Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a big fan of Getrag manual boxes -- that's been the only transmission manufacturer used in the BMWs and Porsches I've owned, and they've been top-notch in function and reliability. One little-known feature they've all had has been synchronized reverse. Doesn't sound like a big deal, maybe, but once you've had it, you really miss it when you drive a vehicle without it.

Which brings me to my question: does someone who already has one of these say whether the trans in the 1.5L version has synchronized reverse?

Reason I'm asking is that the owner's manual says "Come to a complete stop before shifting into reverse", which of course isn't necessary if it's synchronized.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've noticed no grinding when shifting into reverse. Even with a little forward speed. I do believe the reverse gear is synchromeshed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've noticed no grinding when shifting into reverse. Even with a little forward speed. I do believe the reverse gear is synchromeshed.
YEAH!! Thanks for testing this out!

If it's like the Getrag transmissions found in BMW and Porsche over the last 25 years, you'd be amazed how fast you can be going (either direction) and slip it smoothly into reverse. Not that I recommend it of course .......:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts