Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been configuring a 5 door cooper for a while now, just tweaking etc. I thought the cooper seemed best value against performance and economy. But boy when you start adding the chilli and media pack, paint, leather seats etc it font half add up. Close to 23k before discounts. I keep debating the media pack but I do like built in sat nav. I bet everyone goes through the same process trying to decide what you need. But it's like going round ikea before you know it you've spent a fortune.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yup. That is why I went for top of the line JCW...the specs make the Cooper S so expensive that I just felt like either Go Go Big or Go Home....the marketing dept at MINI are pretty smart...each option seems like a good deal but add them all up and you have luxury vehicle...

So I think either go standard with no options and save....

Or just go for it...

Some suggestions though - go for standard paint in apopular iconic color like Red and your resale will be easier. Customize to the hilt with fancy colours and you may enjoy a more unique ownership pride and experience but you will limit your resale. Remember that ladies like MINI more than men - so a safe color like iconic red or white or green will appeal to both sexes while aggressive colours (orange, black, thunder grey) may appeal more to men and fanciful fun colours (electric blue) will tend to appeal to ladies. Also vehicles that are S with lots of JCW trim and aftermarket modifications are less likely to get optimal resale compared to a factory model. Two cents...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Same comments apply to interior. Go fancy on interior and you limit your resale market. Go piano black classic with anthracite roof liner and it is more "Ho Hum" for you but it will appeal to more buyers when you want to buy another new factory MINI...

Decisions, decisions, decisions

FWIW - absolutely get the Storage compartment and roof rails options....both are things that you will regret not having later on.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
It makes no sense to me to spec the car in order to get the most bang when you trade it in several years down the road. Personally I never worry about it because a car can be wrecked stolen etc etc etc. I always buy a car that will fit my needs budget etc etc. I am not a gadget guy and here in NA there is no big difference between a fully loaded and a not so loaded car when you trade it in at say 80k at least that how it was with my Mercedes C Class. Most of the time you loose you shorts anyway when you buy new. If you worried about the Resale you are better off buying a last Years Model and somebody else paid for the depreciation.;)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yup. That is why I went for top of the line JCW...the specs make the Cooper S so expensive that I just felt like either Go Go Big or Go Home....the marketing dept at MINI are pretty smart...each option seems like a good deal but add them all up and you have luxury vehicle...

So I think either go standard with no options and save....

Or just go for it...

Some suggestions though - go for standard paint in apopular iconic color like Red and your resale will be easier. Customize to the hilt with fancy colours and you may enjoy a more unique ownership pride and experience but you will limit your resale. Remember that ladies like MINI more than men - so a safe color like iconic red or white or green will appeal to both sexes while aggressive colours (orange, black, thunder grey) may appeal more to men and fanciful fun colours (electric blue) will tend to appeal to ladies. Also vehicles that are S with lots of JCW trim and aftermarket modifications are less likely to get optimal resale compared to a factory model. Two cents...
So is Lapis aggressive,fanciful or a ladies colour.(color!).......I won't sleep easy until I know!!!!!
I agree though you have to go for what spec you want and can afford, if not you will always regret it. IMO you buy the car you want now, not the car you think about for resale unless you have some sort of finance package of course.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I think Lapis blue is a more fun & fanciful colour but not as far out there as VO...

I suspect it will appeal to both men & ladies but being less standard I suspect less would choose it. So high score for individuality and ownership uniqueness and pride.

Two cents...

BTW if you plan to buy the next GP or next version of the new MINI within three years then it does make sense to consider resale...so I guess it depends how long you plan to keep the car...

Again two cents...

·
Registered
457 Posts
I think Lapis blue is a more fun & fanciful colour but not as far out there as VO...

I suspect it will appeal to both men & ladies but being less standard I suspect less would choose it. So high score for individuality and ownership uniqueness and pride.

Two cents...

BTW if you plan to buy the next GP or next version of the new MINI within three years then it does make sense to consider resale...so I guess it depends how long you plan to keep the car...

Again two cents...
Cheers.......MCS I traded in was VO so it's maybe age related too:laugh:
In my case I doubt if I will be trading in...in 3 years...will probably be using the bus pass a lot more:(

·
Registered
47 Posts

Two cents...
I don't feel so bad about ordinge my Lapis F56 JCW with white roof (and sunroof) now :D

The scary thing is, the dealer here has not actually seen Lapis. All I had to work off was the sample in the showroom (which did look **** good, and the picture on the bimmer VIN decoder site has made me think it's a good choice).

I'll post pics as soon as I get her!

·
Registered
186 Posts
So funny that VO would be considered a guy color. When I ordered mine I expected to catch flack for ordering a girly car, yet all the guys who see it love it.
As to the original poster, just order what you like and can afford. I've had mine a month and don't regret any of my extras now that I'm getting enjoy them.

Annette

·
Registered
270 Posts
LOL!

Orange: Artistic, individual, complex
An orange car screams unique. ?It?s one of the most interesting colors because people who choose orange are usually very artistic, creative, original,? says Eiseman. ?And they?re very individualistically charming. There?s a certain complexity to this kind of personality as well.?

Mores details here

http://www.today.com/home/what-does-your-car-color-say-about-you-1D80229892

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Lapis blue is quite pretty imo..I even am beginning to like it over electric blue (which I've always loved).

On a JCW you can even get the JCW bonnet stripes as I recall on Lapis, but not Electric Blue (EB). For some reason MINI just will not allow the red lined JCW bonnet stripes on certain colors...VO and EB are two of them. I still would love to see a VO JCW with JCW bonnet stripes...that would "pop"! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.