Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Strange spec

Hey, just found this article on the Mini One! Not sure about the spec of the car personally but a very positive review overall!

http://petrolblog.com/2014/10/mini-one-3-door-hatch-special-one/
Agree seems a strange spec, although I'm one to talk, I suspect I have ended up with an oddly speced car, which now worries me slightly when it comes time to sell it. At the time I wanted to keep costs down and resisted any "sales" attempts although I would have been interested in the spread sheet mentioned in the petrolblog article. I did try to add auto wipers/lights to mine but it was too late.

For the curious among you my spec is:

Mini One Petrol Manual
Blazing Red (Wife's choice)
Body colour mirror caps
Colour Line - Glowing Red
Rear parking sensors (my choice due to wife's reversing :eek: )
Sports steering wheel
Multi function steering wheel controls (didn't want/need cruise control, but think it is very useful and safer to have controls on steering wheel for stereo and phone)
Chrome line exterior (good value on a One because it covers several items that are standard on cooper even though it's the same price)
Storage compartment pack
16" Loop spoke alloys

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agree seems a strange spec, although I'm one to talk, I suspect I have ended up with an oddly speced car, which now worries me slightly when it comes time to sell it. At the time I wanted to keep costs down and resisted any "sales" attempts although I would have been interested in the spread sheet mentioned in the petrolblog article. I did try to add auto wipers/lights to mine but it was too late.

For the curious among you my spec is:

Mini One Petrol Manual
Blazing Red (Wife's choice)
Body colour mirror caps
Colour Line - Glowing Red
Rear parking sensors (my choice due to wife's reversing :eek: )
Sports steering wheel
Multi function steering wheel controls (didn't want/need cruise control, but think it is very useful and safer to have controls on steering wheel for stereo and phone)
Chrome line exterior (good value on a One because it covers several items that are standard on cooper even though it's the same price)
Storage compartment pack
16" Loop spoke alloys

Too be honest, you can't really go wrong with any spec being a Mini! Your spec sounds great though, lots of nice touches inside and out! :) When is your estimated delivery date Sag?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well personally I don't think you get much for the extra money on the cooper only more power and alloys. I read a review that said buy the one and use the money you saved to buy some extras. this made sense for me as if I'd bought a cooper i would have a lower spec car with more power than i needed compared to buying the mini one with the extras i wanted due to my budget.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thanks for the link! :) I would of gone for the Cooper's extra power if I wasn't 19....(car insurance... :( ) But when I test drove both of them I literally could not tell the difference
They don't take insurance into account... if you include the cheaper premiums, the Cooper probably isn't more equipment for not a lot more money... its more equipment for a shed load more money [no kiddin!] :)

PS when I was 19 (2004) I had a 1995 VW Golf 1.4 with 59bhp, a tape player and two windy windows. Was still the only guy in our university halls with a car mind ;)

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm really impressed with the 0-62mph time of the One petrol at 9.9 seconds. That's firmly within large family car normally aspirated 2.0 territory.

I love my F56 Cooper S, but as we go into winter in the UK it becomes very difficult to put all its power down - those front wheels spin far too easily in first, second and third gears.

And that's the magic of a lower powered car such as the 1.2 One. It's easily quick enough on a daily basis unless you really want the power (torque).

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm really impressed with the 0-62mph time of the One petrol at 9.9 seconds. That's firmly within large family car normally aspirated 2.0 territory.

I love my F56 Cooper S, but as we go into winter in the UK it becomes very difficult to put all its power down - those front wheels spin far too easily in first, second and third gears.

And that's the magic of a lower powered car such as the 1.2 One. It's easily quick enough on a daily basis unless you really want the power (torque).
Totally agree with you lawrothegreat! On my test drive of the One, it felt so much faster than that as well. The Mazda MX-5 1.8 takes the same time to 0-60 mph!

Just had a look on your gallery of your Cooper S....WOW! I love how you've specced your car, inside and out! Hope you're really pleased with it :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm hoping all the good things I have read about the 1.2 petrols performance mean I won't be disappointed when we get our car (wasn't able to test drive a One before ordering). Went for the One for a number of reasons, we wanted body coloured roof (so no need for Cooper), my wife isn't a confident driver so thought that giving her less power would be safer, other than engine performance (and slight mpg benefit) very little difference in spec so for less money still got same chassis, suspension and quality interior [when I ordered a glitch on the system meant that there was no difference in price for alloys between One and Cooper!]. Overall I wanted to try and keep costs down although now wish I had ordered a few extra goodies, I'm waiting to see how dull the car will be in the interior illumination department as we haven't ordered any lighting extras.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm waiting to see how dull the car will be in the interior illumination department as we haven't ordered any lighting extras.
Lighting summary:

If you got the Lighting Pack - then you get orange glows from ceiling, door crevices and footwells

If you also got the Excitement Pack - then those glows become multi coloured (either cycling through colours or steady on one of your choice). You also get white LED lights in the exterior door handles to illuminate any puddles.

I believe both are included with the Pepper pack?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm hoping all the good things I have read about the 1.2 petrols performance mean I won't be disappointed when we get our car (wasn't able to test drive a One before ordering). Went for the One for a number of reasons, we wanted body coloured roof (so no need for Cooper), my wife isn't a confident driver so thought that giving her less power would be safer, other than engine performance (and slight mpg benefit) very little difference in spec so for less money still got same chassis, suspension and quality interior [when I ordered a glitch on the system meant that there was no difference in price for alloys between One and Cooper!]. Overall I wanted to try and keep costs down although now wish I had ordered a few extra goodies, I'm waiting to see how dull the car will be in the interior illumination department as we haven't ordered any lighting extras.
Hi Sag

I test drove the Cooper at first back in May and loved it. Very very fast and economical. Had to go for the One because of the cheaper car insurance being 19. Then I went to my dealership and test drove a Mini One. I honestly could not tell any difference. It felt just as quick and everything else felt the same. How long until you get yours? :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Totally agree with you lawrothegreat! On my test drive of the One, it felt so much faster than that as well. The Mazda MX-5 1.8 takes the same time to 0-60 mph!

Just had a look on your gallery of your Cooper S....WOW! I love how you've specced your car, inside and out! Hope you're really pleased with it :)

Thanks Midnight Black and 12,000 miles into our relationship I wouldn't change a thing. You must be really excited, black paintwork and black wheels? That will look really mean! :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Midnight Black and 12,000 miles into our relationship I wouldn't change a thing. You must be really excited, black paintwork and black wheels? That will look really mean! :)
Glad to hear it! Thank you lawrothegreat, yes can't wait! Production is due to start next week :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Sag

I test drove the Cooper at first back in May and loved it. Very very fast and economical. Had to go for the One because of the cheaper car insurance being 19. Then I went to my dealership and test drove a Mini One. I honestly could not tell any difference. It felt just as quick and everything else felt the same. How long until you get yours? :)
Good to hear, should get the car in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lighting summary:

If you got the Lighting Pack - then you get orange glows from ceiling, door crevices and footwells

If you also got the Excitement Pack - then those glows become multi coloured (either cycling through colours or steady on one of your choice). You also get white LED lights in the exterior door handles to illuminate any puddles.

I believe both are included with the Pepper pack?
Didn't get the pepper pack either so no lighting packs at all!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts