Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, thats it.

Today after yet more issues with my wifes 2015 Mini Cooper, we have traded it in against a brand new Audi.

We were undecided whether to buy the Audi or the Mini 4 months ago and settled on the Mini. What a costly mistake that proved to be.

The car has spent a lot of time in the dealers getting problems sorted out.

Today we had to take it back yet again with engine issues but I decided enough is enough. We dropped the car into Mini and they gave us a Cooper S Coupe to run about in.

We decided to pop in past Audi to see if we could put a deal together and after a lot of phonecalls we agreed a deal...so we got the wifes car back from Mini and said farewell, thats the last time we will ever see them.

We have lost a bundle on the Mini but after nothing but problems, we just wanted out of it. It was our first and last Mini.....never again.

On the plus side, whilst the car was a lemon, the Dealer - Aberdeen Mini was outstanding throughout. Really a pleasure to deal with, just a shame the car was a disaster.
Also, its been fun being a member on here, lots of nice folk with worthwhile comments and a good sense of humour!

I will be looking to sell a set of brand new, unused 15" Winter alloys and tyres for the F55 or F56. I will post details tomorrow if anyones interested.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Sorry to hear your story. Enjoy the Audi.
I am a bit perplexed that you found the dealer to be excellent. Did you try to reject the car?
You seem to have accepted the loss but I would have been rejecting the car if it was a "lemon".

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
You should've followed some of the threads on here and had them take it back under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, you'd have saved yourself a **** of a lot of money. However I'm happy that you've finally got it sorted and you feel you're moving to better things.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dealer was excellent in that they went out if the way to help us in sorting the problems and giving us a courtesy car without question.

With regards to rejecting the car, it was difficult in that most of the issues were seperate and they eventually cured each one. However, we simply lost faith in the reliability and sense of quality in the car.

The fact that each trip to the dealer mean a 70 mile round journey, we just had enough of it.

We really thought that Mini had stepped up in quality since BMW took over, but for us at least, we were wrong.

As I said, first ever Mini and last for this family!

·
Registered
646 Posts
You should've followed some of the threads on here and had them take it back under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, you'd have saved yourself a **** of a lot of money. However I'm happy that you've finally got it sorted and you feel you're moving to better things.
Not everybody buys a car using consumer credit and so I don't think this won't apply to cash buyers or those with personal loans.

Always worth (if you are a cash buyer) loading your credit card in to credit (if you don't have a large enough limit) and paying for it on that to give yourself the protection Brandon mentions.

Sorry to hear you had such trouble, it's a shame when you want to love something but can't. Another duff hits the used market. I'm worried mine will let me down after all these stories!

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
Dealer was excellent in that they went out if the way to help us in sorting the problems and giving us a courtesy car without question.

With regards to rejecting the car, it was difficult in that most of the issues were seperate and they eventually cured each one. However, we simply lost faith in the reliability and sense of quality in the car.

The fact that each trip to the dealer mean a 70 mile round journey, we just had enough of it.

We really thought that Mini had stepped up in quality since BMW took over, but for us at least, we were wrong.

As I said, first ever Mini and last for this family!
You must of had a bad one, I've had 4, Wife has one as well, and only once had anything near a major issue, which was rectified under warranty and we had a JCW loaner while they sorted it. I tried an Audi once and it bored me to tears. Still the world would be a boring place if we were all the same....

·
Registered
378 Posts
Both cars owned from new.....

Audi TT engine drank oil had to be replaced at 80k, 5 years old Audi uk not interested

2005 r53 few tiny rust bubbles, 3/4 respray, all panels done apart from roof and hood, + hire car of for 2 weeks all foc

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Totally agree...

We could well have got a Friday afternoon car.

Yes, all manufacturers can sell cars that are prone to issues.

However, I drive an S3 and the build quality, design, engine, etc are all absolutely excellent. I have had the car a year and it has been a joy to own. Thats why we have gone for the A1, because the S3 has been such a good car.

We dearly wanted to love the Mini, thats why we bought it i stead of the A1 initially! But after it spending most of its first 4 months in the garage with continual niggling problems, we had enough. There were additional issues that we never even reported as they only occurred infrequently....things like the steering lock not releasing and throwing up errors.....then turn the car off/on and it releases normally....

