Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thread title says it all. iPhone transforms the in-car setup. Spotify through Mini connected is great. Got album art the lot. Anything I want at my fingertips. Sure there is more you can do with it, but how hard can it be to make Android work like this????

·
Super Moderator
8,825 Posts
Oh no over to the dark side-i refuse to buy Apple products and am perfectly happy without connected-i never use the torque or power meter available anyway-too intent on enjoying the drive, and spotify works fine on blue tooth on my samsung! If it gets better , fine but am happy as is!

·
Registered
152 Posts
issue is bmw biased support for apple ... i guess its easier to test one device iphone than to teat thousands of different phones running differently variants of android ...

But I still don't have much use for connect since i cant stream music using mobile data, mobile internet is not cheap around here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
issue is bmw biased support for apple ... i guess its easier to test one device iphone than to teat thousands of different phones running differently variants of android ...

But I still don't have much use for connect since i cant stream music using mobile data, mobile internet is not cheap around here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, thats exactly what it is, too many versions, too many tweaks make it more expensive for BMW to support. Saying that Fiat/Chrysler have cracked it. Comes down to marketing I guess, more people who drive Minis have iPhones? Gotta go where the £££'s are I guess.

Gotta say Spotify through connected is good. Worth a £20/month iPhone SE contract for everything I want available via my steering wheel? Yeah, to me it is :). 64gb version for several hundred albums downloaded on extreme quality too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yep, thats exactly what it is, too many versions, too many tweaks make it more expensive for BMW to support. Saying that Fiat/Chrysler have cracked it. Comes down to marketing I guess, more people who drive Minis have iPhones? Gotta go where the £££'s are I guess.

Gotta say Spotify through connected is good. Worth a £20/month iPhone SE contract for everything I want available via my steering wheel? Yeah, to me it is :). 64gb version for several hundred albums downloaded on extreme quality too.
Apple Music is even better, since you can use voice search from the wheel.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did find this fairly ridiculous, I have a Galaxy S7 edge and it's totally pointless for me to even both with the app, I figured Mini/BMW most likely assume that a larger chunk of their consumers use iPhones.

I didn't mind as I just took about 3 thousand tracks off my old hard drive and USB'd them into the cars hard drive - that's a great feature.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Apple Music is even better, since you can use voice search from the wheel.
Apple music wouldnt even bluetooth sream on my galaxy s6. Thats when i first threw my toys. Moved the whole family from apple music back to spotify which did work ressonably well. They'll go nuts if I move them back again!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
As an Android user, I am also very disappointed in the crap experience of Connected compared to the iPhone version of the app.

There is plenty of money to be made supporting Android, since it has the majority of the portable market. It's unfortunately true that there are too many versions of Android out there on phones, however this is not an insurmountable problem. There are hundreds if not thousands of other apps that manage to support both iPhone and Android well.

From what I've read elsewhere on these forums, BMW is considering iPhone CarPlay for 2017 with Android Auto "coming later". Again, Android support is obviously a secondary concern, but at least they are admitting defeat with their Connected app & replacing it with a much better interface.

Reactions: dgswick

·
Registered
109 Posts
There is plenty of money to be made supporting Android
Unless you're an app developer, apparently Android users don't spent any where near the amount of money that iOS users do. If your app isn't free on Android basically it'll never get used.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Unless you're an app developer, apparently Android users don't spent any where near the amount of money that iOS users do. If your app isn't free on Android basically it'll never get used.
That's not the situation we're talking about, however. BMW does not charge for any of the Connected apps. For them, the money is in car sales from customers with mobile phones looking for a car that will interoperate with their phone. This was in response to dgswick saying BMW supports iPhones (with the free Connected app) because "Gotta go where the £££'s are I guess." I'm saying that *if* there is money to be made supporting iPhone connectivity there is *also* money to be made supporting Android, with its greater market share.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That's not the situation we're talking about, however. BMW does not charge for any of the Connected apps. For them, the money is in car sales from customers with mobile phones looking for a car that will interoperate with their phone. This was in response to dgswick saying BMW supports iPhones (with the free Connected app) because "Gotta go where the £££'s are I guess." I'm saying that *if* there is money to be made supporting iPhone connectivity there is *also* money to be made supporting Android, with its greater market share.
Yes.

Hence why I said "Unless you're an app developer".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.