Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 mni cooper s.

mine has 85k. Id like to replace the plugs with magnetic ones. what is the size, is the transmission the same as the r56?

getrag 6 speed.

the plugs are a size like m22 x 1.5 or thereabouts. some

·
Registered
406 Posts
According to Real OEM your trans doesn't fall in line with the R56 gen. I, personally, assume that the plugs won't be the same. You might be better of asking the service department at your local MINI dealership, as they will have a definite answer for you, and straight from the horse's mouth.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well in that diagram i can see a fill plug with an alan bit.

but i cant see a drain plug.
that doesnt mean there isnt one. If it doesnt have a drain plug at all it might have to be syphoned out. or a new drain plug tapped in.

it would be weird that none of the owners have stated this yet. but maybe im one of the first to want to change the oil.

I see a type of fluid to use for sale. I see a fill plug.... still no stats on what it is.

I dont believe mini will tell me lol but i think i can look myself sometime soon. I will change the oil or ill look at write ups hopefully someoen took a picture of the tranny

·
Registered
406 Posts
Not to sound like a wanker, but did you try just searching for the item?
http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-cooper/mini_cooper_magnetic_drain_oil_drain_plug.html
^gives you the option for the tran drain and fill plugs at the drop down.

This looks exactly like what you are looking for.

*Note* Most MINI service departments are friendlier than you think. You can also call around to different automotive entities who might be able to assist your fact finding questions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Not to sound like a wanker, but did you try just searching for the item?
http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-cooper/mini_cooper_magnetic_drain_oil_drain_plug.html
^gives you the option for the tran drain and fill plugs at the drop down.

This looks exactly like what you are looking for.

*Note* Most MINI service departments are friendlier than you think. You can also call around to different automotive entities who might be able to assist your fact finding questions.

theres something in that description that claims all the minis have the same plug. thats the first thing ive seen that says that. so im going to actually try and see if it has a drain plug and go back to that.

according to that

M18 X 1.5 all MINI 6 speed transmission (fill and drain plugs) need one for each

it is an m18 1.5 for all 6 speed trans in minis.

·
Registered
406 Posts
theres something in that description that claims all the minis have the same plug. thats the first thing ive seen that says that. so im going to actually try and see if it has a drain plug and go back to that.

according to that

M18 X 1.5 all MINI 6 speed transmission (fill and drain plugs) need one for each

it is an m18 1.5 for all 6 speed trans in minis.
Well then I guess you might want to inquire with your local MINI service department on that item. They should be more than happy to help you out.

But from my experience, Outmotoring.com knows their stuff. Try emailing them and inquiring about the item in question.

All you have to do is ask!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im not interested in what a parts departtment says, or what you say lol.
Im interested in someone who knows. who has turned the wrench and looked.

there are a dozen parts things online including dimple and gold plug that dont list anything for f56 manual transmissions yet.

that catalogue is the first that does, doesnt mean its right.

Im interested in someone who knows what they are talking about ( definitely not you) who has had the transmission near their face.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i know what the official mini manual trans fluid is

it is not the same as an r56, not the same as mtl.

it is 75 w 90 gl 4 v2 75 80 gl 4

because it has a different waeight oil im worried it has different plugs.

but i went ahead and ordered 2 m18 x 1.5 magnetic plugs anyway. I had a few vehciles to do maintenance on and im changing the oil so i ordered a bunch

soon im changing the oil and i may eyeball it if i see 2 plugs im going to try and have a 17 mm alan bit ready to just see if it fits. if it fits Im going to safely assum its a m18 x 1.5 bit like the r56 trans

there is no known write up of someone doing this, or even having it done at the dealer. no official mini part or bmw part that can be ordered

1 - 9 of 9 Posts