All in all, the car gave us no confidence that it was going to be a reliable long term proposition.

Unfortunately, we paid cash for it, so the consumer credit act didnt help us. We have to give them 3 attempts to repair any issues before we go down the reject route.....when its a 70 mile round trip, it just gets to be too much hassle.

After a LOT of haggling, we got a stunning deal on the A1 - its a 1.4 tfsi SLine in nano grey. We managed to get it for less than any online broker price.
We got above trade money for the Mini, as the Audi dealer is part of the same group as the Mini dealer - Mini offered above book price as they were keen to help us out of the car due to the ongoing issues.

All in all, the deal is done, we lost a lot of money, as the Mini is so poor for depreciation. £5k in 4 months on a city car is ridiculous!
However, it is only money and having a reliable car is a bigger issue for us.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this @kugaman . A bit like you, I feel loyal to JC and feel like I have to give them the best chance to fix any wrongs (which they duly do) but I'm about to report faults number 7,8 and 9 tomorrow night. I just can't face the hassle of escalating this but I feel I should. I really enjoy my MINI too, but like you I don't think I want another. I really don't want to sound all 'doom and gloom'. As you all know, I can't praise the dealer enough, but I'm sure they're sick the sight of me. You buy a new car (and an 'executive marque' at that) and you expect to the be at the dealer probably once a year tops, for servicing etc. I feel I have my knicker elastic caught in their door!!

Currently compiling a list of dates etc - car has been in JC for 11 days so far (so 11 days of loaners - that they refuse to insure FOC - that is a MAJOR gripe) and the prospect of probably the same time again with the other faults that I'm about to report and ongoing issues.

I think mine is a "Friday afternooner" too... but then mine is pretty early F56 production and you'd think that almost 2 years into production they'd be getting their act together!!!

I need more than a Marcliffe jolly to appease me at the moment!!

But another reason to stick with the MINI is the horrendous amount of money I'd lose in it, I wouldn't be surprised if it was about +£10K.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hi Donna,
We were at JC yesterday and I almost tripped over some material hanging out of the door, it was your knicker elastic!!

As you say, JC are really good at doing all they can to sort out our issues.....its just that there are way too many issues for a new car. - I dont think we are alone in this....looking on the forums there are way too many people with problems, most of which are niggly....although some need a whole new engine!

Depreciation is a real annoyance....Weve NEVER had a car that depreciated like this one.
Incidentally, the A1 cost similar money. I asked the Audi dealer to give me a genuine trade in price for a 4 month old A1 - he put their demonstrator with 1500 miles on it, into the system and it came back at a trade in price of £15700. We are getting £13250 for the Mini - how can 2 cars of similar spec and a similar price new be so far apart in trade in value? I guess Audi has a much higher level of perceived quality/prestige whereas Mini seems to be suffering with a bit of a reputation for low quality/dodgy reliability. Absolutely bloody ridiculous depreciation....never ever again.

One other thing....why arent they giving you free insurance on the loaners? Weve had 5 loaners in the past 4 months and never paid to insure one of them! Also, I stopped refilling them with fuel as I was so p!ssed off at having to keep driving to/from the dealers!

At the end of the day, 4 months of owning a 1.5 5 door Cooper that was a bloody disaster from week one has cost us almost £5000..... Good luck to fellow Mini owners come trade in time!!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Kugaman, sorry to read this, I've got my cooper going in next week for them to look at a couple of issues, hopefully they'll find something.

I had a problem with my car when it arrived, and the team at JC were all excellent, and have been since with parts etc.

Good luck with the A1, put some pics up and make us a tiny bit jealous, I dare you!

Thank Christ I didn't read this before I was up at JC this morning, I would have been looking for the knicker elastic....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Donna,

Depreciation is a real annoyance....Weve NEVER had a car that depreciated like this one.
Incidentally, the A1 cost similar money. I asked the Audi dealer to give me a genuine trade in price for a 4 month old A1 - he put their demonstrator with 1500 miles on it, into the system and it came back at a trade in price of £15700. We are getting £13250 for the Mini - how can 2 cars of similar spec and a similar price new be so far apart in trade in value? I guess Audi has a much higher level of perceived quality/prestige whereas Mini seems to be suffering with a bit of a reputation for low quality/dodgy reliability. Absolutely bloody ridiculous depreciation....never ever again.

