Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey its got 85k miles

2nd owner looking into all the maintenance and fluids i should change and things to check

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Very nice man, love the layout. Transmission fluid drain/flush and refill, air filter, plugs. With the mileage those would be my go to maintenance items at that mileage and what ive found about any transmission that thinks it can go a liftime without service ?.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Looks really nice; basically I would do a full old fashioned,, proper service on it;
I would; change the engine oil and filter- 5.5l easy job-post on here-two flaps in the undertray
Brake fluid-change
Air and cabin filter ; replace
Spark plugs; replace-think you need a special tool for mini plugs-at least you did on the r series-someone here might help out?
Change the coolant-mini say it's fit for life but there is no coolant around that will last more than 5 years as far as i can find
As above-change the transmission fluid-it cannot last forever either!
Grease all the hinges
Remove the road wheels and pop the brake pads out-teeny bit copper grease on backs and if you are being fussy clean and lube the sliding pins too.
Might be worth checking the alternator belt-play and wear-if in doubt replace

Really this should be how mini service the car but we all know about the costs and savings involved!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what is the size of the drain plugs i want to put magnetic ones in there. also shopping for manual transmission fluid

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks really nice; basically I would do a full old fashioned,, proper service on it;
I would; change the engine oil and filter- 5.5l easy job-post on here-two flaps in the undertray
Brake fluid-change
Air and cabin filter ; replace
Spark plugs; replace-think you need a special tool for mini plugs-at least you did on the r series-someone here might help out?
Change the coolant-mini say it's fit for life but there is no coolant around that will last more than 5 years as far as i can find
As above-change the transmission fluid-it cannot last forever either!
Grease all the hinges
Remove the road wheels and pop the brake pads out-teeny bit copper grease on backs and if you are being fussy clean and lube the sliding pins too.
Might be worth checking the alternator belt-play and wear-if in doubt replace

Really this should be how mini service the car but we all know about the costs and savings involved!

im gathering the parts for my first oil change and manual trans change, the latter of which there does not seem to be a guide.

I have another car ready to to oil change too. I bought a magnetic oil change plug for the oil but im not sure what the transmission oil change plug sizes are.
then im trying to decide between the mini oil 75 90 or getting amsoil severe gear

im going with castrol edge long life, and a mahle filter. for a anti freeze change ill go with zerex g5. these are for sale here at walmart.

i havent even rermoved those plastic things yet

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
is there a cheap source for the spark plugs?

even though i think thats smart im holding off because the spark plugs are all 23 bucks apeice stilll

i went ahead and ordered this though getting ready

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Spark-Socket-Drive-Points/dp/B019ZF461Y/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1487457124&sr=8-5&keywords=mini+spark+plug+socket[/ame]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts