Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I borrowed a loan car today from mini - identical in ever way to my own new F56 MCS. The loan car has 3700 miles on it whilst mine only has about 700 on it so far.

I noticed that the loan car was slightly more responsive and lively - felt like it wanted to go a bit more than mine, when comparing sport mode on both cars.

I just wondered if this is likely due to the fact the loan car has clocked up a lot more miles and so has 'limbered up' a bit whereas mine is all still 'tight' - whether mine will likely feel more inline with the loan car in another 3k miles?

·
Registered
78 Posts
My MCS performance and handling changed noticably after I did a 4 day long distance trip....

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is absolutely what has happened.

Mine wouldn't even do 30mph in 3rd gear without complaining until it had done 1,500 miles.

·
Super Moderator
8,218 Posts
in my experience gearbox really beds in plus fuel economy increases too!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Supposedly the algorithms than run in the ECU are adaptive. Translating from nerdspeke it means that the computer learns from how the car is driven over time and adjusts its settings to provide what it thinks is the best performance given the driver's input.

I played around with my R56 once to test this. There was a way to reset the ECU back to clueless, which I did. I noticed an immediate difference in the car's performance when I did that-- it seemed smoother, but less punchy. Obviously a generic default setting that would please the dumb masses. For the next 700 miles or so I drove it like a maniac, and I believe that the performance gradually improved as I did so. I had the JCW tune on it, and have no clue if that was a factor or not. But it did seem like the computer adapted. YMMV.

So the takeaway is yes, the system learns and adapts to how it is driven. This is a fascinating and awesome feature, albeit one that may have unintended consequences in the coming decades as cars become so smart that they make every wannabe F1 pilot into Mario Andretti in the twisties.

I expect that every new car in 2025 or so will come with a dog. The driver will be expected to feed the dog, and the dog will bite the driver if he tries to touch the controls. And suddenly dash cam videos will become a LOT less entertaining. At least the ones pointed outside the cabin.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is a fascinating and awesome feature, albeit one that may have unintended consequences in the coming decades as cars become so smart that they make every wannabe F1 pilot into Mario Andretti in the twisties.

Hopefully they'll aim higher than Mario, maybe Senna. Mario was a big weak in F1, only one world championship. ;)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I borrowed a loan car today from mini - identical in ever way to my own new F56 MCS. The loan car has 3700 miles on it whilst mine only has about 700 on it so far.

I noticed that the loan car was slightly more responsive and lively - felt like it wanted to go a bit more than mine, when comparing sport mode on both cars.

I just wondered if this is likely due to the fact the loan car has clocked up a lot more miles and so has 'limbered up' a bit whereas mine is all still 'tight' - whether mine will likely feel more inline with the loan car in another 3k miles?
I'd say that the loan car has been driven straight out of the box, no need to run in as the only part that needs bedding in are the piston rings and they bed in far better by use and this is done in the first few miles.

If you saw how new vehicle are driven off the production line, dyno'd, loaded onto lorries/trains then unloaded then some heavy footed tech will give it wellie round the dealership and road tested......

·
Super Moderator
8,218 Posts
Ah the joys; this really is a great forum-cheers me up no end!(not that i was at all fed up!).

Reactions: uke
1 - 14 of 14 Posts