At the end of the day, 4 months of owning a 1.5 5 door Cooper that was a bloody disaster from week one has cost us almost £5000..... Good luck to fellow Mini owners come trade in time!!
Ouch!

Not sure what your spec is but due to circumstances (not the car - its been pretty faultless) I have had a price to sell my one year old 3 dr Cooper back to the supplying dealer - have been offered £14k with 3500 miles on the clock. Think we paid about £19500 for it after discount....

My other car is an A6 - think I am about to find out that Audi residuals are model specific as expect even bigger losses on that over 5 months I have had it!

Will decide which goes and what for when I get a price for the Audi...

·
Registered
608 Posts
My other car is an A6 - think I am about to find out that Audi residuals are model specific as expect even bigger losses on that over 5 months I have had it!

Will decide which goes and what for when I get a price for the Audi...
Yeah, don't sell the A6...

I've had many "big" Audis (A6, S6, A8 and now S8) and EVERY time the residuals shock me. eg Trade in for mine currently at 22k miles, price new just shy of £100k, first reg Dec 2013... wait for it..... £32k :eek:

Only way to avoid depreciation is buy a 911.. something I probably should have done. BTW. The price the OP was quoted for a ex demo A1 was a bit optimistic , bit of salesmanship going on there if you ask me...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah, don't sell the A6...

I've had many "big" Audis (A6, S6, A8 and now S8) and EVERY time the residuals shock me. eg Trade in for mine currently at 22k miles, price new just shy of £100k, first reg Dec 2013... wait for it..... £32k :eek:

I only paid £32k for an ex demo A6 saloon 3.0TDi Quattro (218) with tech pack and a few other bits. I've had it nearly 5 months. I expect the trade sale price to be less that £23k.

Sadly my wife passed away before christmas and i now have two cars and only one driver - or three if you caount my sons old 206 that he doesnt need now he has started work in London - but nothing I can carry two mad spaniels in. So one or more has to go for something that takes a dog pen in the back....

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Sadly they do not sell the A1 over here. Always liked them. My Grandpa drove Audi,s all his life. Remember when Audi was still DKW and smelled like a Trabant with that 2 Stroker under the hood.

·
Registered
844 Posts
An Audi dealer, selling you an Audi, told you that the trade in price for an Audi was higher than that of a MINI. Personally, I am not surprised by that. And not convinced that s/he being 100% honest!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
An Audi dealer, selling you an Audi, told you that the trade in price for an Audi was higher than that of a MINI. Personally, I am not surprised by that. And not convinced that s/he being 100% honest!

.?

The salesman put the demo car reg number into his system, along with colour, a couple of the fitted extras and mileage.
The system generates 3 prices dependant on condition and vehicle history.

The prices generated are the average of the CAP price and the Glasses guide price.

He did the exact same thing for the Mini, so no, there was no manipulation going on.

He gave us top book trade in for the Mini as it is in immaculate, unmarked condition.
He stated if we were trading in an A1 as per the example, he would give us exactly the same, top book if in immaculate condition.
He did state, as you would expect, he could slightly increase the value (£250) of the A1 as he could resell it through the dealership. He isn't allowed to sell other brands so there wasn't this possibility with the Mini.

Since getting home, I have checked the CAP price guide (I don't have access to Glasses) and it would appear he was totally open and honest, the Audi is worth nearly £2500 more than the Mini.
A big factor here is the 17" wheels and Chili pack....it adds £2000 to the list price of the Mini and you get less than a quarter of this back on trade in.

I guess the moral here is - if you are buying a Mini, buy base spec as those thousands blown on extras are worth pennies come trade in time!

We've done exactly that with the A1....the only extra we are paying for is paint.
The car comes with 17" alloys, leather seats, HID lights, phone prep, usb, etc as standard, so no real need for any extras.

With regards to big Audis....they are like any luxury/executive car....they are financial disasters. I think this is mainly down to the fact that almost nobody buys them privately, they are always company funded.

A1, Mini, Polo, Etc are always in demand as they are generally classless and are cheap to run and maintain....

1 - 20 of 66 Posts