)

I don't understand ... there's AC Ford in Aberdeen and Peterhead?

· Registered
1,081 Posts
Thanks for the words of encouragement Derek. I just don't know if I have faith in the MINI anymore. If they were to offer a JCW for the kinda money I'm paying I would be tempted (but that's unlikely..... would you let me buy a white silver one????!!!) I fancy WS as a replacement anyway. Dearly love VO but (jinxed???).....

We'll see what is offered tomorrow. Like you said with your R56, I just want everything fixed and a further year warranty. But it's unfair to expect the dealer to have a crystal ball. I'm 99% convinced I'll be back next winter complaining about shocks, again.

Tired of the whole thing. I just want to enjoy my car.

Yes another WS JCW up our way not an issue at all just avoid the Broch to save steeling our thunder and thinking they are common LOL

The thing is we still had that niggling feeling that we had more problems with the F56 that's why this time when we went back to mini we were not so early adopting the new model fingers burned once etc.
The thing is BMW can get it right with new models I have had 3 all minor issues from new and all very early in production cycles.
I know if it was me I would want them to atleast give you the option at good price to take it back or give similar monthly deal on a JCW IMHO its the least they can do, just don't mention my name LOL as may not be favourite person as got our from Tayside Mini as had initial problems in Aberdeen but it seems John Duncan has turned the place around by what I hear

· Registered
1,654 Posts
It's John I'm dealing with and he does seem very nice and eager to sort something out. But he's paid to be #cynic

When my first set of shocks went, I thought the same as you, "a niggle", "faulty component", but to have them fail again exactly a year later? Eight times now the car's been in the dealer, totalling 21 days and counting. Still door/paintwork unresolved.

Just been on configurator and there's already a £1100+ dealer contribution at the minute on the JCW. IF I could stump up £3000 (minimum it seems), the equivalent spec'd JCW would cost the same as my MCS at the minute. But that's too much for me. :( But I could save £500 by having chilli red instead....

Would my 17" Tentacle winter wheels/tyres fit though? Even though I went for 18"s as my spec? There is a 17" option. Is the disc space sufficient? I'd hate to waste these wheels!!

Sorry Mike, I've totally hijacked your thread ........

· Registered
1,654 Posts
there is indeed, but for some reason they haven't got this special Ford Store status - investment needed/separate area in showroom/ability to be arsed, so they can't sell them. Bring back Harpers and Cordiners :D

Christ min you're showing your age!!!

· Registered
1,081 Posts
there is indeed, but for some reason they haven't got this special Ford Store status - investment needed/separate area in showroom/ability to be arsed, so they can't sell them. Bring back Harpers and Cordiners :D

Bring back Harpers and Cordiners :D[/QUOTE]
You must be getting on a bit Harpers & cordiners in peterhead >:D

· Registered
1,654 Posts
Hijacked my thread..... commenting on my age...... and deserting VO in favour of WS..... that's it, you're dead to me:D

I got my first model T from Harpers when they were on Holburn St.;)

yeah but you'd only end up missing me ... like Harpers and Cordiners!! ha ha

· Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
Std 18's wont fit the JCW; they have bowed the wheel right out to clear those (lovely ) MAHOOSIVE BREMBOs. Your 17's would be a def no no-sadly. there's a thread on here where someone is trying to work out what spacer might allow the 18's to fit but no idea re 17's !

· Registered
20 Posts
I had this in my R56 MSC, kinda 'harmonic' whine when cruising at low'ish revs. Was working at an independent garage at the time and asked the mechanics there to have a listen - they all said it was normal on some cars and shouldn't be anything to worry about - one of them had a similar whine on his Civic. When the car was in for servicing at Mini (TLC) I mentioned it there only to be told it was quite normal too.

I kept the car for over 5 years after that and the whine maybe got a tad louder over that time but I never had any troubles so I'm inclined to believe they were right!

My new F56 MCS which recently replaced my R56 has a similar whine only quieter... in fact if I wasn't used to hearing it in my old Mini I possibly wouldn't even notice it.

· Registered
769 Posts
Mine does this too, pretty quiet but the same scenario cruising at low'ish revs. I've had other cars in the past do this so I haven't stressed about it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.